The changing face of my latest Hi-top

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

The changing face of my latest Hi-top

Post by coppinpr »

I bought a reasonable price 7-7-7 model hi top three weeks ago , everything in place inc jackpot and all working and paying out correct (in fact got it home ,put in 2 sixpences and up came the jackpot!!) All it needed was a good clean and re-paint. I casualy asked my wife what color do do think? and as usual she threw me a curve and said 'yellow'.

undaunted I decided to make it as much like a 1950 'Wild Deuce' model as I could... and here it is...as near as I can get it

hi-top yellow.jpg

here it is before the re-paint

hi top start.jpg

speedwell

Re: The changing face of my latest Hi-top

Post by speedwell »

Looks a great job.....would you be prepared to share your way of doing it ? I know many members here are very experienced but many are not ( like myself ) and any tips on this forum would be welcome....and what is the smaller machine just in view next to it ....looks tasty ( is it a Pace or similar ? )
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Looks like a Groetchen to me (Spellcheck insists I mean Groundsheet - who am I to argue?)
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I too would appreciate instructions on coppinpr's paint job.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

First, the machine next to it in the photo IS a Groetchen 'Club' Deluxe and you can see it in action at this pennymachines link: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2621

As to the painting, I don't do anything special at all really. Usually I remove all the old paint with Nitromores paint remover, although this Hi-Top's old finish was so good I just sanded down the few chips until they blended in. Then I spray with a can of metal primer (white). I find the Plasticote one is very good, then I spray with Hammerite smooth paint. In the case of the Hi-Top, I used Humbrol spray because I wanted that particular yellow. The real key is loads of very thin coats about 20mins apart. The first few are very unrewarding because they don't cover the primer and you feel you want to spray a thicker coat. Don't.

The masking tape you use is more important than you might think. Cheap ones do not stick well and do not release cleanly. The best is the green tape you can see in the photo. It's called frog tape and you can get it in Homebase. For sure, it's expensive but pulls away clean and sticks firm.

Sometimes I strip the machine right down to the basic parts for painting (see my post 'Bonanza Star re-born') but it isn't always needed if you mask correctly. The Hi-Top in the photo has all the metal work and glass removed but is still attached to the case and the jackpot unit is still fitted. Only other tricks I can think of are, use a spray can grip (available from Hobbycraft) and don't drink more than two pints before painting the coach lines. :didact:
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

Thanks coppnipr, really helpful tips and I enjoyed your video clip too.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Thanks cop
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

hi-top yellow.jpg

I submitted the above photo to the 'Rust-oleum' paint company 'show us your stuff' competition and won a prize for the Nov competition !!!
£70 worth of the paints of my choice , that will do a couple more machines!!!