Rotamints

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Credit where credit is due!

Post by badpenny »

I agree, I like them and although I have none at the moment I've had several over the years, and wouldn't turn my nose up at one. :cool:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I've got a Bergmann too, called Hobby. Select a number from 1 to 5. Reels spin. You can choose to stop the middle number reel (or just let it do its own thing). If it matches your selected number you win the sum of the outside reels. Mine has got a change giver. So you can play on 1NP (it also takes 20p), then put 10np in the left hand slot, which gives you 1 play and 9 coins returned. A little leaf switch detects if the tube is full enough to give change and lights the front panel accordingly. It's a keeper for me, along with my Gunther Wulff Rialto (Bingolett). Nice thing about them is they have a small base footprint meaning you can tuck them up against walls and smaller spaces.

See it in the video section viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1779
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Like your machine very much; the change giver is interesting. What is the date on the reg plate? From an historical point of view these machines mark the start of the really interactive machines. All the ones I've seen have some sort of restart or early stop feature, often both on the same machine, giving the player at least the feeling that he is in control of the machine. This feature would of course led to the nudge features so popular in the 80s and 90s.
coppinpr

Rotamints

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I've just finished restoring my 1959 German Rotamint Super and I'm so pleased with it I thought I'd show it off and mention a few points that might help others doing a similar machine for the first time.

rmmain.jpg

I've really taken to these machines; this one just screams 1950s with its coloured plastic numbers and plain case.

rmface.jpg
rmface.jpg (52.03 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

The sides of this one were never plain wood but painted in a hammer finish, so that was easy to repaint in the original colour and style.

rmnplate.jpg

The front was quite badly marked and removing all the varnish did not help. Attempts to re-varnish it looked very poor, so I took a chance on something that has worked for me before when the case is in a poor state. I used Ronseal 'Paint & Grain' to recreate the original finish and I think it's worked very well. The Rotamint name plate was a poor metal casting but easy to clean and re-paint. The word 'Super' must have been added to later machines and is made of plastic so great care is needed to remove it without it breaking. However, the plastic had not faded at all and cleaned up as new, as did the coin slot which was almost black but cleaned up to its original brass finish without a mark on it. The coin dish I repainted in its original gold finish using some very old (over 40 years old) high quality gold paint and it looks perfect.

The 'Start' and 'Stop' windows had been painted, in German, separately from the main glass and the paint disintegrated, so I made new signs to cover the empty glass holes and they too look and work great... There are two locks, both German originals, and they work with a single key which is marked 'Rotamint' so must also be original.

Inside the machine is an amazing coin box, would hold at least a gallon and with its own tiny lock and key holding it to the case. I've not seen this before but I'm not all that experienced. Are they the norm?

rrmcoinbox.jpg
rrmcoinbox.jpg (50.38 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

All the bulbs were working but if need to I will replace with LED festoon bulbs available at a reasonable price on Ebay. The works and electrics just needed a good clean and lube using WD40 to clean and silicon spray to lube.

rminside.jpg

So there it is, cost me £100 and I had all I needed to fix it up (do need a 'Pennies only' sign if anyone knows where I can get one). I'm going to keep this one I think; reminds me of my wasted youth!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

The license on the left hand side of machine states Jun 1966 to run to 1969. So, it has to be at least 1966 I guess. I agree that the interactivity is the appeal; rather than pull the handle you can, as you say, control your fate, to a degree. I would describe my machine as a mini version of roulette where you can bet on one number alone. I've tried looking for patterns in the numbers, by not intervening and pushing the stop button eg. when the number 1 lands, what comes next? Despite recording rather nerdishly 100 spins there are no patterns forming which leads me to think that the motor or associated gearing has some form of randomizer to it. I remember with the Brenco Wheel of Fortune at my local arcade, 6P always followed LOSE. So, I'm pleased there isn't a pattern. You can do quite well with it, e.g. hitting a winning number four times in a row. However, I played through 30 spins yesterday and didn't hit one win. The actual chances of winning each go is 5 to 1. One thinks one is getting a good deal until you work out the sums of the winning reels. There is only one 5 coin payout on each of the two payout discs, with 10 numbers on each, the odds are 100 to 1 to get 10 coin payout. Similarly only one 3, a few 2s and the rest1s.

Working out the payout combination odds I found this. Making the assumption you can win every go, the theoretical payout odds are 241 coins per 100 spins. As the odds of hitting the winning number is 1 in five, then the real payout odds becomes 48.2%. So a great profitable machine for the operator in the machine's day.

Overall, these German machines are great. The printed glass images are delicate so one should be really careful on how you handle the machine in transit, paying attention to loose coins you might not be aware of in the machine that can move about and knock the printed surface. Have you gone on to the A to Z of German machines website? There is a link on pennymachines somewhere.
Malc
malcymal

Re: 1959 Rotamint Super, restored and I'm showing it off!!!

Post by malcymal »

It looks fantastic. Well done mate. There are bargains to be had out there. I'm considering selling off a couple of Segas to make some more room for German slots.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi coppinpr, :D you have made a good job on your machine. I must give that 'Paint & Grain' a try. If you want a 'pennies only' sign, Jerry has some for sale in the market, follow the link, !!JUNK!!

https://pennymachines.co.uk/cgi-bin/Mar ... 1300231206
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I think this is the link malkymal is talking about ;-) you will see they did a few types of this Rotamint machine !PUZZLED! now you will have to collect one of each type :dammit:

https://www.automatix-club.de/
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Ah yes, thanks Mr Slotalot for finding it. This is the one. It's fantastic isn't it? Shame I can't speak German. I can only say "Achtung Libfraumilch". The A to Z of machine names is on the link https://www.automatix-club.de/index.php ... &Itemid=37

The other machine I have, the Rialto, is listed on that site here: https://www.automatix-club.de/index.php ... &Itemid=37 Can do some youtubes of it if anybody is interested in its workings.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Have you tried running it on 20p? I see it has a straightforward overflow chute so 20ps shouldn't be a problem. My Hobby takes 1p or 20p, The Rialto will take 1np or 20p, but has issues with the thickness of the 1p on its tube sensing wire. When coin stack is full, the wire goes into the fixed position trapping intentionally the next coin coming in on to its side; the next coin then hits this coin on its side and drops it into the cashbox. It makes an excellent money box.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

That Paint and Grain looks good! I like German machines too, I have a Novomat and a Bingolet. I'd quite like to have a Rotamint but one hasn't crossed my path.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Rotamints

Post by badpenny »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Just found this on Gumtree ....mmm nice!
He describes it accordingly: -
I HAVE FOR SALE A 1955 ROTAMINT RECORD A 1D WALL MOUNTED SLOT MACHINE. IT WILL NEED SLIGHT RESTORATION WORK BUT IS ON THE WHOLE IN GOOD CONDITION.IT HAS NOT BEEN TESTED AND I WOULD ADVISE THE BUYER TO GET THE MACHINE CHECKED OUT BEFORE GENERAL USE, JUST TO BE SURE. THE MACHINE ITSELF HAS BEEN COVERED UP IN THE GARAGE FOR A FEW YEARS BUT IN TIP TOP CONDITION THESE MACHINES WILL FETCH OVER $500 EUROS OVER THE INTERNET.

144047721.jpg
144047721.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

I'm not surprised it's not been tested. What is there to test?
tazmantic

Rotamints

Post by tazmantic »

Attachments
$T2eC16J,!y8E9s2fif5nBQ20)0ckR!~~60_58.jpg
treefrog

Re: Rotamint Duett spotted on Ebay

Post by treefrog »

If it was next door to me would have a go. Already have one not working of course.... lots of electrickery to deal with.
raj

Post by raj »

These German machines are a pig to fix, this example is very unlikely to work, so buy at great risk, the market is tiny for these machines.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

The top flashing is damaged, it looks tatty and not even a nice one on the eye. Some Rotomints look fantastic, you only have to look on YouTube to see a vast selection of electronical eye candy. This one however is drab.
kev

Rotamints!

Post by kev »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi, I am a little bit of a novice on here! I restored a King of Diamonds pinball machine over the last couple of years and having grown up around funfairs and amusement arcades I have got the bug! I recently bought a Rotamint Rex and a Rotamint Luxus machine both of which need some serious work. Does anyone know where I could get schematics for them and parts?
coppinpr

Re: Rotamints!

Post by coppinpr »

Hi, and welcome to the best slot forum in the world, bar none !SMARTY!

Check the Archives - there may be something there or go to the top German site which I'm sure can help https://www.automatix-club.de/ if you speak German.
Some parts can be bought as modern replacements and spares machines do come up. Place an ad. in the Market place on this site.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

If you access the automatix site through Google Chrome it will offer to translate it for you. The translation can sometimes be rough and ready but it may help. I don't have schematic but I'll photograph the inside of my Luxus for you as best I can and post it later. It's set for 6d.
kev

Post by kev »

That's great thank you, I will have a look at the German site and use Chrome to see if I can have it translated. any photos would be great!