Bryans Locks

General vintage slot machine related topics.
cheeky

Bryans Locks

Post by cheeky »

I am trying to complete my Bryans Bullion project and need an original small lock for the cashbox draw.

I have been told that they were made by Lowe & Fletcher. Can anyone confirm? If someone has a photo that they can post on this website, then I will copy and paste and add it to the 'wanted section' unless anyone can dig me out beforehand.

Best wishes C!
Last edited by cheeky on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryansjim

Re: Bryans Locks

Post by bryansjim »

Lowe & Fletcher locker locks are availiable in two lengths 6 & 16mm neither are the correct length for Bryans Machines but both can be used. On the 6mm barrel the key almost fouls the door. On the 16mm barrel the lock is proud of the door. As far as I am aware they are still availiable from a good locksmith though it's a couple of years since I last bought some.
If brass Lowe & Fletcher locks were previously used you will have to open up the hole in the door.
Regards Jim
:boing:
bryansjim

Lock pictures

Post by bryansjim »

I was curious to see if I had any locks left. Here's what I found. The lock on the right I have no key for is the right length of 1/2", no longer availiable. The lock on the right is the 6mm barrel. I don't have any of the longer 16mm locks left, hence no picture.
Regards Jim
Attachments
camera contents 9 06 06 022.jpg
camera contents 9 06 06 022.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 9971 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

I can see it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by badpenny »

heres what I found the lock on the right I have no key for .......... Panic ye not Bryansjim!!!! I've found your missing key ..... it's just behind the lock.
Badpenny :P
bryansjim

Post by bryansjim »

Did I mention I'd been on the beer when I posted my last. :oops:
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Hi, thanks for the info. A little confused - a bit like an English football player who has just had their striker taken-off in the second half for no apparent reason!

I have just been shown a lock attached to a cashbox door which is definitely a Lowe & Fletcher one (1/2" as you say) but brass coloured and also tapered off at the edges. The owner has other's which are the same. Were there different L&F lock's fitted or did their design change?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Just to confuse you. I believe all early Bryans machines were fitted with Yale locks. Including the fifties allwins, and my Bullion cash drawer lock which is definately original.
Mabye later machines were fitted with Lowe and Fletcher brass coloured locks?
The Lowe and Fletcher locks pictured are much later locks which fit Bryans machines and I have used them myself as a temporary measure until I obtain an original, which are now very hard to come by.
Clear as mud?
Pictured is my original Elevenses lock, exactly the same as my Bullion cash drawer.
Attachments
yale lock.jpg
yale lock.jpg (6.27 KiB) Viewed 9882 times
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Hmmm. The plot thickens. I have done a patent check on 3 early Bryans machine locks - sad I know but they were all Lowe & Fletcher ones. I haven't yet seen a Yale one fitted. On Ebay there is an early Elevenses which also has the L&F lock fitted and has the tapered edges.

Do you have anymore or are there anymore Bryans machines with these 'small' Yale locks fitted?
woody

Yale Lock

Post by woody »

My bullion is numbered - I think it is 212 and has a yale lock the same as the one already posted. Hope this helps...

Woody
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Just to say, I forgot to mention, all my Bryans machines have Yale locks, either like the photo I posted, or the square Yale locks used on later macines.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

I have just examined a Bullion numbered 202 and an early allwin. Both have the same type of lock shown on the left of Bryansjim's photo (shown above)

Are there any early Bryans 40's machine's out there? Did they use the small Yale type locks?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Looking at an early version side-opening Payramid, I see a small brass lock of the type shown previously, but without a maker's name. Clearly this design was common and manufactured by Yale, Lowe & Fletcher and several other companies and Bryans would have bought in whatever was best priced at the time.

The square flanged design now supplied by Lowe & Fletcher is the modern equivalent. They're available in three barrel lengths and can usually be fitted using the original screw holes. The downside is they're zinc plated, not brass and the wider flanges obstruct on some machines.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Do you mean the 'type shown previously' as in the Yale or the L&F?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yale. The company was founded in Stamford, Connecticut, USA. See A Gazetteer of Lock and Key Makers for details and their 1865 pin tumbler lock patent.

See Lowe & Fletcher 7 lever rim locks for the modern versions (actually available in 4 barrel lengths I think).
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Thank you Bryansjim, Bryans Fan and Pennymachines.

All your info has been really helpful and interesting. I now need to find someone with a spare lock!

Best wishes to all C!
bryansjim

Ebay

Post by bryansjim »

Incidently there is a Lowe & fletcher lock on ebay at the moment. Ebay no. 7630094837 its the short barrel type, worth a look.
Regards Jim. :eek:
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Almost right but not quite. I need that 1/2 inch extension, if you know what I mean?
ged8

Bryans allwin locks

Post by ged8 »

Topic merged- Site Admin.

I need your help forum. I have a Bryan’s Elevenses with a missing key on the cash draw, so I need to replace the lock. The lock has Yale etched on it, but is this the correct lock ? The lock on the main door uses a flat type key which does look original. So the question is do I get another Yale lock or a flat type key lock?
Thanks.
arrgee

Re: Which lock?

Post by arrgee »

Welcome ged8 to the Forum. Most Bryans machines I have seen used the Yale cam lock on the doors with the smaller 'flat key' locks on the cash door drawers (although there are variants to this). I would always try to keep it that way when replacing locks, unless the hole for the original flat key type lock has been bored out to receive a larger diameter lock.
Attachments
Bryans 10 cup.jpg
ged8

Re: Which lock?

Post by ged8 »

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the advice. What I have is like your photo, but in the reverse, Yale for the cash box and the flat key lock ( Union) for the door. It just looks wrong the Yale, but if that’s how it should be, so be it.