Essex Corn Exchange, Stock Broker & variants

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jimmycowman

Essex Corn Exchange, Stock Broker & variants

Post by jimmycowman »

This Corn Exchange seemed cheap on ebay selling at £270.
Would it have cost £200 to put it right? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
$(KGrHqZ,!i4E5deW1))yBO,OOW)3Eg~~60_12.JPG
download.jpg
bandito

Re: Corn Exchange

Post by bandito »

Hi there, I won this machine. The only things wrong with it mechanically are the regulator (piston) which controls the spinning disc. It's full of oil. Have not had a good look at it yet, so not sure if there should be an air seal on there or something like that. It plunges too quick, not giving the disc time to spin properly. Also the spinning disc is out of alignment, again an easy fix. Never had a machine like this before, only bandits.I am sure the glass is a later replacement. Would like to see an original machine. If anyone has an original machine, please post a picture or two, Cheers.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Looks like a very nice buy to me. I really like the quality of these machines. I've had the Corn Exchange and the Stock Exchange. There should defintately be a piece of leather in the pump so it will work correctly, though from memory when I restored mine it was missing as it was in Coin-Op's example?? Your glass looks perfectly fine, what makes you think it's a replacement? I had to do much retouching to my glass as the original paper wheel art had lifted and rubbed the paint away in many spots. But a pity that yours has had the top case trim wood streamlined, much more elegant with the moldings intact.
Attachments
corn exchange before.jpg
corn exchange done.jpg
corn exchange  mech.jpg
corn exchange glass 2.jpg
corn exchange leather 2.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Nice looking machine. I fell asleep on this one :dammit: . I wonder if the case is original with this finish, as the rounded effect the top has is duplicated in the rounded glass retainers, rather than the fluted ones as shown in the second pictures.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Tree-Frog, I'd be really surprised if it was made that way since every one I've ever seen looked like mine. These are late 1920s which was well before that streamlined look took off. And it just doesn't look right having the streamlined top and molded base. I'll bet it was an operator revamp in the 40s or 50s.

One other thing I just realised is that the cabinet has definitely been refinished. The original was dark stained, as can been seen on the inside door of the eBay machine.
Last edited by gameswat on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I don’t know whether it is 100% original or not !PUZZLED! , but one thing I do know is, it’s a lot better than the one I haven’t got !!THUMBSX2!! .... well done that man.
bandito

Post by bandito »

Thanks for the pictures and information! The glass on my machine is slightly different to the pictures posted. It has a hand painted look to it and is missing the 'patent applied for' bit in the middle. As for the case, I guess it has been tidied up in the past and needs a lot of tlc to make it look like an original. I will need to have a good think about what I will do with it. The base needs repairing which should be easy to do. As for the top, would probably need a new piece of oak to match the bottom. First thing to do is to get it working tidy and then have a long think about the cabinet. I'm in no rush.....
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yes, just as I thought: a bargain. Well done! !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I was close to having a stab at this Little Stock Exchange, but had not seen the insides and just could not risk it...anyone here go for this, I wonder if the front is original or what was under the plate at the front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200836309524? ... 1423.l2648
Attachments
stock.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That is similar to this example in the Museum. I've seen one other example. I think they're pretty much identical internally to the Corn/Fruit Exchanges and maybe also made by Essex. The game appears in many guises.
john t peterson

Little Stock Exchange identified

Post by john t peterson »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Anyone care to guess?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en

I have my own ideas but I'm more interested in yours.

J Peterson
Mystery Master
Attachments
$T2eC16RHJGQE9noM,BV-BRQ0vyEmL!~~60_32.JPG
JC

Re: Mystery Machine Number 2

Post by JC »

No mystery here john, it's an Essex Corn Exchange.

It's rather annoying that all wall machines get labeled 'allwin' these days.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

More specifically, it's the Little Stock Exchange, although it lacks the name on the front casting that you can see on the example in the Museum.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Gosh darn...what are the chances the two top experts would weigh in so quickly? I've never seen this style on the Essex games but I recognized the payout cup and the mechanism.
I'll keep hunting for a better challenge.

J Peterson
American Small Game Hunter

PS I see the auction has ended as the machine is "no longer available for sale." Fess up. Which one of you shrewd hunters snagged this little prize? \|\/|/
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Little Stock Exchange identified

Post by pennymachines »

Not I. I wasn't bidding, but it annoys me anyway.
treefrog

Re: Little Stock Exchange identified

Post by treefrog »

The seller also had the Cast Iron/Aluminum Little Stockbroker that did finish for less than £120 :shock:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Enough of all these modern posts and queries, about time for some Ye Olde Tyme machinery again. Recently started work on this 1928 Essex "Stock Exchange" which is a sister to the "Corn Exchange" and uses the same mech - well, so I thought. Took me a little while to figure out what was going on and why this machine didn't quite make sense to what I'm used to, as it has been years since I've restored the last example.

There are totally different coin payout castings, plus added machinery for an added feature I've never seen before. Which is in fact a mystery free play coin return. And very cleverly it uses the same slots cut into the main payout wheel to accomplish this.

After starting play and turning the handle there is a brass lever that either hits the inside of the main wheel and stops its travel, or when it matches with one of the payout slots it can move further. Through some links this in turn allows a flap to move into place which deflects the Penny into a special chute in the coin payout casting, to return to the payout cup! This never occurs on a pre-winning play, (this is a future pay machine, so you know at the start of each play if and what the machine will pay out).

Appears to be factory made, as it's so well integrated into the machine and made of lots of high quality castings. Can't imagine an operator going to this amount of trouble just for a free play feature.
Attachments
This shows a standard Stock Exchange or Corn Exchange mech.
This shows a standard Stock Exchange or Corn Exchange mech.
This Stock Exchange showing differences to the above machine in payout casting to lower left and other linkages etc for free play.
This Stock Exchange showing differences to the above machine in payout casting to lower left and other linkages etc for free play.
This shows the brass lever inside the payout wheel, (top rhd of pic) before play starts, but lined up with a payout hole.
This shows the brass lever inside the payout wheel, (top rhd of pic) before play starts, but lined up with a payout hole.
This shows the same brass lever moved into the payout hole to allow free play.
This shows the same brass lever moved into the payout hole to allow free play.
This shows the payout casting and mech before start of play.
This shows the payout casting and mech before start of play.
This shows the free play flap engaged and just about to deflect the Penny back to the cup.
This shows the free play flap engaged and just about to deflect the Penny back to the cup.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't think I've seen that before either. Quite a bit of extra mech just to add free play. Does it advertise this feature on the front?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

No PM, it would have saved me a little time if it had though! haha. And funnily enough the lovely hand drawn card that came with the machine had no cutout window to show the winning amount as it should? They'd also cut back on the winning payouts by deleting the 9D win. I'm making the correct card wordage and layout according to the advert I posted a few weeks ago, but using an original Corn Exchange card as the basis as its almost the same, just a different physical layout.

Amazing what you can do these days with computer graphics programs. Glad I didn't end up becoming a graphic designer specializing in airbrushing as I'd planned to as a kid!
jimmycowman

Two cup Corn Exchange

Post by jimmycowman »

Topic split, moved & merged - Site Admin.

Why has this 2 pay cups?
Attachments
_20170627_215014.JPG