Genco pinball machines

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
malcymal

Genco pinball machines

Post by malcymal »

Just came across this video on YouTube today which was lucky as I have come across somebody who has one of these machines for sale today.
It's table-top size and works on the old penny; fully working order. The only thing I could see missing was the rear wooden panel that goes on the back of the score panel, covers up wires but easily made. Anybody know as to what these things are worth paying for? They wanted £300?!?! Tempted to make purchase as it's rather charming. Thanks, malc

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Flying Scot 1930's Early Genco Electric Pinball

Post by badpenny »

I go on the principal that it's worth what I'm happy to pay. :lol:
jingle

Post by jingle »

malc if the guy who's selling it
lives around colchester ish way
i sold it him 1 month ago, which i thought was cheap
for 200 and it never worked[untested] but looked complete
and was in nice condition
if he has got it working and
and he travelled a bit to meet me
its got to be worth 300
get it bought lad
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Hi Jingle, dont think its same machine as this is down in porstmouth and its been with the seller for a good few months at least. I remember catching a glimpse of it back in december when i picked up a rialto. Thanks for your reply. Going to get back there next week and make a decision. Two machines im interested in, this one and something far more interesting a dual player german wall mount flick ball job where if you reach a high score you get a fortune card paid out. SOmething a bit more spectacular but of course not as old as the genco. Malc
jimmy55

Genco pinballs

Post by jimmy55 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi Folks, I am new to the forum, having just acquired two machines in as many weeks. The first is maybe a little late for this forum (1980 Bally Black Jack pinball) but the second is a 1939 Genco 'Airport' pinball. It's an ebay purchase and took me on a near 400 mile round trip to collect, but it's now safely in the workshop awaiting a good internal inspection. It has been dry stored for 18 years but looks in good original condition... just very grubby! What the wiring will reveal is another matter, but I will take pictures as I go along.

Would love to hear from anyone with similar machines. I am in North Norfolk and lucky to have The Robin Hood as my local pub which has a huge variety of coin machines from the landlord's collection on display. I have seen it mentioned in other threads on your forum.
All the best, Jim.
Attachments
Genco Airport
Genco Airport
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: New member, new pinball!

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Jim and a warm welcome to pennymachines.co.uk!

The artwork on Genco pinballs is splendid and, judging by your picture, in extraordinarily good condition on your machine. It will be a real beauty once it's tidied up. The airport theme has great historical interest.

Pinball graphics really took off (if you'll forgive the pun) once electricity was incorporated in the late 1930s with the arrival of bumpers and light-up back-glasses.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi Jim, likewise, good to have you on board.

I've got a 1964 Gottlieb in the front room, and somewhere there's a couple of 1930s electric ones like yours, only smaller. I've not looked at them since I got them a mere two and a half years ago.
I really should make more effort, if only to remember where they are.

Badpenny
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Looking forward to seeing this one done. I restore '50s/'60s EM pinballs, but I've never done anything this early, so will be interesting to see it restored.
Don't be shy with the photos!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's another very attractive Genco from the same year which I believe now belongs to one of our forum chums.
Attachments
Genco Flying Scot
Genco Flying Scot
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Many thanks for the words of welcome and encouragement guys.
I have uploaded some detailed pics to my website after a quick peek inside this afternoon http://www.endofthepier.co.uk/airport.html
I can see some areas that I will ask for advice on but I will post these in the correct heading as my mind clears!
Thanks again, Jim.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Nice website.

If that's your photo in the banner you may be too handsome for us though, we don't like competition.
jimmy55

how far to go?

Post by jimmy55 »

Topic merged - site admin.

A couple of questions after my first stage of restoring my 1939 Genco Airport. Where to draw the line regarding preserving the original or replacing?
1) The bottom ply board of the case must have been damp sometime and is a bit buckled and slightly de-laminating. It's not too bad but the underside which is painted is flaking and drops bits everywhere. Should I just fit a new ply bottom as it's largely out of sight and could be subtly painted, distressed etc.
2) Wiring under the playfield looks amazingly good but around the mains transformer and the large restistance with heatsinks the insulation looks pretty brittle. Should I just re-wire the Mains voltage section for safety sake?
I always prefer something with a bit of patina rather than something over restored but I am just not sure how to strike the balance between originality and function/safety. I'd be glad of your thoughts.

Cheers, Jim.
Attachments
main-case-inside-jpeg.jpg
mains-section.jpg
gameswat

Re: how far to go?

Post by gameswat »

Jim, I usually only replace the plywood if I really have to. It's held in place by the four sides of the cabinet, so to do it properly the cabinet joints need to be loose so the new piece can be fitted back, then re-glued and clamped shut. As the base is basically hidden from view, I don't bother unless it's structurally important, or just occasionally a very rare and important machine!

And I think you should always re-wire if you can, as safety is obviously very important, particularly when you get a machine that has sat dormant for many years.
Good luck.
jimmy55

Re: Genco Airport restoration

Post by jimmy55 »

Thanks for that Gameswat, good advice I think.
Next issue to pace is the playfield itself which is in remarkably good nick apart from being a little grubby. The paint is quite fragile and I think would flake if subjected to too much silver ball at the moment! Is there any fixative, varnish etc to seal it? I have an airbrush if needed.
thanks again, jim
special when lit

Re: Genco Airport pinball restoration

Re, electrics. You should definatly replace the power cord to the transformer, especially if it's the original.
Get a 3 core lead & connect the earth to the transformer chassis.
Also, I would advise replacing the selenium rectifier (the thing with the discs that looks like a flux capacitor).
Replace it with a 100v 25a bridge rectifier, the selenium fails over time & loses efficiency, although you must fuse the AC input.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Jim, I've had similiar issues with dried playfield paint before. The best method i found was to strip everything off the playfield, which I always do on a resto anyway, then carefully clean the surface as much as possible with various cleaners depending on how well they work in each situation. Finally I use an alcohol and super fine steel wool to remove wax and ingrained dirt etc, plus to slightly roughen the surface for paint. Then i spray a handful of coats of thinned acrylic laquer to seal and slightly cover the paint. If it's thinned enough it will absorb through the cracks and actually glue the paint in place. The original artwork is actually ink and will have hardened over time so no worries with the laquer affecting it in any way. Even after about a handful of thin coats once it's dry you shouldn't really be able to see any great visible difference. The good thing with laquer is it can always be removed later with just a rag soaked in thinners. This is what i use for touching up damaged or missing art too.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I appreciate that brands are different over here Gameswat but what lacquer are you using ...is it automotive or an art product?

@special when lit .....I may have to come back for more detail on the rectifier issue as thats on the boundries of my electrical knowledge! I am in the process of taking detailed photos and trying to prepare some sort of schematic to give me some guide as to what it all does. I'm intrigued by the little assembly thats mounted in the lower case.....looks like some sort of track for a ball with various switches??
Attachments
mystery.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Acrylic laquer is standard thinners based auto paint available anywhere.
special when lit

jimmy55 wrote:I'm intrigued by the little assembly that's mounted in the lower case.....looks like some sort of track for a ball with various switches??
That looks like the roll tilt. There should be a steel ball in the track, so that if the machine is lifted up to stop the ball draining on the playfield, the ball in the tilt assembly rolls forward, opens a switch and tilts the game.
I've got a diagram of the bridge rectifier mod somewhere. It's quite simple to do, just 4 wires & a fuse. I'll post it up later.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I was also thinking it might be a tilt switch, but why so many switches & wires? !PUZZLED! could it be a part of the 1000 when lit score mech?? :!?!: anyone know for sure? :tarah: