Philip Shefras wall machine list

General vintage slot machine related topics.
arrgee

Re: W O T ???

Post by arrgee »

Gameswat wrote:The second machine has a Philip Shefras Ltd badge with address at Hollybush Place, Bethnal Green road, London E2
Seen one or two of the second type allwin before but, until now, did not know anything about them, they have a very distinctive style payout cup.

With the arched door and sloping coin entry, I wonder if this brings us closer to the Mystery 50s manufacturer (Philip Shefras Ltd) as discussed on the 7 year old thread in the Open Forum? (Now merged - site admin.)
Attachments
001 allwin.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Mystery 50s allwin manufacturer

Post by pennymachines »

I've copied and merged into this thread Scottie's recent inquiry about the maker of two allwins because, as Gameswat has pointed out, the Allwin Supreme has the Philip Shefras badge on it, and Arrgee has spotted an unmistakable connection between this and our mystery allwins via another game called simply Allwin (above).

By Jove! I think, at last, you may have cracked it gentlemen. Good work!

Those two machines appear to bridge the gap. The Allwin Supreme provides the maker's name and although, at first, it doesn't look much like the other mystery machines, it has six visible distinctive features in common with the Allwin: the unusual shaped gallery back plate, the diagonal-slot coin entry plate, the long hinges, the diamond shaped coin cup surround, the payout knob and collar, and you turn the handle clockwise for a win.

The Allwin, with its arched door frame, is more obviously from the mystery stable and has most of the typical, features.

I would imagine these are both early examples of the type, the Supreme being the earlier.

Another notable thing about these machines is that the cases tend to be of beech or some other softwood or, in later examples, plywood. The Supreme doesn't look like oak.

As such, Morris Shefras allwins were the nearest match. They're unusual in the use of softwood cases (and later, ply) and they have the clockwise payout. It didn't make sense, though, that Morris would be making two similar but distinct sets of allwins, one with his name on, the other without. But it does make sense that the two Shefras brothers with their separate companies produced a set each.

Of course, it's possible that Philip just distributed the Supreme, but until someone can persuade me otherwise, I'm referring to our mystery machines as Philip Shefras allwins.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Here are some pics of the mechanisms from three of these mystery manufacturers, the first is from 'The Allwin' the second is Win a Polo and the third is Win a Gum. note the internal ball runways are the same and all covered in clear plastic sheet, as per Oli Whales, but more importantly each runway has been routed out as one space and then separated by a thin strip of metal (all of the mechs from O W's I have seen have their runways routed out individually and separated by a piece of the wood backboard), another small piece of the linking jigsaw.
Attachments
002 allwin mech.JPG
Polo Fruits.jpg
Win a gum.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's another Allwin Supreme, from VCA auction 2009, which also carries the Philip Shefras badge.
Although the cashdoor is oak (replaced?), the case is not.
Attachments
allwin-supreme.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

OK, the inside of the electric version is already on this thread, below is a Jackpot version. Cannot see a single common part to the machines above. They are more like industrial versions of Bryans, even some plastic in there....The jackpot version has a standard 2 coin slide and massive 10 coin slide for the jackpot.
Attachments
mystery.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Agreed, not much matches inside, but I put this down to the ad-hoc, piecemeal way the various models were produced, starting just after the war, and continuing into the '60s. There's great variation in the exteriors too, but just enough key features, in my opinion, to discern a common source from Allwin Supreme to Jackpot. Games like the Jackpot, Plentywin, Safari and Flash Win, with the large lower casting, appear to be the last models produced, by which time there was standardisation. Double Your Money was made both with, and without, the bottom casting.

Look at the ball release lever, from the mechanisms pictured in this thread. It's connected to the ball release paddle via a bent wire which is threaded through a lockable aperture. This allows the stroke of the lever relative to the paddle to be adjusted. I don't think I've seen this anywhere else (Morris Shefras products included). Challenge - can you find it on another known make of allwin?
lever-cu.jpg

4balllevers.jpg

A couple more Allwin Supremes:
allwin-supreme3.jpg

allwin-supreme2.jpg

Compare with these "unknown manufacturer's" Win A Cigs:
From London Science Museum
From London Science Museum

Raj's Oak cased Win A Cig
Raj's Oak cased Win A Cig

winacig2.jpg
winacig2.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 7559 times

winacig3.jpg

Snap?
When the one above appeared on the forum, last year, I commented:
The bowed upper door frame and flat plate coin slot reminds me of the as yet unidentified allwins... particularly the Win A Kit Kat, Win Aero, Win Trebor Gum and Win A Penguin. The Win A Penguin even has the same unusual tall hinges.
For good measure - the Philip Shefras Win-a-Cigar Barrels and badge.
75.jpg

PhilipShefrasWin-a-Cig003.jpg
PhilipShefrasWin-a-Cig003.jpg (24.61 KiB) Viewed 7559 times

john t peterson

Flash Win

Post by john t peterson »

Topic moved & merged - site admin.

Here are pictures of my "Flash Win," Arrgee. As you can see from the pictures, the mechanism is partially disassembled. This is typical of many of the machines that I purchased in the Glenn Collection. They were originally brought into the US in the '70s, most through California, and steps were taken at the time to render the games "amusement only." Depending upon the workman completing the task, more of less of the mechanism was removed and almost always discarded.

The game has an adjustable payout with the various numbers printed on the long wood rectangle that sits behind the cutout at the top of the ball gallery, much like some of the Bryans machines. The backflash on this machine is hand-painted with a spaceship (pictured) featuring a hand-lettered "lost." If you like eclectic electric allwins, this is game is for you!
Attachments
IMG_2303.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thank you John for taking the photographs. I was rather hoping for a mechanical Allwin to compare with photos I have, however, these are still very interesting in their own right.

What strikes me about all these 'Mystery Allwins' is the beautifully engineered components that you would not normally see on a 50s/60s allwin. Look at the photo of the release mech of a sweetie allwin I had, with its toothed slide meshing to an engineered toothed cog which rotates a horizontal tube to drop the tube of sweets. I have not seen this level of engineering on a sweetie allwin. They usually work on a horizontal slide plate with small vertical upstand to push/pull the sweet over the payout chute. All of the other components are also very well engineered and very well finished.

I also see that some of the castings on your machine have been painted/coated black the same as the photo posted by treefrog - so again factory attention to detail is present. When I saw treefrogs photo, I assumed that the black was an operator addition, but your mech seems to confirm that it was applied at manufacture.

All very intriguing and fascinating.
Attachments
MM mech.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Two more for the record... both from eBay.
Another Allwin Supreme:
allwinSupreme.JPG

allwinSupreme-mech.jpg

and another Plentywin without topflash:
Plentywin.JPG

Plentywin-mech.JPG

scottie

what is the name of this one?

Post by scottie »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi everyone,
I have seen this one before but I can't remember what it's called or who made it.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
scottie.
Attachments
$T2eC16ZHJIcFHN++Cu9VBSfV,5gZOg~~60_35.jpg
$T2eC16ZHJIcFHN++Cu9VBSfV,5gZOg~~60_35.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 7135 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Philip Shefras? allwins

Post by pennymachines »

I've moved and merged your post Scottie, because it's a Philip Shefras Double Your Money, as shown on Page 3 of this thread.
scottie

Post by scottie »

Thank you Mr pennymachines,
As of posting the last message, I now own one... ( Philip Shefras Double Your Money).
Could you or anyone post a picture of the "hopper" (where the pennies sit inside of the machine).
I think I am missing two payout slides. The one payout slide I have, is two pennies thick.
questions:
#1 How thick are the two other pay-out slides?
#2 Does any one reading this have these parts for sale? Please let me know...
#3 What are the different payouts of each of the 11 cups?
And last, but not least, what year would you say this game is?
Thank you all once again,
scottie.
Attachments
$T2eC16V,!zUFIcFCK43zBSfVbR)(,Q~~60_35.jpg
$T2eC16V,!zUFIcFCK43zBSfVbR)(,Q~~60_35.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Your machine only has one slide bar, so all wins are 2 coins I would guess. I am sure there is another picture on here of one with the missing two bars. In full complement it would be 3 slides, I would guess 6 in the middle, 4 in the middle of two sets of 2, but you should be able to tell looking at the back of the ball gantry. I have no spares for these, but obviously the coin tube is missing...
scottie

Post by scottie »

Hi treefrog,
There is another picture of a "Double Your Win" (front of game) on page 3 of this posting.
I can't see what the payouts are, even when I zoom in on it??? 6 4 3 1 ??
Knowing this will help figure out the pay-out slides.
Usually it's 1,2,3 or 2,4,6, etc., but with this type of pay-out system I'm not sure.
scottie
Attachments
top sign.jpg
top sign.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 7189 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The top payouts are: 2, 2, 4, 2, 2, 6, 2, 2, 4, 2, 2.
You can see this on Treefrog's Safari, which, as I mentioned before, is a Double Your Money with the wrong top glass.
I think the Safari, Plentywin and Flash-Win have identical payout schemes.
gallery.jpg
gallery.jpg (4.34 KiB) Viewed 7159 times

I guess it uses three slides, each two coins deep.
I also believe that, like Bryan's allwins, these have operator-set variable payouts. You rotate the long four-sided wood block with the payout numbers to the chosen scheme and set the sprung ball diverter to match. This channels winning balls to the lower payouts.
No doubt, Treefrog can confirm or correct.

I only have the Jackpot to compare, which pays 2 or 12 with a 2 coin and 10 coin slide:
jkpt1.jpg

scottie

Post by scottie »

Excellent.
Thank you Mr Pennymachines.
Now I can start working on getting some new slides made up.
Interesting your JACKPOT pays 12. Wow, that must have been the game to play back in the day.
scottie
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It might be worth waiting for Treefrog to say if I'm right about the 3 x 2 penny slides, before cutting metal...

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Now the reason I was cautious with the payout as PM has forgotten that mine is an electric payout, so single slide.....See piccies below.Also at the bottom have the Jackpot version, with the massive slide for the jackpot and yes very generous. The visible coins seen from the front are a false jackpot.

On the other machine, there is an interesting wooden block with 4 payout options as seen below, you can rotate, I guess changing the slide our combination as required.

See in action
Attachments
Ipswich-20131126-00359.jpg
IMG-20131126-00358.jpg
Ipswich-20131126-00357.jpg
Ipswich-20131126-00360.jpg
Ipswich-20131126-00362.jpg
scottie

Post by scottie »

so ...just so I am clear, Mr treefrog.
does my machine have, three slides, each two coins deep
thank you once again for all your help
scottie
p.s what year would this machine be from?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Scottie, As per your email, see below picture and explanation although I am not great at explaining these type of things.

On these they have a channel the balls drops into, one for 2 coin, one for 4 and rear one (middle) for 6. Depending what one your in, eg 2 coin win will trip the associated lever above the winning slide lever. The thing is if the 4 win is obtained it will also force down the 2 slide lever and with a 6 win, both the others levers are forced down, tripping all three slides. You will see below picture, the pink arrow on the bar controlling the first slider lever when the higher win is tripped. This is a picture of a two slide win on the Jackpot allwin. You can see the lower levers marked with the green arrow controlling the slides. I think yours is missing the levers for the two other slides as well as the slides. Maybe converted . Do you have the award bar you can rotate, as there should be one for all 2 win's you could change this and not worry about the other wins as maybe difficult to replace unless you make them.
Attachments
allwin.jpg