Peter Wilson Sale: 18/07/19

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

Re: Peter Wilson Sale: 18/07/19

Post by coppinpr »

Having looked at the rules of bidding at this auction house a couple of things come to light.
Although still very high the commission is listed as 26.4% inc VAT all inclusive.

The use of a credit/debit card doesn't seem to attract a fee (legally it can't but some houses do still try to charge one), but the restrictions are a little confusing -
this from there site:
PLEASE NOTE: Debit and Credit card payments where the card holder is not present will only be accepted for transactions up to £500. Credit card payments may only be made using chip and pin up to £2,000.
The first part clearly refers to "card holders not present", which is a big restriction, especially for bidders from overseas; the second part, I assume, refers to bidding in person at the auction (or does it mean up to a total of £2000?) and would mean you can't bid on some machines at all unless you have part cash at the very least.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi all, I see that there are a couple of mine on there that I made, The Smithy & The Pool Tote. It will be interesting to see what they fetch. Pete.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes Pete, I remember those. Didn't you have one stolen? Were they numbered? Or am I imagining it all?
BP !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pmThe first part clearly refers to "card holders not present", which is a big restriction, especially for bidders from overseas; the second part...
They also say:
As a general rule any cheques tendered will need to be cleared before removal of the goods is permitted. Please discuss with our Office in advance of the sale if other methods of payment are envisaged (except cash).
So absentee bidders could pay with old fashioned cheques and, I'm sure, by BACS. For removal on the day, looks like it's debit card or cash if the bill exceeds £2,000.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi
It was Poz who had one stolen - they broke into his bus through the roof. That was the only machine they took. Pete.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

BACS looks like the only real option if bidding online as although they say they take cheques the logistics would make it impractical, (how long do they allow for you to get a cheque to them? How long to clear? How long will they let you leave the machine there before storage charges?) They say credit card for online bidders is max £500. Is that per lot or total bill? If total bill it's pretty much unusable.

The more you read the descriptions, the more it would seem they have received little or no information and have no idea at all what they are selling so I'm guessing no real input from the seller. A few machines have no maker's name listed, some descriptions take the "if you drop in a coin something appears to happen (or not as the case may be)" view, also some are listed as jammed, and others "not working at present" which is at least fairer than some houses.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 pm I do like the two Boland (?) "Bomber Command" machines with different aircraft types as reel symbols. Have we ever discussed these on the forum? I don't recall it.
Briefly mentioned here: World War 1 and 2 related Machines
cait001

Post by cait001 »

What an amazing collection! Wish I could find something like these in Canada.

Estimates are a bit wild. I don't understand this one: https://www.peterwilson.co.uk/auction/l ... 6&pn=1&g=1
Automatic Industries Maple Leaf pinball machine.
In America a number of these square and round pinball machines were made by major and minor manufacturers. They did very poorly and they do not fetch good money at all.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It's the most bizarre of several crazy estimates.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Going to the viewing on Saturday and then to the auction on Thursday. Have my eye on a couple of allwins and maybe one bandit - bearing in mind the 26.4%. Never been to an auction house before, so looking forward to it.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Will also be going, hopefully we are after different things. |/XX\|
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

alan57 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:45 pm Never been to an auction house before, so looking forward to it.
Don't forget if you have a question during the auction just put your hand up.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I want what you all want, whatever that is. :roll:

Will be going, just to at least see the items. I have my eyes on one machine that I would not normally go for, but may change mind once there. I wish I was close enough to view, I have to get up at 4am to have a chance to view.

Some nice rare machines, perhaps more for the wall collector than bandit, but as has been mentioned odd reserves on some machines of which the following obviously they do not want to sell as if reserves exist usually near lower estimate is reserve.

Lot 5 and 6 Rockola machines as £2k to £2.5k
Lot 9 Payramid £3k to £3.5k
Lot 23 Butterfly £4K to £4.5k
Lot 32 Maple Leaf £2k to £2.5k
Lot 79 Trickler (worse estimate of all) £7k to £7.5k
Lot 112 Major League £2k to £2.2k

We will see if course, see you there !!THUMBSX2!!
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Was hoping to get there early on the auction day, as the auction house has a small car park.
sod's law, we will be bidding on the same machines. :shock:
Thanks for the advice moonriver. :lol:
See you on the auction day Tom and RadioChrissie.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I wouldn't worry about bids from fellow collectors/members here. You all know what they're worth and because you'll see them in the flesh you'll fully understand what you're bidding on.
The ones to worry about are those sitting at home bidding on the internet, they're the ones that go whappy with the bid button while assuming everything is in perfect condition.

BP :cool:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

badpenny wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm
The ones to worry about are those sitting at home bidding on the internet, they're the ones that go whappy with the bid button while assuming everything is in perfect condition.

BP :cool:
Also, when bidding online, if 5 bidders press their button at the same time then it puts in 5 consecutive accumulative bids which really puts the price up.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That can't be right. It can only bid up to the indicated increment when you push the button. If five online bidders hit 'Bid £400' simultaneously, one will be given the lead bid of £400 and the others will find they were too late and offered a 'Bid £420' button (if the increment is £20).

Of course, if there's a higher proxy bid already in place, it will jump up to £420 when someone bids £400 and go to the proxy bidder for that amount unless there are more bids.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Viewing day Saturday. Spoke to Chris Large who is in charge of the viewing day, who said that the machines belong to a guy who now lives in America (he wouldn't say who). The machines have been in storage for some time. The condition of the machines - some worked, some didn't, spotted woodworm on some of the machines. The bandits mostly didn't work, the Mills Hi Top was held together by gravity! Front sides and back not bolted together, also jammed.
Chris informs me that if some of the machines in the auction don't reach their reserve price, the auctioneers can sell 10% below the reserve.
Lots of interest on a number of machines. Asked why some of the valuations seemed very high, this was mainly because the seller (who ever he/she is) set the valuation high - I guess they didn't want to sell them!

The auction starts at 10 o'clock, and will take about 2 hours (according to Chris).
Peter Wilson car park is small, so I suggest the people who intend going to arrive early. Gates open 8.30.

Viewing day pictures
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Thanks Alan for uploading pics and info. Hopefully see you Thursday, and oh yes, good luck. |/XX\|
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks for the update, I have no expectations, but just looking forward to the experience. Will be interesting to see what is what... Maybe the high priced machines will be heading over the water.

FD92767F-F6FE-45EC-9269-C8771D47A155.jpeg

Prices are funny at the moment, an auction today in Suffolk had a few slot machines in, with a Hi Top making 150 and a Lite Up the same, but an interesting coloured Brooklands raised 800 excluding commission......

3E53E49C-AD9F-4EEA-87AC-EE27547A1D2F.jpeg

What did interest me in this sale was the Brecknell BMR Slot Automatic petrol sign from a petrol pump from the '20s... See below a machine it would have sat on... I guess unattended coin-op petrol machines would not be allowed in our world today.

Topic slit, copied and moved to Coin operated petrol pumps Site Admin.
Attachments
19FF483D-934D-4231-A8BF-C3F077B45686.png