Pig in a Poke? You decide

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!

Pig in a Poke?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:42 pm

Genius
55%
Sitting on the fence
9%
Goat
36%

Total votes: 22

coppinpr

Re: Pig in a Poke? You decide

Post by coppinpr »

One week remaining. Have YOU voted?
The big question John is.... have you? :!?!:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Ah.....no. Too much self-interest, I'm afraid. And I don't want to skew the results in any manner. I already know what I think; I want to know what all of you think!
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

You will disclose what you think (or perhaps know) John, once the results are in??
andydotp
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

............ and will that take into account the Christie's auction later that same year where the same game sold for ..........?

Jeremy
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

John T. Peterson wrote:Ah.....no. Too much self-interest, I'm afraid. And I don't want to skew the results in any manner. I already know what I think; I want to know what all of you think!
Well, for what my opinion is worth, I am going for 'Genius'. Having seen how this machine should work from Mr Treefrog's video, I think the cost well justified (particularly when converted to proper currency). In addition to the already raised issue of cross-head screws, I do wonder as to why the handle looks like it has been replaced with an old chrome tap/faucet handle? I wonder if similar liberties have been taken with the mech we cannot see?

I look forward to seeing piccies of the restored machine.
fruitbowl

Post by fruitbowl »

Hi folks,
I bought a Pin Up Girl some years back at Cliff Mills' auction down Bristol way I think. I still have it. I paid £1200 for it. It works on 1D, has an oak case in nice condition, so maybe a genius.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Well the polls are closed, and I did not vote. I have to confess I have no idea what the machine should cost, though it wouldn't surprise me if it was worth twice as much in the US as it would be in Britain. As for the traveling, meh. 1300 miles would be about the round trip distance from Vegas to Reno, the only other major city in this entire state. It's about how far you'd be willing to drive for a birthday party.
john t peterson

The survey results are in:
Genius: 55%
Goat: 36%
On the fence: 9%

I would like to thank all who participated in the “Pig in a Poke” survey. Whether you voted or just followed along in the merry fun, I hope you enjoyed the postings and learned a thing or two. I know I did.
The numerous postings covered the subject quite thoroughly, starting with the essential question: What is it worth? Roger was smart to research previous sales, turning up the same machine in a May, 2006 Christies auction that sold for 360 pounds (not dollars.) Earlier in January of that same year at the same auction house, another pin-up machine formerly owned by Nic Costa sold for 1,000 pounds plus tax and commissions. Other members like Gameswa had auction information that had the game selling for over 1,000 pounds. My feeling is that the 360GBP auction price was an aberration rather than an accurate market benchmark.

Although this approach is valuable, it does not answer the critical question which is: Not knowing the true condition of the game, how much are you willing to risk on a hunch that your cost will be less than the value of what you get? Or as Coppinpr succinctly put it, “The cost of the trip is, of course, not the issue, only the risk of ending up with a lemon versus the cost…is the cost acceptable if we have no idea what the machine is like.”

There is no correct answer. I have another of these games in my collection to use as a model should there be parts missing. Even so, some pieces are so complex that even with an original as the model, the cost of duplication would be prohibitive. I also know that for me, crunching the numbers of cost versus future selling price does not solely determine whether or not I acquire a notable piece. There are other equally important factors.

But that discussion remains for a later day in my next article for Mechanical Memories Magazine: “The Things We Do For Love.” At that time, all will be revealed, including what the heck is inside the poke. At the current time, I have not yet taken Ms Exclusive Automatics to the locksmith to have her opened for inspection. I can tell you that it feels (weight-wise) as though most if not all the mechanism is intact. I remain optimistic until proven wrong.

I cannot conclude without special recognition to my favorite post by bryans fan: “I suspect you will turn out to be proved a genius you old goat!” Clever wordplay wins every time in my book! Bryans Fan, you are hereby awarded the “BadPenny Literary Crown of the Day!” Wear it proudly.

Happy Holidays to each and every one of you. May you find that special something under the tree before Santa discovers he incorrectly tallied your report card.

John Peterson
American G-Man
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Well done JTP and thanks for a very entertaining thread.
I'm sure many of us look forward to hearing further news and seeing some piccies in due course.
Kind regards,
andydotp
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

John T. Peterson wrote:The survey results are in:
Genius: 55%
Goat: 36%
On the fence: 9%
I cannot conclude without special recognition to my favorite post by bryans fan: “I suspect you will turn out to be proved a genius you old goat!” Clever wordplay wins every time in my book! Bryans Fan, you are hereby awarded the “BadPenny Literary Crown of the Day!” Wear it proudly.
Hi John. I am very proud to accept your award, and I am wearing it as we speak, many casual observers might think it looks like a tatty tissue paper crown out of a cracker, but we know better!
HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!
!PARTY! !!PARTY!! !!PARTY!! !!CHEERS!!

!PARTY!
john t peterson

First cryptic clue after having new key cut today: The mechanism appears to be complete.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John T Peterson wrote:after having new key cut today: The mechanism appears to be complete
Lock mechanism or game mechanism John? ;-)
john t peterson

The game mechanism, Arrgee. I got lucky with the new key; it fits both the upper door and the lower cashbox. Most games have two different keys for obvious reason: only the owner can get into the cashbox but can still allow the help to unstick a machine if it suffers a coin jam.
john t peterson

The article's been sent to the publisher. All to be revealed, soon. Thanks again to all who participated.

J Peterson
American Genius Goatman
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

You certainly know how to keep the 'expectant' slottie in suspense JTP :-?

I look forward to reading your article !READ!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just found this JP while looking around eBay for the first time in ages: 3 x BUSSOZ GIROUETTE PARIS 50'S METAL FAIRGROUND SIGNS
Pity you missed it, as according to the seller one of the plates was the original Girouette name plate turned backwards, which is exactly what my Pin Up Girl had!
john t peterson

You're right, Gameswa; these would have been perfect for my machines. The only category that I monitor on Ebay-UK is the coin-operated section. Pity that I did not also watch circus/fairground.

JP