Charlie Chaplin Catcher

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Charlie Chaplin Catcher

Post by treefrog »

May as well add this as never seen similar and slightly different to other catchers we have seen. Sold for £1120 today on eBay operating on half penny....

Is it English !PUZZLED! or maybe French, only based on some of the cabinet metalwork....
Attachments
A4C4686A-21BD-4C7C-B1AD-9C9C66C0A213.jpeg
6460B9FF-2ED9-4787-BA68-E51523D58A90.jpeg
85BAE243-AF71-4169-944D-8AEB7127CA41.jpeg
AEC583D0-9F91-4B22-94D4-1C79AF7C6E01.jpeg
john t peterson

Re: Charlie Chaplin Catcher

Post by john t peterson »

What an unusual catcher. The composite balls would suggest that it is an early rather than late machine. I have my suspicions about the Chaplin character being original to the game. The bottom row of pins have been removed from the playfield. It is not possible to tell depth but from the picture, but it would appear that Charlie's hat sticks up above the bottom row. Is this why the pins were removed?

Also, the balls appear to be launched to the top from some form of striker at the bottom right. If that is the case, why have a ball entry hole at the top center of the play field? This is where the ball normally is introduced on the traditional Bajazzo but this game lacks the mechanism to transport the ball from the bottom of the play field to the inside top of the game.

Unusual, indeed. I'm voting for a modified Bajazzo or at least a game based on the genre.

J Peterson
Unusually American
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

JP, this is one of the much simpler ball lift mechs, but obviously they wanted to keep the look of the game which was very popular. Plus didn't want to have to fully re-engineer the playfield to add in a pinball style arch. There is just a hidden runway behind the felt and that top hole is really the only place it can come out and then randomly fall either way.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I see that you are correct, Gameswat. What about Charlie Chaplin? Think he is original to the game?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

JP, yes good spot about the missing pins, why else would they have been removed? Looks like he has a wider two part mustache strangely? !PUZZLED!
lukas590

Post by lukas590 »

I bought it.
I saw it for the first time in my life so I had to have it.
If anyone knows who produced it I will be happy to thank you for the information.
the-artful-dodger

Post by the-artful-dodger »

Hi,
I know I’m new to this. I was very interested in it, but didn’t look right. The pins were removed for a reason. If something doesn’t seem right, there is a reason. That’s why I didn’t bid on it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm afraid I can't shed any light on it, but it looks more British than German to me.

A couple more 'Chaplin catchers':
Attachments
85.jpg
76.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

gameswat wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:52 pm JP, yes good spot about the missing pins, why else would they have been removed? Looks like he has a wider two part mustache strangely? !PUZZLED!
I would suggest that the character ISN'T Charlie Chaplin.
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

gameswat wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:52 pm JP, yes good spot about the missing pins, why else would they have been removed?
I think someone has used a J&M Bajazzo playfield to built up this machine.
lukas590

Post by lukas590 »

Please do you have someone in the collection exactly the same? I need to see what the Chaplin figurine painting looks like for restoration. Thank you.