Testo Reaction Meter

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
margamatix

Testo Reaction Meter

Post by margamatix »

Anyone got any experience of Testo Reaction Meters?
testo1.jpg

When were they manufactured, and by whom? Do they have a power source such as a battery? Anyone care to suggest a value?

Any other comments appreciated, as usual!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I bought a dozen of them many years ago and kept one because they're rather good. You insert your coin which is held by a gate at the top and press the spring-loaded green button which is then held in place by a rubber sucker. At this point a battery contact is made to illuminate a bulb, the previous coin played drops to the cash box and your coin drops below the gate to rest on a pin connected to the button mechanism. You then wait until the sucker loses its grip, puts out the lamp, rings a bell.and releases the coin. The coin falls vertically and you have to press the red button as fast as you can. The coin is stopped dead as one side of the channel closes against it. Your reaction time is measured by how far the coin drops against a scale indicating your stopping distance when travelling at 30 mph, with comments about your fitness to drive. If you are fast enough you get your coin back.

I've seen three different glasses on them. The one in your picture is the best I think. One has no graphics, just a scale (probably the earliest) and the other looks a bit more modern. They must have been made during the 1960s and would have been sighted in pubs and clubs. "Approved by the Society For The Prevention Of Accidents", the idea of course was to see if you were fit to take the wheel after a few bevies at a time when the carnage resulting from drink-driving was beginning to be taken seriously.

They're quite cheaply and simply constructed little ply box affairs, but nevertheless ingenious and effective. They don't require a battery to work - that justs adds the visual cue. I'll let someone else hazard a guess as to value.
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

Brilliant, won it at £62!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You can't complain at that!
It was what I'm calling the early version, wasn't it?
Maybe you could send us a nice picture of it when you pick it up.
Make sure that glass doesn't get broken.
I wonder if there's any manufacturer's mark on it.
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

Here's the item number 300039976339 and I will have a good look around it when I get it to see if there is a manufacturer's plate.

Seller says it is currently working on 2p pieces but I presume it was pre-decimal. I may convert it back, I don't know yet.

Thanks for the info.
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

I have been searching Google for more information about Testo Reaction Machines (TRM's), but it seems there is so little information out there that this thread on the PennyMachines forum, which I only started a few days ago is already at "No 3" on Google.

No's 1 and 2 simply being completed eBay listings for TRMs previously auctioned. There is nothing else.

So I thought I would turn this thread into The Definitive Online Resource for Testo Reaction Machines.

Until something better comes along!

To this end, here is one of the alternative backglasses mentioned by PennyMachines.
testo2.jpg

Perhaps someone can post an image of the other backglass at some stage?

In any event, I will post more photos when I have collected my new acquisition.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

You've started something now - I've never seen so many Testos for sale before on eBay.
fingermouse79

TESTO PURCHASE

Post by fingermouse79 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hey guys, I just bought my first Testo. I am picking it up this week. I am chuffed to bits that I managed to find one. Had a good battle on eBay to get it. Bidding to the bitter end.

When I get it I'll be sure to contact you all again and supply pictures and further information.

Speaking of which, there is nothing of these on the internet at all?? Any ideas of history would be great.
margamatix

Re: TESTO PURCHASE

Post by margamatix »

fingermouse79 wrote:Had a good battle on eBay to get it. Bidding to the bitter end.

Online snipers are your friend... http://snip.pl/en/ does it for me.

Can't find anything on the internet myself- this thread seems to be No 1 now if you search Google for information on Testos.

And welcome in!
fingermouse79

TESTO reaction meter purchase!!!

Post by fingermouse79 »

Yesterday I bought a Testo reaction meter. I picked it up from Vic (a fantastic man with lots of knowledge of arcade machines).

I currently have it sitting in my computer room, though will be soon putting it up on display in the hallway.

I have some pictures to post here for your interest.
Attachments
tn_DSC00016.JPG
tn_DSC00016.JPG (7.42 KiB) Viewed 11586 times
tn_DSC00017.JPG
tn_DSC00017.JPG (6.92 KiB) Viewed 11586 times
tn_DSC00018.JPG
tn_DSC00018.JPG (8.03 KiB) Viewed 11586 times
tn_DSC00019.JPG
tn_DSC00019.JPG (9.16 KiB) Viewed 11586 times
fingermouse79

TESTO INFORMATION WANTED

Post by fingermouse79 »

Has anyone got any information about the TESTO?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think most of it's already covered in this thread - except the manufacturer and exact period of production. Maybe someone will know.

The coin is returned if you stop within 21 feet. Get a friend to have a go and shout NOW! while they're waiting for the bell. Their reaction time will be destroyed for several minutes. :mrgreen:

As someone commented - there seem to be lots for sale all of a sudden - two more in the Coventry sale. Possibly because the original owner placed them in dozens of pubs and they were all pulled out together when the concession ended. Good time to buy one.
Attachments
testo4.jpg
testo4.jpg (22.89 KiB) Viewed 8297 times
fingermouse79

found testo patent information!

Post by fingermouse79 »

How excited am I??? I have just spent several hours finding information about Testo reaction machines. Finally I found the patent using http://v3.espacenet.com

The following is summary of the patent describing the mechanism and I have also attached a picture too.
Abstract of GB786414
786,414. Measuring physiological reaction time. YLINEN, K. J. Aug. 23, 1956 [Aug. 26, 1955], No. 25763/56. Class 81 (2). [Also in Group XVIII] A physiological reaction time meter comprises a channel for a falling body, a support for the body at the upper end of the channel, manually operable means for withdrawing the support, means for delaying the withdrawal of the support after the manually-operable means has been actuated, means for giving a signal when the support is withdrawn and the body starts falling and a braking member extending along the channel for operation by the user on reception of the signal in order to stop the fall of the body, the distance fallen giving a measure of the reaction time of the user. A coin 5 is inserted at the top of the channel 4 and is supported by a pin 18 carried on one end of a spring 19 which is fixed at the other end to a frame. On pressing a push-button 29 the pin 18 is withdrawn, a second pin 22 carried by an arm 23 is inserted in the channel 4 to support the coin 5 and the push-button 29 is retained in depressed position by engagement of a suction cup 30 on the push button 29 with a plate 32. Air slowly enters the suction cup 30 through the clearance between a screw 34 and the plate 32 to destroy the suction seal so that the push-button 29 is returned to its initial position by a spring 25. The arm 23 then moves so that pin 22 is withdrawn from the channel 4 and a hammer 37 carried by the arm 23 strikes a bell 38 or operates a visible signal (not shown) to indicate the start of the fall of the coin 5. A lever 12 pivoted about a fixed point 10 and secured at one end to a movable bar 3 forming one wall of the channel 4 is held against a spring 14 by a pin 39 so that the movable bar 3 permits the coin 5 to fall. On receiving the signal the operator presses a push-button 41 which releases the lever 12 from the pin 39 so that the lever 12 is actuated by the spring 14 to move the bar 3 inwardly of the channel 4 and stop the fall of the coin 5. The movable bar 3 may alternatively be operated electromagnetically. A scale 44 calibrated in hundredths of a second is marked on a glass plate arranged over the channel 4. If the coin 5 is stopped in the channel 4 adjacent an electric contact plate 45, it closes a circuit which includes the movable bar 3 and operates prize delivering mechanism. If the coin 5 is stopped adjacent a tube 51, the coin is returned to the operator.
I hope this helps someone else.
Attachments
testo.png
testo.png (22.06 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

THE TESTO REACTION METER HAS ARRIVED!!!!!

Initial reaction is that it is more compact than I had thought - I was imagining it would be allwin-sized, but in fact it is smaller, measuring 22" high, 12" wide and 3" deep. These smaller sizes are a good thing, as certain other people around the house do not share my enthusiasm for "old junk" (familiar picture anyone?)

The maker's mark, on the playfield glass reads "ABA" Arthur Brown Associated Companies, Llandudno GB.

An internet search found this reference re Llandudno:
What about Arthur Brown: Deganwy swimming pool, talent contests/water shows, zoo; Also Browns T.V.& radio/record shop in Mostyn St.; also into food vending. All in the "fifties"! What a businessman of his time!
Which would sound like a possible suspect.....

It works superbly, doing exactly what it is supposed to do and makes a lovely little addition to my modest collection. It appears to have been Ronsealed in the past, and this does not look original - could anyone suggest what the proper finish should be?
fingermouse79

testo finish

Post by fingermouse79 »

My Testo looks to have been finished in a coat of clear varnish or lacquer.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well done to you both.
Yippee! We now have the maker's name and the patent.
I'll put the patent on the Patents page and if one of you can supply a nice picture, I'll put it in the Museum.
fingermouse79

picture of testo

Post by fingermouse79 »

Are already added on page 1!

So far has proved a great talking point for friends and family.

I am collecting many 2Ps.
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

A couple of quick queries now I have had a chance to look over the Testo...

Firstly, the machine came with one key, which opens the lock on the side of the cabinet. The cash box appears to require a different key, is that right? The main key will however turn the cashbox lock by one-quarter of a turn- I presume it should move by half a turn, and that the cashbox should then drop downwards. Is that correct, or is the cashbox door hinged?

Secondly, it is possible to push the red button in too far, in that it will come out of its sleeve at the end of its travel. It will be a simple matter to fabricate something which will prevent this happening, but what should be stopping the red button from travelling this far?

Agree that this is a lovely machine, and a real bargain at the price too. A lovely and inexpensive addition to my small collection.
fingermouse79

testo red button

Post by fingermouse79 »

In answer to your questions:-

There are two keys. one for the cash box and one for the internal panel.

Cash box first - mine is a small Lowe and Fletcher key. Once inserted into the key box, it completes a 270 degree turn. The cash box lock is like a door latch and opens; the panel then pulls out, not hinged, but when you open it you will see it has a flap which sits in the wooden recess.

When you take the back panel off, you will note that there is a block of wood which sits on the wall mounting. This sits behind the red button (stopping it going too far), otherwise, yes - you could push it past the point and stretch the spring.

The block is 1 1/2 inches square and is attached with wood glue.
margamatix

Post by margamatix »

Thanks - I have removed the interior shield and had a look at the back of the coinbox lock. I will pop to the locksmith tomorrow and see if he can sort me out a key.

I imagined that the button stop would be as you described, but on mine it is missing. I have now fabricated a wooden stop, and this is currently clamped in place while the glue dries.

I do not know what to do about the Ronseal finish. It truly is appalling, is obviously not original, and whoever did it, did not even bother to follow the grain of the wood, leading to circular muddy brown swirls all over the front of the machine. I will probably re-do it but will reflect on this first.

On the positive side, it does have the traditional "neglected whole fag" burns on the top, which adds a wonderful air of period authenticity!