More bloody stupid ebay rules

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: More bloody stupid ebay rules

Post by badpenny »

According to eBay 30 days or until the vendor withdraws the item. I can't see any restrictions on category.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Classified ads run for 28 days, and if it's a car or bike it's 14.99 to list it
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

....... the actual wording is: -

Untitled.png

widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

There was only a 28 day option for me?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Obviously they don't like you, only your money.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

The feelings mutual haha
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think there are restrictions on which categories can have classifieds, I THINK you don't get the classified option in the drop down box if the category is not supported. I may well be wrong but I've tried with certain items and never had the option. Do classified ads come up on screen during a general search for an item?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Yes, general searches find the items just the same but there is no buying options with classified adverts so you have to contact the seller for their details.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I thought similar to coppin that only certain categories supported classified ads?

I presume you could list anything in a supported category and key word searches would pick it up but unsupported category search wouldnt? Ebay I also presume remove and restrict account for multiple breaches on items deliberately listed in wrong categories for policy breach?
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

If you are registered as a business seller your personal eBay address is available for potential buyers so they can't stop contact by that method. Selling costs more though in that it is 10% of the full selling price with no upper limit (personal seller fees are capped at £250). So the selling fees are prohibitive on high value items such as jukeboxes. Who would now want to get involved in purchasing such an item from a private seller when the buyer is not allowed to make contact in order to view? Jukebox scams appear all the time. Ebay seems to think that a buyer should buy the item, then view it, and if it is not suitable the seller provides a refund. Like that is going to happen!
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

hiflyer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 pm Ebay seems to think that a buyer should buy the item, then view it, and if it is not suitable the seller provides a refund. Like that is going to happen!

But surely there is going to be a hell of a lot of negative feedback as the seller takes revenge on the buyer. Not fair on the buyer when the seller is offering what he knows to be a load of rubbish by enhancing the description.

John
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

It's all a load of crap now, surprised ebay is still going. As a seller it's a joke and I'm sure they will be losing sellers by the bucket loads the way it is now.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Jenni ... 1438.l2649

This is an interesting case.....or cabinet.

I saw this and thought the seller, in trying to get around legal and eBay issues by listing a cabinet and mechanism in separate listings may possibly lose out. I was going to message them but thought better as eBay would only accuse one or both of off eBay sales. I just wanted to warn them that they may only get a bid on the cabinet at £295 start but maybe not on the mech.

Anyway I see now that the cabinet does indeed have a bid but not the mechanism. Maybe as in auction style seller will get a lot more bids on the cabinet. However, if both had been priced same as buyitnow listings the seller may well have just had the mechanism to sell at 295 on its own, possibly a tougher sell?

EBay originally allowed separate listings for mechanisms and cabinets.This too is also now a policy breach if they decide the mechanism is for the cabinet also listed. I'm not sure how they decide that but I'm sure that if the seller's descriptions are similar for the two and both are listed in close proximity then they are more likely to be removed.

I was going to list a couple of machines each at the Elephant and/or Coventry auctions but not sure I can get down, so as a backup decided to get a couple of GC permits, so I can list on eBay too, although I'm sure they will find some other, non slot machine policy violation, to remove them too.

Edit: Cabinet listing now removed as "sold" and mechanism listing removed.
Last edited by aristomatic on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

wembleylion wrote:
hiflyer wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 pm Ebay seems to think that a buyer should buy the item, then view it, and if it is not suitable the seller provides a refund. Like that is going to happen!

But surely there is going to be a hell of a lot of negative feedback as the seller takes revenge on the buyer. Not fair on the buyer when the seller is offering what he knows to be a load of rubbish by enhancing the description.

John
the seller cannot leave negative feedback
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

If sellers receive message from buyers wanting to view b4 auction end

or wanting to initiate an off eBay transaction, an option for the seller is

to list a different item at minimum sell price, as a collection only item,

as buyitnow & communicate listing to interested parties.They "buy" the

old screw or similar item, pay by paypal then both parties communicate

directly via email, as email supplied at point of the PayPal purchase..

Could even list fake in multiple item format so any number of interested

parties could register interest via this legitimate fake item. Sellers could

photograph non fake item within a group shot of 10 or 20 other itens and

get interested parties for all the items off just the one free listing, then can

communicate & sell directly other x9 or x19 items as offebay transactions?

All those 20p's could make you a few bob too...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

in the past I have seen people on this site say they bought on ebays as "pay on collection" then simply refuse to pay when they get there and take a look saying "not as advertised"

Ebay will never penalize the buyer for that and the seller cant leave bad feedback for the buyer, even if he could he wouldn't as bad feedback against a seller hits much harder than bad feedback against a buyer would.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Many also have been known to hit "Buy Now" and then open negotiations upon arrival for no better reason than they can. SkEpTiCaL
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

suspended again lol, for relisting an empty cabinet that they said was fine to list last time haha , what a bunch of muppets ebay are
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

what one do you choose ? lol
Attachments
2017-10-06 22.49.44.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

thats easy widg, here are the answers in order
yes
yes