Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
aristomatic

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Postby aristomatic » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:27 pm

EH results are on their site now

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Well those Jennings all sold and were good original condition at bargain prices, the lowest seen for a while. Kept stopping myself bidding as have too many already. In fact most of the machines sold

In terms of Rol a Tops, I have watched these on ebay US and private sales do not achieve the value stated earlier, in fact less than half. These people expecting silly money are usually dealers and at any time you see them asking crazy prices....As I said to someone else the Rol a Top was mass produced and non uncommon, yes less of them in the UK, but I have yet to see a early converted British version, so all imported for collectors . They seem to have been produced for the French Market and a number come up with Franc denomination. The key here is that they are popular because they have fancy fronts and a big visible escalator, so eye candy appeal and as also mentioned no Roll Royce in terms of quality.... If one wanted the eye candy appeal funny how Widget has not shifted his one with a broken part for less than a third of the price, maybe more auction fever as usual

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:32 pm

looks to be an early converted British version
KIF_1558.jpg

bandito

Postby bandito » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:43 pm

I Have to disagree with you slotsoffun. The rolatop is not a rare machine. Also 9000 for a rolator? Try looking a bit harder. Here is a picture for a rolator vendor front for less than £3500. Take a look yourself at slots of Montana. Also not only did the EH rolatop have missing vendor bits and bobs it was badly damaged. The black paint along the top of the vendor front was hiding the repair done to the broken case. Not just a chip but a 5 inch smashed in jobby. Have posted pictures. So in my opinion it will never be possible to restore the EH rolatop to a high standard without spending a heck of a lot more money on it!
image.jpg
image.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:20 pm

I agree, was surprised to the see the term "rare" along with Rolatop. Of course there are some rare variations, but I've seen a lot of them over the years. Any machine you can find multiples of for sale at any given moment over the last 40 years does not constitute rarity in my book! The complete output of Oliver Whales must be far rarer than surviving Rolatops!? Nearly 20 years ago when I was restoring my first example I dealt with Larry DeBaugh who used to be the main Watling guy, and he claimed to have well over 100 of them in stock. Found mine locally but was imported from France on 25 Centime and then converted to operate in Aust on 1 Shilling.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:05 pm

dutchboy

Postby dutchboy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi everybody, I'm new here on the forum but following this topic for a while. I was reading that there was some doubt if the Jennings machines where sold last auction. I can tell you that the Jennings Eldorado did come my way and I'm very happy with it! I'm new with the hobby and have a lot to learn with two machines which will need some little work and cleaning on the mech. I think in the nearby future I will need advice and will post a new topic. Does anybody now that the Eldorado original have lights in the top? Mine don't have it.
Greetings dutchboy.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:07 pm

:WELCOME: Dutchboy! Great to have you here and I'm glad your first purchases have been successful. It certainly looks like a nice example and I think you picked the right time to buy. I don't remember there being so many Jennings bandits for sale before. It's been a buyer's market for them this year.
203.jpg

raj

Postby raj » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:42 am

nice Governor Dutchboy. Yes, it would have had 2 light tubes at one time, with a ballast and starter mounted on a board. Any operator these days would not use them due to the age of the components and the difficulty in getting a PAT certificate. The main problem with 240v is getting a sound earth continuity throughout every metal part, so I always dump the originals and either make up low voltage LED strips or do without.

dutchboy

Postby dutchboy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:12 pm

That's the one pennymachines! Raj, the led's could be an option. I think with light it would look great. My other machine is an poinsettia i bought earlier this year from eh. This machine has some cutting in the coinentry and ascalator etc. I will be back later with a topic about that. First i clean a lot of dust, grease,oil and rust inside the eldorado !!DIG!! Thanks