Chromer

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
guyblue10

Chromer

Post by guyblue10 »

Can someone recommend a good/cost effective chromer for a few small allwin parts

Thanks

Guy
terry

Re: Chromer

Post by terry »

Hi Guy. Don't know where you live but I've always used these guys. Good prices if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for your parts.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 3LO_0VOobw
raj

Re: Chromer..triple plate

Post by raj »

I have a technical question that someone is sure to able to confirm. I see triple plated chrome bandied about on the web, so I asked someone who should know to explain. Apparently, chrome being a clear protective finish, needs a nice shiny undercoat ( polished nickle) and a smooth base coat.
His view is that the base should be the properly prepared and polished original metal and that those who try to 'sell' triple are doing it on the cheap. The 3rd coat in question is copper and is applied over a roughly prepared original metal as a 'filler'. Copper is nice and soft and is easy to polish, but does not do away with any original corrosion, which will continue to eat away at the base metal. A bit like not grinding out rust on an old car panel I suppose.
Anyway, can anyone confirm or deny, or add to the post ? :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I understood the other reason for plating first with something like copper is that the nickel takes to it better than it would others. A Jennings casting for example.
guyblue10

Post by guyblue10 »

Thanks Terry

I may give them a shout if I can't find anyone more local - I'm sure they'll do stuff by post, but it would be nice to find somewhere nearer home....anyone got a favourite chromer in the North West?

Thanks

Guy
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

A quick word of warning. I was speaking to a slottie at Coventry yesterday and having had machines re-chromed, he told me that 8 years later it is starting to lift. If I were him, I would be doing my nut. :!!!:

But, time and time again, I have heard of similar problems.

A recommendation is worth a 1000 adverts so do let us know how you get on.

Only 8 years to wait.

Bye for now.... !!ESCAPE!!