Shefras "Time limit" for sale

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Shefras "Time limit" for sale

Post by coppinpr »

A nice Shefras "Time limit" in fully working condition has just been listed for sale at the www.penny-arcade.info site market place
time limit 1.jpg

treefrog

Re: Shefras "Time limit" for sale

Post by treefrog »

I noticed this at the Saturday auction of Bentlys in Kent, did it not sell or selling on quickly do you know. I know the estimate was 450 to 500, so did not follow
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I note that the listing says that the cabinet is varnished oak. In fact, the cabinet is a softwood and the front is oak faced plywood.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't think it's oak faced. Looks more like teak perhaps.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

EBay too I see
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I checked with the seller about his description and he admits hes no wood expert,hes had a closer look and now says front is faced but sides,top and bottom are solid and dovetailed, Im no wood expert either but is that really teak :!?!:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I don't think it's oak faced. Looks more like teak perhaps.
Reason I said it's oak is that I think it was my machine long ago. If so, when I got it, it was a bit beat up and I decided to oak veneer the front. As far as I know, these machines were always painted cabinets. I've followed the machine's progress over the years as it has re-appeared for sale a number of times and in a number of auctions (from different sellers). I got it from the USA, so it has become a well travelled machine!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The quality of the cabinets always lets those down. The one below sold a year ago at the Elephant for £440 and is the nicest finish I have seen on these, although with the quarter sawn oak fleck, I wonder if that was original as well. One of the mistakes people seem to make on these is put heavy varnish on to try and get a finish due to the rough surface, but ends up looking terrible.

I do recall seeing one I thought past in blue and though it looked nice, can’t find the picture. So was paint finish standard?

Also I have seen written that Amusement Mart was the maker of these which is the same company as Shefras (Mr PM) is that right? I have a Payola, same plain Jane rough plywood front......
Attachments
C16C0527-A2EC-4FF7-B848-7EE7D595A985.jpeg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

The one Treefrog, mentions was definitely mine; I was assuming that the first posted picture in this thread was of the same machine. As I said, I sold mine many years ago (as I acquired a Beat the clock) and it was superfluous. So it seems that there are at least two veneered machines out there.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I imagine then that nobody has re-veneered that first cabinet shown, that will just be the original surface of the paint stripped plywood.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm ...paint stripped plywood.

I think that's probably right. The one Widget put in the Museum is also unpainted veneer, but may have been painted originally, of course.
treefrog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 pmI do recall seeing one I thought passed in blue and thought it looked nice, can’t find the picture. So was paint finish standard?

It's in the Museum: Shares
treefrog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 pm Also I have seen written that Amusement Mart was the maker of these which is the same company as Shefras (Mr PM) is that right?

Yes. See Morris Shefras

Years ago I bought a couple of these late, unrestored Shefras allwins which were in ply cabinets with nice original oak veneers, so they did make them (one was a Payola). I assume they opted for paint as a further money saving measure at some point.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The one I had years back was painted red, quite suited it.