'Travel Round the World' pinball on ebay

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

'Travel Round the World' pinball on ebay

Post by coppinpr »

Saw this really interesting 1930s pinball on ebay and wondered if anyone has more info on it. Made by PEO - who were they? I know they made the popular Daisy square pinball, but nothing else about them. What did the electrics do? The seller says it lacks a transformer, but I know it was originally battery powered. The ball run is very odd. Trace it round, it seems to come to a stop half way(?) Does an electric bumper kick it on from there? If so, I cant see it, and how does that backflash scoring work? !PUZZLED! American made, and I think the address is the last line of the instruction card, but it's too small to see. Interesting tilt mechanism, I wonder how that works? I'm asking the seller for an inside photo.

travel-pinballa.jpg

Found another PEO pin ball machine on the net, again an interesting machine. I'd like to know more.
Attachments
peo pinball.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: 'Travel Round the World' pinball on ebay

Post by badpenny »

I too puzzled over the ball run and concluded it must get chucked out in order to enter the lower part.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

According to the entry in The International Arcade Museum:

Travel was produced by Peo Manufacturing Co. in 1935.

Peo Manufacturing Co. released 28 different machines in our database under this trade name, starting in 1929.

Other machines made by Peo Manufacturing Co. during the time period Travel was produced include All American Football, Wee-Gee, One-Two-Three, Justice, Pigskin, Mat-Cha-Skor, Pole Vault, Daisy, and Midget Hi-Ball.

There is no known listing for this game in any of the standard reference books, but it does appear on a list of games made from 1931-1939 which was published in the January 1940 issue of the Coin Machine Journal.

J Peterson
Traveling Man, USA
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And it sold for £130 at the Elephant House last year.
Attachments
95.jpg
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Batteries were really popular in 1934 pinball machines and by 1935 manufacturers were trying kind of wonky layouts like this one. I think it was a way to showcase the kicker action, but it really tends to just limit the playfield.
One of the most sought-after of this kind of games would be Chicago Express, which came out months earlier https://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=503&picno=25176&zoom=1

Side note: Square pinballs like 'Daisy' were never actually popular, and so no one really made them past 1932.