BAC 1911 Railway Contracts

Graphics, flyers, instructions and other materials.
pennymachines
Site Admin

BAC 1911 Railway Contracts

Post by pennymachines »

Your PennyMachines 2010 Christmas treat:
I just purchased these two 4th March 1911 Agreements between the British Automatics Company, Limited and the Midland and North East Railway Companies regarding Automatic Sweetmeats (Nestlé's & Peters' milk chocolate, cigarettes & matches) and Weighing Machines on the Swinton, Knottingley, Otley and Ilkley joint lines (superseding prior agreements between said rail co. and the Sweetmeat Automatic Delivery Company, Ltd.)
Don't say I never spoil you. !WINK!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: BAC 1911 Railway Contracts

Post by coin-op »

Well, I feel truly spoilt! Next year can I see the 1895 and 1898 agreements...seems that they were pretty weighty documents going by the references to pages in the 200 + region. Have you ever seen a Peter's chocolate machine? I've seen pic's of one in a book, but never actually seen a machine with the Peters name casting on it. I also wonder just how many of the eight column machines survived; my guess is not many as they must have been heavy, although equally impressive beasts. Anyway, enjoyed reading them!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Coin-op wrote:I've seen pic's of one in a book, but never actually seen a machine with the Peters name casting on it.
Nor have I. Thanks to that excellent little Shire Album publication, Automatic Vending Machines by Colin Emmins we have some great pictures of once common but now very rare machines, including this definitive 1934 platform image, in which can be spied two (foreground and background) Peter's Swiss Milk Chocolate vendors, a double Nestlé's Chocolate vendor, a B.A.C. Try Your Weight scale and two eight column B.A.C. vending machines. I wonder which station it was.

As the advert below proclaims, Peter's was the first and original milk chocolate, thanks to Swiss manufacturer, Daniel Peter's success in combining chocolate with powdered milk. The powdered milk was supplied by neighbour, Heinrich Nestlé, who later produced milk chocolate under license to Peter, before the two companies merged. http://rococochocolates.com/blog/swiss- ... ch-nestle/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

That's quite a picture. Interestingly, I noted that the topsigns are square, but the few Nestle machines I have ever seen have oval shaped signs. Ever seen the type featured in the photo's?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What a treat .......... however I fear I can only service the machines we put at Knottingley as Otley and Ilkley are a bit too far over for me.
Try Stuart he lives near Halifax.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The scale with the BAC logo is actually a junior Salter circa 1890! Still a few of these in Aust. Though not anywhere as common as the ornate models here. I was actually just offered a junior model by the talking scale seller in NZ. But hard to sell for much since they're so simple in design, they look like they should date 1920s or 30s.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:What a treat .......... however I fear I can only service the machines we put at Knottingley as Otley and Ilkley are a bit too far over for me.
Try Stuart he lives near Halifax.
And if I thought for one minute they were still there, I would be over to "service" them like a shot. :cry: