Ultra-rare Nintendo PlayStation prototype sells for just $360,000

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Ultra-rare Nintendo PlayStation prototype sells for just $360,000

Post by pennymachines »

Ultra-rare Nintendo PlayStation prototype sells for just $360,000 at auction after owner turned down $1.2 MILLION from a private buyer ‘because he thought he could make more money out of a bidding war’ Mailonline, 9th March

An American coin-op collector (well known to many collectors here, and member of this forum) bought a rare prototype of the unreleased ‘Nintendo PlayStation’ console at auction on Monday. I'm sure it wasn't the first vendor to learn a lesson too late about the danger of holding out for more. SkEpTiCaL

treefrog

Re: Ultra-rare Nintendo PlayStation prototype sells for just $360,000

Post by treefrog »

What coin does it take !2CENTS! !2CENTS!

I do agree though on a number of occasions people have made good offers for machines I have had and decided not to push too much and certainly not go to auction if they offered a fair price....at the end of the day if you are better off, sometimes better to let someone else enjoy if it is not a key part of your collection..
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

pity it wasn't part of the Coventry auction, the two "J"s could have bought the Counden luxury country club with the commission and turned it into " the national museum of coin operated amusement machines and dedicated auction house" (and kept the bar) :cool:
cait001

Post by cait001 »

I don't like focusing on the money angle. Kudos to Ben Heck for all the work he did on this console, and to the new owner who wants it to be exhibited often.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The 'money angle' is all that the General Public understand.
It's what sells the newspapers.
I had my Novelty Merchantman in the reception at work when I first got it. I was hoping for some childhood reminiscences about the old arcade days.
All I got was "****in' 'ell, that must be worth a fortune!".
I took it home.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I wonder why the European who made the 1.2 million offer didn't end up buying it at the auction? :!?!: Maybe got bored and moved onto other things.....
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I wonder why the European who made the 1.2 million offer didn't end up buying it at the auction?
do we know that he didnt and got a bargain? I only scanned through the video and didn't notice what it said about the buyer, even if it appears he didnt he may well have bought it through a false bidder,it would make sense for both the seller and buyer not to let it be known that someone who offered 1.2 m was one of the bidders