Are we all too busy to contribute?

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
andydotp

Are we all too busy to contribute?

Post by andydotp »

Hi all,
Just wondering why so few members contribute to the threads !PUZZLED!
There's a wealth of knowledge, experience and collective tales - good & bad - to share between ourselves so it's got me bug**red (no emoticon thanks Badpenny) as to why things are so quiet.
:byee: Andy.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Are we all too busy to contribute?

Post by badpenny »

Ah ... well .... if you had the answer to that one you'd probably also know why The Bullion is attached to number 5 (just plugging my own thread that had 49 views before JC put finger to keyboard)

Still there is another Slotty Site in America that boasts hundreds'nesses more members than ours and seems to get a similar response rate. !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If you're thinking of the coinopcollector forum in the USA, it may have more members but it gets far far less contributions than we do, usually 1 or 2 replies per week. It's rubbish compared to pennymachines. (Well that's one more contribution in the bag, want me to write another?)
funky

Post by funky »

I love this site, !THUMBS! ...really enjoy reading all the antics and finds and informative information..... personally I'm not that great and knowledgable about fixing things but I do buy old coin op machines as I think they're ace... but, as I say, I'm not that knowledgable on repairing and fixing things, so I tend not to say ought not to make a fool of myself !!ESCAPE!! ....... Anybody want to help me fix up my growing collection or give me tips and ideas to fix things!! :smash:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well stepped forward that man !THUMBS!

I rather suspect by now that most people will have noticed that the hard core of contributors mainly waffle in their threads and sometimes the link to slots can be quite tenuous. I am often amazed to get a pm from someone I don't know thanking me for some daft throw away comment I've made as it was interesting to them.

You can never tell.

So funky tell us for starters what machines you own, any issues you have with them, what's your dream machine? What do you remember playing when you were young? Where do you search for machines? What would you like help with regarding restoration. How did you feel when you got your first one? What reaction do you get from others when they find out how afflicted you are?
So much to talk about.

!!CHEERS!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Yes, way too busy to contribute.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am sure a lot of people have always been watchers and have better things to do and contribute when something relevant comes up they feel they can add value to or when they need help. I guess it does not matter as long as there is contribution. I have been on here almost 4 years, when I started collecting, where some on here have been collecting for decades, I guess they are the ones we want to tap into for knowledge.

I have to also bring up the slight bias many members may have towards one collectable area than another. Of late, most posts are bandit oriented, whereas many of the older hardcore collectors on here are probably more wall and other amusement fans. I happen to now collect both, as I had filled the floor space and realised there were many walls to fill......
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

All fair & reasonable comments,,,,, well, it got us talking didn't it!

I'll second Badpenny - tell us your issues Funky, don't be coy - we all started somewhere and there's no such thing as a stupid question with these infernal mechanical things..
Yep T-F you are quite correct, recent bias towards bandits (I probably take a portion of the blame for that) but am interested in selling or trading my 3-reelers for Allwins & other wall machines so maybe a few other members will jump in?
We'll see.
funky

Post by funky »

I started collecting a few video games as I remembered playing them as a kid... I knew a lad in Blackpool that had a few of the table top games that he used to site in hotels.... I bought a Moon Cresta and a Space Invaders off him... then another two turned up and I got the bug! Then it jumped up and bit my backside as I picked up an original Mills Roman Head off an old lad that had an arcade in Blackpool (it belonged to his dad)... and the lad I bought it off was in his 70s. (Also a funny story about a puppet machine I bought from him as well). And that was me - the beauty of old one arm bandits and allwins took over... Don't bother with my video games now... :lol: The bug surely bites as you start looking at other things but unfortunately they are very expensive when nice items turn up, :shock: and in this climate with my job etc. I'm getting priced out of the market now.. :dammit: ..... Anyhow, as far as fixing them up, as I say, I'm a novice and useless at that sort of thing, but maybe if I turn my hand to fixing things up and work out how to post pics etc., I'm sure the kind folks on here will be willing to help me out..... !THUMBS! ... I do like the beauty of the 1930s one arm bandits..... and love the older working models but doubt I'll ever own one of them beauties... Anyway I'll stop rambling. Hope I've contributed a little bit of nonsense in my world of collecting machines. @&@
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Cheers Funky ....

I think it's common to start by buying machines remembered from childhood, but I don't think we hear very often from those making the transition backwards into previous generations.
Unless of course those that haven't yet contributed are exactly doing that and are the quiet majority! !PUZZLED!

It sounds as if you have machines you are very proud of. Of course we all love photos and it's amazing how the threads start to bulge with background info once a picture arrives. Also it is fair to say that if you are not experienced at plonking pictures on a forum then it can be daunting the first time.
There are numerous so called idiot guides that I and my fellow moderators post however it can add to the daunting'ness trying to find them and follow them. So I'm going to try a different tack.
Please excuse if I am being too basic here, but everyone is at a different knowledge level.

I suggest the following: -
Store the photos you want to post on a website like http://www.photobucket.com Firstly go to the site and open an account, it's free. Then up load the photos to your account there. It's only a question of following the instructions.
Once the photos are on their website, start your reply to Pennymachines when you get to the part in your writing where you want the photo to go, then open another internet tab or window go to http://www.photobucket.com find the photo. As you hover the cursor over the photo you'll see options pop up go to "IMG Code" (it's the bottom option) and click, you'll see the option change to copied. When you go back to your reply here, place the cursor where you want the photo to go, click to get the cursor there, then right click and chose paste You'll see a line of code appear. That is the link to your photo.
That is exactly what I have done here:-
CIMG4801.jpg

No idea who the devilishly handsome hunk is nor where he is, seems to have a budgie in his breast pocket though.

Give it a try and let's see your treasures, along with what you want advice about, nobody will be judgemental about you or your machines. As you must have seen like meets like on this forum. You've fairly stepped up with a nice attitude and will be treated accordingly.

Cheers.
PS Now what's this about a Puppet Machine ...... were there strings attached? :lol:
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

Hi All
I still pop in every now and then, but forgot password a while ago and I hit forgot password link and got new password (loads of numbers etc.) and can never find change passwork in user panel.
So I end up requesting a new one again and lose the will to live. Still enjoy the posts though. Will be here until I log off '!'
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi and welcome back stranger ..........

To change your password
Go to User Control Panel top of the page
Then got to Profile on left border
Then Edit Account Settings
Then place £20 in old notes in a brown paper bag
Then hide it in the hollow tree at the end of your street (we know where you live)
Then if everybody's done wot they should it'll all be sweet ....... OK Treacle?
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

To change your password
Go to User Control Panel top of the page
Then got to Profile on left border
Then Edit Account Settings

It then takes you to another login screen and won't accept user + pass

And a big hi to you sir !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

............ I said old notes
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Kind words & soundly advice Badpenny.

Welcome Funky, afraid I'm going to have to share The Sage's' advice & try and load up some pics too.

PS: Who was that guy in the photo??
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

I'm sorry I haven't contributed much lately - I think the last one was my advent calendar !SAINT!

I haven't had a new machine now in two years - other interests competing for my time have rather shouldered that hobby aside. But I still lurk here and speak up on those few occasions when I have something to say.
andy-m

Post by andy-m »

badpenny wrote:............ I said old notes
Lost me mate !!ESCAPE!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

andydotp wrote:Just wondering why so few members contribute to the threads !PUZZLED!
As for the lull in posts from the regulars, I think it was down to the unseasonably gorgeous weather we had for over a week. It's been snowing in the Midlands today, so everything's back to normal - except the Australian contingent of my family have moved in for three weeks...
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Cheers,
Say a big G'day from Melb. 26 degrees again today......and can they bring me a Payramid back please?
(if only!!).
anglobritish

Post by anglobritish »

Hi,
Although I am new to these blogs, I feel as a Brit living in America, I do have quite a lot of insight into the collecting of Coin Operated machines. I have lived this business for more than 62 years, having bought my first machine at 8 years old from the late Ralph Horwitz of Chicago Automatic Supply Company when they were at the Elephant and Castle address.
Ralph's son Derek is still in the business as is his son Mark; they are one of the biggest suppliers of the modern day machines.

Before I left England in 1989 I created the British Coin Machine Awards Dinner, that was a huge success. This awards dinner was held in conjunction with "Coin Slot" the trade paper of the day.
At that dinner I presented a special award in memory of Ralph Horwitz to his son Derek. It may not be commonly known by many of you coin machine collectors but without people like that great old pioneer Ralph Horwitz many of the established companies of the 1980s and especially the travelling showmen (of which I was one) would never have settled on the British coast line and opened arcades that are the core of the present day coin machine industry.

Regarding the lack of contributors being too busy to contribute, I for one think this site is the finest and most professional of it's kind in the World, yes the World !!

I for one promise to try to contribute more in the future. I have one of the largest databases on coin operated machines in the World: 143,000 files. I have every copy of the British "Coin Slot" trade paper from 1966-1999. I also have all of the Nic Costa notes that he used for his great book "Automatic Pleasures" that he wrote in 1988.

Good luck to you all, and keep up the great hobby of "Coin Machine Collecting".