Canterbury Auction Galleries sale 5-6 Feb

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Canterbury Auction Galleries sale 5-6 Feb

Post by pennymachines »

Yesterday I put a forthcoming sale at Canterbury Auction Galleries in the Calendar. It's February 5-6th and I'm informed it will contain a set of 3 Bryans magic machines, a set of Bryans three ball allwins and a Smuggler working model, amongst other slot machines (not sure which of the two days).
treefrog

Re: Canterbury Auction Galleries sale 5-6 Feb

Post by treefrog »

Wow, so many auctions in February and March, shame I have no money. :#:
andy d

Post by andy d »

Lots 711 to 726 ...............has someone died? :shock:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Wow, so many auctions in February and March, shame I have no money
open up one of those shipping containers and sell a few.........then you can buy some more :lol:
JC

Post by JC »

Well, the auctioneers have certainly done their homework with some of (or rather most of) the dates attributed to the slots (NOT). 1970s Bryans Magic machines, which were actually made in '85; 1960s Merchantman crane, actually dating from the '30s; Bryans 3 Ball allwins all dated 1950s, which weren't actually produced until the '60s onward; 1940s Payramid, again produced from the '60s onward. And isn't that 1950s Passion tester one of Roger Gillman's?
.......and if anyone is considering bidding online, the commission is a whopping 30% :shock:
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Judging by the auction house estimates, which generally in my experience reflect the reserves, there will be no bargains there on the day! 30% commission. :shock:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

bryans fan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:41 am 30% commission.
Although in theory the magic machines and working model are slightly under.....

Are these the famous trio of magic machines with serial numbers in line, or has there been a few of these... The fact that these were never made to operate, or so I assume, if they went straight into collector world surely removes something, like history..... I wouldn’t pay a premium for these SkEpTiCaL . The single machine looks much nicer. !!THUMBSX2!!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

treefrog wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 pmThe single machine looks much nicer
I couldn't agree more TF.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Results from this sale now in the Arena.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks PM.....never saw machines in person, but those 3 ball machines either just left the factory or have new cabinets on them, maybe reflected in resulting price !PUZZLED!

All way beyond my means :#:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The "1940s" Payramid, as JC pointed out is the '60s version of the game, but in fact this one would have been made in the late '80s or '90s by Jim Bryan, who substituted orange leatherette at that time for the traditional green.

716.jpg

Roger Gillman's fantasy love test did well at £680.
frayle

Post by frayle »

If the Payramid was made as recently as the 1980s/'90s then presumably it would have been produced in order to sell directly to a collector, as opposed to a showman, who clearly would have had no interest in it, particularly as it operates using the traditional old penny?
Perhaps this explains the marvellous condition of these machines - the fact that they were made long after their intended 'time', and were bought for nostalgic reasons, and not for use by the masses in a commercial capacity?
Otherwise why make machines designed to use the old penny in the '90s? OR, are they in fact that recent....?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

frayle wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 pm If the Payramid was made as recently as the 1980s/'90s then presumably it would have been produced in order to sell directly to a collector, as opposed to a showman, who clearly would have had no interest in it, particularly as it operates using the traditional old penny?
Yes, that was the market by this time. I bought an old penny Payramid and Three Ball game from Jim myself. Pricewise they were attractive, and in perfect condition of course, but rate of production was inevitably low, as Jim mostly worked single handed by this time. Presumably the game could be accurately dated by its serial number, if he was still applying them.
frayle

Post by frayle »

Interesting. I wonder how many 'modern' machines of the various types Jim Bryan made in those later years?

How much did your Payramid cost back then if you don't mind telling? If you do no worries!

The Canterbury Payramid has a number of 998 - does that tell us anything about quantities made generally?

According to Braithwaite's book a total of 1003 Payramids were made, which seems to dovetail quite neatly with the apparent production date of No.998 - almost too neatly!?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Off the top of my head, I'd say it was about £350 - don't know if I still have the receipt...

The precise '1003 Payramids' came from Mr Bryan's order book, recording when and where the machines were sold (a keen collector now has this useful document). Given its condition, it makes sense that only five more were made after this one.

Interesting to see that Roger was selling the Passion Tester for £625 in the '80s - not quite kept up with inflation: https://pennymachines.co.uk/arena/smn-22/
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I always had assumed and believe read on the site before, Bryan’s numbers started at 101 for number 1 machine !PUZZLED!
JC

Post by JC »

The Canterbury Payramid has a number of 998 - does that tell us anything about quantities made generally?

According to Braithwaite's book a total of 1003 Payramids were made, which seems to dovetail quite neatly with the apparent production date of No.998 - almost too neatly!?
For those who are not aware, all of Bryans serial numbers started at 101, so in this instance, serial number 998 wasn't the fifth to last, there were another 105 after this machine.
As for:
(a keen collector now has this useful document).
It really is a pity that this 'keen' collector doesn't seem to be inclined to share this information :#:
JC

Post by JC »

Sorry froggie, you beat me to it......
JC

Post by JC »

Just looked at the prices in the Arena. Stupid money thrown at some of the machines, but a few sold for pretty fair money, taking commission into consideration. Can't believe the Bryans 3 Ball 9 Cup sold for the same money as that god-awful Parkers Carousel.
frayle

Post by frayle »

JC wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:04 am

For those who are not aware, all of Bryans serial numbers started at 101, so in this instance, serial number 998 wasn't the fifth to last, there were another 105 after this machine.
As for:
(a keen collector now has this useful document).
It really is a pity that this 'keen' collector doesn't seem to be inclined to share this information :#:

Is it really likely that a further 105 Payramids were made in the late 1980's and 90's - would there have been such a demand from 'collectors', many of whom apparently didn't even realise such machines could be bought at all at this time?

If there were such a number then surely thirty plus years on they would be popping up at auction on a very regular basis?

Can't really see it - until we find Payramids numbered well over the 1000 mark?

Anybody out there have No 1075 or even 1103 ?? Etc etc.