Barrel of Fun

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
cait001

Barrel of Fun

Post by cait001 »

Anyone seen one of these before?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Trade- ... 3108955573

Looks kind of... "indie"...
Attachments
barreloffun.jpg
treefrog

Re: Barrel of Fun

Post by treefrog »

Looks like the kids were let loose on it with a nice lick of paint and a redesign :HaHa:

My guess is it’s early and maybe Haydon and Urry 1895 barrels game or similar, cheap cheap cheap.....

Victualler's Shooting Range
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The barrels and rhd mech looks very similar to John's machine, but the rest appears to be a later revamp in the 20's or 30's, and converted to payout Pennies.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

oh yes, parts of it look exact to John's Shooting Range.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Forgot to mention the payout cup was likely salvaged from a Bajazzo/Clown. And presumably the payout and handle mech from an Allwin. The pediment hangs too far over the side edges which I've never seen on a production piece as just asking to get snapped off. So definitely pieced together from leftover parts. Still an interesting earlyish machine though.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Spot on, Gameswat. A little cartoonish but I do like it, I do.

J Peterson
Barrels of Joy, USA !!CHEERS!!
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Machine sold for US $392.00.
Since these seem to be rare, here's more photos for the forum archive.
Attachments
Barrels-of-Fun-2a.jpg
Barrels-of-Fun-3a.jpg
Barrels-of-Fun-4a.jpg
Barrels-of-Fun-5a.jpg
Barrels-of-Fun-6a.jpg
john t peterson

Not to spoil the surprise but I'm the lucky winner. More information to follow after I've taken possession and had a chance to suss out the mechanism together with advice from the incomparable Gameswat.

J Peterson
Barrels of intrigue, USA
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well guys, just like every other conspiracy in history this one played out just perfectly! By us laying that machine especially suited to one JP right under his nose we well and truly suckered him back into the fold of loyal Penny Machine collectors! And being a Yank, he'll never suspect a thing......!!HIDING!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

At $392, I say he stole it! :cry:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

A worthy, Nay, desirable outcome!

BP !!COOEE!!
cait001

Post by cait001 »

pennymachines wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 pm At $392, I say he stole it! :cry:
British machines tend to be twice as valuable in the UK markets vs the North American markets, thanks to lack of nostalgia.
john t peterson

I've thought long and hard as to why British games are so undervalued here in America. The lack of nostalgia or familiarity is one important factor, no doubt. We tend to pine for games of our youth and British coin-op was not a part of the American experience. I think there may be a more subtle factor in play too. Most of the entertainment produced here after turn of the century was mass produced. Slot machines are an excellent example. Once the prototype was perfected, mass quantities were produced and sold. The copies were identical, bright and shiny new. This resulted in a collector desire to have the same bright and shiny item again as an adult. Look at the slots up for collection in the US; the ones that bring the highest prices are the ones that look like old new stock.

This collecting paradigm is counter to the British model. Many of the British games were hand made if not hand assembled. They shared a common identity but not an identical production in many cases. As a result, uniqueness is part and parcel of the British collecting psyche. That is missing, for the most part, in the American collector and may explain their lack of appreciation for the utterly charming and unique British pieces that come to market here in the US. This is also called "opportunity" for the American collector who appreciates the charm and sophistication of your machines.

J Peterson
American collector of British treasure !!USA!! /\UK/\
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Very erudite John and spot-on with your observations/views, could not agree more.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You've put more thought and understanding into your summary John Son of Peter than most British citizens would invest in deciding which roast meat to have on a Sunday. I prefer beef with horseradish then Lamb with mint sauce. Chicken is bland.

One point you made above; which I feel is worthy of a thread on its own is ....
john t peterson wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:21 pm the ones that look like old new stock.
I've often referred to "NOS", which is New Old Stock, but I've never heard of "old new stock".
What I find curious is that normally if you transpose adjectives in the same sentence you end up with the opposite meaning or at the very best confusion/nonsense ( I am fluent in gibberish). However in this case New Old Stock and Old New Stock are easily understood to mean the same. Unlike double negatives which cancel out each other, or when the meaning of a sentence battles against itself.
* Harry and I went to different schools together.
* One of his eyes was both the same.
* He was a very tall diminutive man.

I'm feeling tired now and will visit my special dark room thank you.

BP :dammit:
john t peterson

BP. Thank you for your erudite correction. I should not be posting after either 10 PM or two beers. I shall not admit which was the case here. You are correct, it is New Old Stock to which I was referring. I shall now retire to the fridge for my refreshments.

J Peterson
Never Knew how Old in USA
john t peterson

I want to thank Cait001 for the original posting regarding the "Barrels of Fun." My Ebay hunting days are in my rearview mirror so without the sharp eye of Cait001, I would not be the current conservator of aforementioned game. When things slow down on the farm, I will post more information on the machine.

Thank you, Cait001.

J Peterson
Over a barrel in America
cait001

Post by cait001 »

john t peterson wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:42 am I want to thank Cait001 for the original posting regarding the "Barrels of Fun." My Ebay hunting days are in my rearview mirror so without the sharp eye of Cait001, I would not be the current conservator of aforementioned game. When things slow down on the farm, I will post more information on the machine.

Thank you, Cait001.

J Peterson
Over a barrel in America
You're quite welcome, and I'm delighted that it was someone here who bought it!
I love the rare and obscure machines, and I can't afford most of them, so I'm always happy to help be sure they get to people who appreciate them similarly.
Looking forward to your findings!