Essex Greyhound Racer identified

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Greyhound 2 player Race in the USA

Post by pennymachines »

brigham wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 am It looks very like the familiar R&W wooden cases, even down to the players' handles...
I believe the handles are smaller than on R&W racers (and Chester Pollards for that matter) which, together with the close picket fencing, are the main external clues to the Essex mechanism.
gameswat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:30 pm Whether any had R&W labels I can't rightly remember but I've always thought they were responsible.
Like this re-cased Ahrens Footballer (EH sale 2015)?

258.jpg

As these were found in the UK, with British mechanisms, we can rule out Mike Munves - and a similarity to the R&W wooden cases is evident.
roger

Re: Essex Greyhound Racer identified

Post by roger »

!!YIPPEE!! HERNIA MYSTERY SOLVED !!!.......Many years ago I posted about an incident that happened circa 1970. I had purchased 4 huge English pier machines from a small American auction house. How they got there is a mystery in itself.
Two of the "Play Polo" machines were housed in steel cabinets which weighed a ton. They were not tin-covered wood as shown in this post..i.e. football, racer,soccer, golf.
So, the question remained, what were these steel cabinet machines that caused my friends and I to end up with hernias ???
The recent Morphy auction May lot # 5395 may have solved this mystery as it looks like my cabinets with a fancy paint job and fitted with a Essex greyhound mechanism...........confusing, to say the least.
GAMESWAT, posted that "Play Polo" was the most popular of all the games but I have found that this model is the rarest one of all in today's collections. ROGER
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

roger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm GAMESWAT, posted that "Play Polo" was the most popular of all the games
gameswat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:54 am Polo seemed to be a popular re-vamp.
That's a lot of extra info from my simple comment Roger. I've seen a couple more of the Polos than other games but I've never taken much interest in these revamped games so never confessed to know much about them.
roger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm They were not tin-covered wood as shown in this post
I don't remember ever seeing any tin covered wood cases in my travels, just those streamlined 1950's all tin or steel cases with the older 1920's mechs.
roger

Post by roger »

Along with GAMESWAT, I am not a big fan of the revamps.......however, the Morphy $8600 sale price cannot be denied for item #5395 with a number of under bidders. ROGER