Scrap metal allwin and other projects

Building a slot machine from scratch? You're not alone in your madness.
jonathans257

Scrap metal allwin and other projects

Post by jonathans257 »

Well, it was something to do in the shed - wasn't meant to replicate an actual machine, just roughly knocked up and welded together - the challenge being to design a mechanism that actually worked from what I could remember seeing in the arcades at Broadstairs and such resorts, childhood memories. So if you fancy a laugh, all you serious builders, I hope this is of interest. I will post a video of it working soon.
Attachments
20121021_212021.jpg
20121021_211932.jpg
raj

Re: scrap metal allwin

Post by raj »

:cool: Welcome to the club my friend, you have done a great job there. If you search around the Resource section, there are scans of Allwin backflashes that might finish the job, or maybe just a polished metal sheet to keep with the theme. The main thing is that you have done the job with care and attention and that is really what matters in the end. !!CHEERS!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hearty greetings jonathans257

I've never worn a hat but as from tomorrow I'm buying one simply so I can take it off to you.
Also from next week I shall be getting up at 6.00 am in order to admire your enthusiasm longer.

We need more newcomers with your energy, please send me money and food.

Badpenny

PS .... We all wait with rancid breath and clenched elbows for the video and more photos. We want to see the beastie rattle clunking and we demand it before the next anniversary of Muck Spreading Tuesday........ don't let us down.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Brilliant .....'Shed Engineering' at its finest. Looking forward to seeing the video. Hope to inspire my two boys off the XBox and into the garage (some hope!)
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

What else are sheds for, if not for making slot machines in??? :!?!: Welcome to the forum & keep up the good work, !!THUMBSX2!! What is your next project going to be?? Because you can’t stop now. !!CHEERS!!
christopheb

Re: Scrap metal allwin

Post by christopheb »

Great job, jonathans257 !
Am curious : does it pay when you win ? If so, can you describe the payout mechanism ? You did not seem to go the classic 'payout tube & slide' route. Am very curious & interested to see what design you came up with.
Anyway, congrats.
Looking forward to seeing that video...
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Very very good jonathans257, I assume from the coin chute arrangement on the rear that there are two lose holes that retain the ball in the chute and two win holes that return the ball for a free go when won.
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

swaledaleslots wrote:Welcome to the club my friend, you have done a great job there. If you search around the Resource section, there are scans of Allwin backflashes that might finish the job, or maybe just a polished metal sheet to keep with the theme. The main thing is that you have done the job with care and attention and that is really what matters in the end. !!CHEERS!!
Thank you. I may grind it up with a never ending pattern to make it sparkle and laquer it, but I think I like it looking rough and home made. Next project will be a real machine, to display next to the junk machine.
Arrgee wrote:Very very good jonathans257, I assume from the coin chute arrangement on the rear that there are two lose holes that retain the ball in the chute and two win holes that return the ball for a free go when won.
The balls are held in the rear gutter, for want of a better description. A coin will lift a pin to release one ball to play. If it wins in any cup, it re enters the game for a free go. If it loses, it enters the pin gutter where a 10 pence is needed to release it. Really it's a gloryfied money box. Many thanks for your comment.
ChristopheB wrote:Great job, jonathans257 !
Am curious: does it pay when you win?
Sadly, there is no payout on a free ball, only a free go. A losing ball is directed behind the lift pin and retained 'till 10 pence is dropped and a winning cup directs the ball back to the playing field.
slotalot wrote:What else are sheds for, if not for making slot machines in??? :!?!: Welcome to the forum & keep up the good work, !!THUMBSX2!! What is your next project going to be?? Because you can’t stop now. !!CHEERS!!
Hi, and thanks for your comment. I have aquired most of the parts to build a real one with a prize payout. Just need to build a cabinet and work out what does what and what will require me making. As far as I can tell, when you drop a ball in a winning cup, it re enters the playfield - so I need to work out how a winning ball interacts with the mechanics to allow the prize knob to be turned. Total mystery at the moment. No doubt I will be asking anyone if they have internal pictures.

Jonathan.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

We could tell you how the payout works ....... however ...... I'm really interested in your innovative solutions and would like to know what you come up with.

Incidentally from what you say above I get the impression your machine holds more than one ball? What is the second one for?

Also it's your machine you can call parts anything you like! We only make it up ourselves anyway.

Badpenny
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

Ha ha! Absolutely no reason to have more than one ball - the gutter that holds the ball in storage is 2 inches long, so I put a few balls in.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I think that 'Conveyor' in the Arcade section would make a great project.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Too late, it's been done, and in reverse too (top to bottom instead of bottom to top).
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Now you've got me trawling the 'build a slot machine' section! Some fascinating stuff on there (especially love an old thread I found on Israeli Allwins :HaHa: ) It's got No1 son interested in coin mechs if nothing else :didact:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

jonathans257 wrote:...I will be asking anyone if they have internal pictures .
Always like to help our newer members: this is a very basic allwin design. It should give you a good idea of how they work. Any questions, just ask !!CHEERS!!
Attachments
basic allwin.jpg
basic allwin.jpg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Here is another one Jonathan, slightly different than Slotalots pic but you will probably be able to figure out how the payout is made, but as Badpenny said it would be interesting to see your innovative solution.

If you are interested there is the annual slotty auction at Coventry next month (25th at the Coundon Club CV6 1GP) and a great day out it is, there are many different sorts of machines and often you can pick up 'basket case' allwin mechs ripe for stripping down and rebuilding - nothing like getting down to basics for learning about these things.

Whilst on the subject of our hobby, check out Jerry's magazine (Mechanical Memories Magazine) click the Archive tab on the left and then the Magazine drawer, its well worth the annual subscription.

Good luck and post some pics when your done. !!THUMBSX2!!
Attachments
7 cup mech 01.jpg
7 cup mech 02.jpg
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Can't seem to enlarge Slotalot's file above. Any chance of a larger image? Thanks. Fascinating mechs.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Try standing 20 feet away from your screen with binoculars.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Written from my hospital bed.... open window was 15 feet away, bloody long drop into the front garden. But thanks for the suggestion.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Excellent and what was it you're bequeathing me?
jonathans257

scrap metal allwin the video

Post by jonathans257 »

Topic merged - site admin.