Jentzsch & Meerz Simplex catcher

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Jentzsch & Meerz Simplex catcher

Post by treefrog »

Came across the below German machine, which looks similar to a Bijou type machine, with a cigarette payout. It has been restored, or should I say tweaked, over time and seems to have lost its badges on the playfield. I wonder if this started out as a cigarette payout machine and was modified later. Looks like it would pay out maybe a packet of 5 Woodbine, based on the gap on the slide.

I was considering buying it, but not sure how original this machine is and would be interested in any opinions or advice. The rear mechanism wood looks like a piece of ply board which makes me wonder if this was changed at the time of modification, if done at all. The top flash, I assume, would have been added and the handles are not the normal smaller type you see on these machines.

Any opinions would be appreciated before I release hard earned cash :oops:
Attachments
bijou1.JPG
bijou2.JPG
arrgee

Re: Bijou or Bajazzo Catcher

Post by arrgee »

Hi Treefrog, not sure about this one. I have seen one before but in a bit of a state - see first two pics.
These may have been genuine conversions of the original catchers - see third and forth pics, although if that was the case, then the doors would have been replaced, as the 'cig' one show no infill of payout cup hole.
Attachments
Shield 1.JPG
Shield 1.JPG (80.8 KiB) Viewed 7146 times
Shield 6.JPG
Shield 6.JPG (81.68 KiB) Viewed 7146 times
shield catcher ebay 01.jpg
shield catcher ebay 02AB.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Still haven't made my mind up on this machine....as with any restoration you worry how much has been changed but looking at the machine posted by Arrgee suggests most of it looks genuine and I don't think it is the same machine as this one was a single cigarette vendor rather than a packet....the seller will take £510 for it. The only thing that is a shame, which is not easy to see in the picture is the right hand side of the door has some filler on it in various places, I assume either general wood damage or previous woodworm....It will probably be gone by now anyway, but if I don't go for it by Sunday happy to pass on the details for anyone who may be interested.

The clock in the background is overpriced, eg asking £580 for it...
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Treefrog,

It's a lovely looking machine. Costa-Haskell had a coin version that they attributed to Max Jentzsch & Meerz, "The Simplex" c. 1925. I have that model as well. From what I can tell, this game was originally constructed as a cigarette dispenser as opposed to a later conversion. The game is missing two spandrels, one on each side of the pins. You can see the faint images on the faded play field.

I cannot comment intelligently on British value but I can opine that whomever decides to buy will not regret purchasing the game.

J Peterson
Simple American
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Apologies for going Off Topic ............ However: -

Hell's Teeth John if you are representative of a Simple American, then gawd 'elp us all if an American of superior ability ever gets elected President. :o
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

A kind comment, Mr. BP. Should I ever run for office, you shall be my top advisor and press secretary. Our campaign slogan will be: "A chicken in every pot and an allwin on every wall!"
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

John T. Peterson wrote:an allwin on every wall!
YEP!...You got my vote !!CHEERS!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

John T. Peterson wrote:A chicken in every pot
You just lost my vote. See, you can't please all the people.

As for the Simplex - looks to me like an honest machine for a fair price. I particularly like the pediment. It's a shame it has no original instruction cards, but that's par for the course. If it hasn't sold yet, maybe there's room for negotiation.

Isn't it exciting to find these in an antique shop? It so rarely happens, you can get carried away and pay a lot more than you would if it was just one amongst many on offer at the annual slotty auction.
Attachments
Simplex - Costa sale
Simplex - Costa sale
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When a machine is that old, alterations that were done to it whilst it was being operated in my book tend to be more acceptable than anything done afterwards.

If I stumbled across that one at that price I'd be hard pushed not to have a go.
I wonder Froggy if you're allowing yourself to be confuddled by the fact that The Clock is overpriced so you're feeling overly suspicious about everything else in the shop.

Drop £400 in folding in front of him whilst keeping another couple of ponies on your hip to add to it if needed.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I may be a bit late in adding my 4 pence worth, but having recently moved I have been unable to get at some of my machines. Anyway here is a similar Shield catcher that I bought about 12 years ago for around £600 from an AA Co. Auction. I have never considered it to have been altered, nor changed from a clown catcher. Hope it is of some help. Price seems OK to me.
Attachments
SAM_0001a.jpg
SAM_0002a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

.......... and the knobs look the same!
treefrog

Re: Jentzsch & Meerz Simplex catcher

Post by treefrog »

Thanks for the advice. So I went back today and it was still there.... but the top pediment now was missing half the wood... I had noticed one side was split when visiting before, but someone must have leant on it. Anyway, it is all there and is a clean break, so made an offer again and got it for £450 from the original £580 price tag. Should be a simple clamp and glue repair. In terms of the sign, it looks old to me, the card is embossed with each letter cut out of white paper for each letter and stuck on the embossed card (you can see the N below, which I need to glue back on). On the back is a very old maker stamp, which I can hardly read, but appears to be some Arcade in Snow Hill in Birmingham, with an old phone number Central 433. Can't read the card maker's name. I would suggest this is period, which is good.
So fairly pleased and plays well, just need to keep my eye on some period spandrels and packets of 5 woodbine. Also I can see two areas where card signs on the playfield would have had instructions on, e.g. turn knob and 1D etc., etc. So until I can see another one, will make some cards with appropriate words on..... :D
Attachments
woodbine.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done Tom, you know it was the right thing to do.

What worries me is that now you've learnt to negotiate assertively, how I am going to sell you a machine the next time you and Khan visit? :-(
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ha ah BP, yes I am getting better. This is the longest I have taken to dwell over a purchase. Found another picture from the Costa sale of 2006 of a very similar machine with cigarette vendor. It is interesting these Nic Costa auctions at Christies, so many of the machines like catchers were described as Electric shockers, of course they weren't. Maybe bad advice.

I would love to get catalogues from the two auctions, suspect you guys are hoarding them and wish I was collecting at that time as an awful lot of nice machines were sold then.
Attachments
bijou3.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well done on your purchase and nice price.
The one above is catalogued as The Bulldog, although the only difference seems to be the fancy upper casting where the ball emerges and the bulldog on the moving shield.
I would imagine it was re-themed after WW1 with the British Bulldog to disguise its German origin.
arrgee

Re: Jentsch & Meerz Simplex catcher

Post by arrgee »

I notice that in virtually all these photos, there is a metal lock plate presumably to help prevent forcing the lock. As these plates are the same I am wondering whether this is an indication that these machines are all from the same manufacturer
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

They're all by Jentzsch & Meerz of Leipzig, Germany.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well another one to add to the thread, this time on Ebay and one hell of a project for someone.....from one of our members I believe...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151522160833? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
clown.JPG
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I think the cows have been at it...........and the chickens, and the sheep and the mice :shock:
come on Jimmy, nice little winter project for you.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Only one careful owner from new !!THUMBSX2!!
and 25 others who couldn't give a ******* :oops: but I am sure someone will fall in love with it and give it a new life.. :D