Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
john t peterson

Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Post by john t peterson »

Friends, I have a Brenner "Ball Past the Arrow" with some missing parts. There are two different models and mine is the one with the "star wheel" to the right side as opposed to the model where it is centered, photos attached. I am seeking anyone who can provide me some close-up photos of their mechanism so that I might then be able to fabricate the parts that I am missing. Thanks in advance for your support. Your Yankee correspondent, John Peterson.
Attachments
Brenner03.jpg
Brenner02.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi John,

Actually, there were at least four versions of the Skill Fun. It seems it remained a good seller from the 1930s right into the late 1950s. The earliest version had a tap-shaped handle you had to crank to set the arrow and another had a token payout mechanism. The most common variations that you refer to differed greatly. The earlier version had at least twice as much mechanism, with a thick, three-dimensional arrow casting and required the player to pull the trigger once to set the arrow and again to release the ball and shoot it. The later version, with a flat arrow, was in a case no deeper than a standard allwin and only needed one flick of the trigger to set the arrow and fire the ball.

As a preliminary, here's a picture of the upper part of the mech. (later version - like yours). It looks like you're missing various bits of bent tin that guide the coins towards the hopper, cash box and payout.

I'll take some more pics.
Attachments
BPA-mech.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

They're quite complex shapes. I hope this at least helps to show the task ahead.
Attachments
a5.jpg
a4.jpg
a3.jpg
a2.jpg
a1.jpg
john t peterson

Terrific photos!

Post by john t peterson »

Thanks for the great photos. I can see that I have my work cut out for me (although not yet.) This site is simply the best of its kind. Passion for this hobby shows through in all the support you members consistently demonstrate for one another. Thank you to one and all. John Peterson, USA
slotalot

Re: Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow." Have one?

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D , And I must say it's good to be up and running again, that's the Forum, not Me!!!
I have just managed to find a Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow" machine, or should I say the door from one :D
It is missing some of the parts, so using John's photos, I have marked the missing bits with white arrows, I could have taken a photo of my machine, but as I say the bits are missing !PUZZLED! , so not much point in that :lol:
Anyway the two main areas are the coin trip, and the "reset??" bar at the bottom, and from John's photos I can't quite see what is happening behind the other bits, so I wondered if anyone could take some good clear photos showing how the two bits work? so I can remake them... or better still, has anyone got any of the missing parts that I could buy??? :tarah:
Attachments
Brenner03a1.jpg
Brenner02a1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Post by pennymachines »

Here are some close-up angles. Let me know if I can aim the camera more usefully.
Attachments
BPA6.jpg
BPA5.jpg
BPA4.jpg
BPA3.jpg
BPA2.jpg
BPA1.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

!!YIPPEE!! Thanks for that Dave, very helpfull !THUMBS! it tells me everything I need to know !!CHEERS!! I will be in the shed if you need me! :tarah:
grabber

Post by grabber »

Hi,
My Brenner Ball Past the Arrow seems to have a ball that's a little too big. Can anyone tell me the right size ball for this game?
Regards, The Grabber.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Grabber, I found that a half inch diameter ball was a little light to trip the mech :oops: , so I use a 9/16 inch diameter ball on mine and it works fine. !THUMBS!
grabber

Post by grabber »

Thanks for that, I'll give that a try.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Brenner 'Skill Fun' dissected

Post by badpenny »

Topic split, copied and merged from See it Operate - site admin.

Not trying to expand your horizons, however if you want a really different Allwin with astonishing mechanics supporting a really unique game play clue yourself into Brenners Ball Past the Arrow............... :cool:
raj

Re: Bryans Elevenses

Post by raj »

Have you still got the video of it in action BP?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Your wish is my command (courtesy of rippyspennyarcade)...

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

swaledaleslots wrote:Have you still got the video of it in action BP?
Ask and you shall receive ...........

https://vid250.photobucket.com/albums/g ... eArrow.mp4

Since I did this I've tidied up some of the temporary makeshift adjustments I made to get it working. Converted it from steam to nuclear and had a haircut.
markymark

Re: Bryans Elevenses & Brenner Skill Fun explained

Post by markymark »

Yep.. I want one! Mechanics inside... Genius!!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You may notice, the videos show two rather different machines. BP's is a very early model with a handle to set the arrow. Later versions did away with the handle and the two coin payout. You pulled the trigger once to release the ball and again to set the arrow and fire the ball. The prize for winning was one coin and a free go. Rippyspennyarcade's video shows the final version which had a shallower cabinet and flat arrow (compared to the earlier, chunky arrow). In this version, one pull of the trigger set the arrow and delivered the ball ready for firing upon release and there was no 'guaranteed win' position.
christopheb

Post by christopheb »

Have always wanted one! I think they are really neat.
Maybe I am pushing my luck but.... you would not have a video of the inside mechanism in action, would you ?

Thanks, Christophe.
coppinpr

BW Brenner of Croydon

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - site admin.

I'm not an allwin man but I like to learn all I can about all types of slots. Just seen this very nice machine on ebay at a very high price. Can anyone tell me anything about BW Brenner of Croydon. I grew up in that area in the 50s but don't recall this firm. Anyone know their old address?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Slot- ... 416be9ad49
Attachments
bpa1.JPG
slotalot

Re: BW Brenner of Croydon

Post by slotalot »

Hi coppinpr :D His full name was Bernard William Brenner. His old address was 374 London Road, Croydon, which I think was across the road from the end of Pemdevon Road. As to the price of the Ball Past Arrow, I have one and it is a good machine to play, but don't think they are worth anything like that.
But I could be wrong :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: BW Brenner of Croydon

Post by badpenny »

Brenner - Get Past The Arrow.

In my view is a classic. It's more than just an allwin it is very mechanical and as interactive as a random machine can be.
It's random because you have no control over where the the arrow ends up.
I think that price is a bit ambitious however they have always achieved an above average allwin value.
Here's a video of mine .......

I think if you do a search on this forum you should find a few threads on this really unique design of allwin. (Merged above - site admin.)

Badpenny