Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
whizza

Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'

Post by whizza »

Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'
Ainsworth Consolidated Industries

Hello

I have recently acquired my first bandit but am struggling to get it working.

The coin mechanism appears to be working OK.
After inserting 6D coin, the arm can be pulled.
Soon after, there is a noise that sounds like the 3 reels stopping, but the reels never actually start spinning.

Any advice as to why the reels do not spin, gratefully received.

Also, what is the power connection for at the bottom left side on the front of the mechanism?
Multimeter shows 3.5V AC on the connector.
coppinpr

Re: Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'

Post by coppinpr »

Hi,
Welcome to the best slot forum there is... bar none.
Aristo's are pretty much indestructible, so I'm sure we can get it working between the lot of us. First of all, you must learn the motto of the forum "we love photos!". Someone on here will almost always be able to point you in the right direction if we can see photos. Photo the machine, and all the relevant parts and someone will work the magic.
My guess is... and it's just a guess at the moment, the kicker is either not engaging or the reels are gummed up solid. Open the machine and work the mech, so you can see what's going on and answer these questions:
1. Does the clock load during the handle pull and run down after its let go?
2. Do the reels move at all after the handle reaches its full pull?
3. Do the three arms that lock the reels one at a time retract during the pull, ready to allow the reels to turn?

Let us know, show us pictures, and we will love to help.

!TWWP!
whizza

Post by whizza »

Some pictures of the bandit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93136305@N06/

The 3 reels do move up very slightly as the arm is pulled down.

The red strip spins.

The 3 arms move out of the cogs as the arm is pulled down and go back into their cogs one at a time.

The center and right reels can be rotated by hand, but something is stopping the left hand reel from being rotated by hand.
Attachments
LuckyChance.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd suspect that lelectrickery gizmo mounted over the vertical fingers myself.
Usually, if the first reel on a bandit is fouled, it's the vertical fingers not clearing the payout discs.
If the first disc can't turn, then the kicker can't move, so none of the reels move.

BP
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

aristocrat take tenauction.jpg

whizza

Post by whizza »

Can someone enlighten me as to what the electrically powered component is used for?
Attachments
8466289348_1d6bf0d621_b (1).jpg
8465196463_00721b8edf_b.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The socket is clearly to attach the power from the case to the mech but almost certainly the power only lights the special feature lights for the duration on the feature play.
I've not seen this exact set up but many quite like it.
When the correct line comes up, the mechanical cog system mounted on the payout finger frame is engaged (A), lighting up the special feature and (B), allowing a win every time the special symbol appears in the first window. The cog system advances each pull, until the rotation is complete and the lights go off and the feature dis-engages.
I've often found this type of cog system gets very stiff and fails to turn. COULD be that is what is jamming the payout disc and thus the first reel and kicker?

As I say, I've not seen this one and it is possible the cog mech is electrically powered, in which case a broken/jammed solenoid or motor would screw things up. Take it off, try the machine without it, clean it, lightly oil it, make it work by hand, smoothly, then replace it. Sounds like fun, wish I had it here :(
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I have never seen this box of tricks before, admittedly I'm not that into machines you have to plug in to play (my pinball is the exception).

What does it allow the player to do?
I've searched through all of the photos in OP's Flickr account and thoroughly enjoyed the Pole Dancing Club. Is there one in Bromsgrove?
As the wires from the steppa motor seem to go to a female socket, I'm puzzled as to what manages what it does?
Is there some kind of controller in the case?
Are there a set of contacts on the reels ?

Peering at it from every angle, I note there are three vertical fingers crudely tied together with bare wire that look as if they are controlled by it.
It can't force a mystery payout, as the fingers look intact and need to pass through the payout discs.
Does it hold the fingers back?

I agree with Coppin - take it off and see if the machine plays. I think it's stopping vertical fingers from withdrawing, thus locking up reel one and jamming the kicker.
As I originally said, I suspect that unit isn't behaving, but what does it do?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I am a fan of keeping this item working with the electrics. I would guess these were conversions in the UK. You see, as Coppinpr says, similar schemes on other machines, e.g., Mills, Sega and Aristocrats. I think I have a few, but not like this.

Possible way this works is: This has two slides. I think the top slide is for the 2 coin one shilling payout and the bottom manages the front token tube payout for 5 shillings. These two fingers seem to be controlled by the said motor/gearing and, I suspect, stops the fingers going through all the discs, maybe the first two only (upper finger 5 and 6 from front to back). When the feature kicks in, it allows the finger to go through all three to payout on wins the other slide. I would have thought this should be plugged into the front door and/or top box to light up when the special feature kicks in, also into a transformer. The feature will run so many times before locking the fingers again. I of course maybe completely wrong. Aristomatic has a similar machine by the looks of it, perhaps he can confirm.

Question is, when operating, are all the upper fingers completely clear of the discs. If so, then, as Coppinpr says, it is probably just something like old hardened grease on the kicker. The mechanism is very clean, but you can see that dark old grease in places. We cannot see the kicker from the pictures. Also where does the wire go to, as we cannot see the empty cabinet?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I agree with keeping it as it is.
I'm suggesting removing it merely to see if the cycle kicks in without it, as I guess it's not doing it's job. If it cycles without the gizmo then there's your problem (sucks teeth, shakes head and tuts).

I know we haven't seen it up close and that I keep repeating myself, but the owner gave a big clue when he said ...
"it sounds as if it's spun the reels ........ reels 2 & 3 can be turned by hand but not reel 1".

So until new evidence, I still say ......
If the vertical fingers aren't completely withdrawn they will foul the payout disc of reel 1 which will remain locked, whilst the other two will be free to turn by hand.
We all seem agreed that the gizmo affects the vertical fingers, so to me there is a connection there worth checking. :!?!:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

To offer some help, I have previously sent a pm to whizza.

As a new poster, they may or may not be aware of pm messaging, so will post below:

The pix I posted of a Take Ten award card machine is actually lifted from site's Arena November 2011 auction results page.

I have had three of these machines or mechanisms, one in an original Take Ten artwork branded cabinet, the other two in operator revised artwork to remove the Take Ten feature (maybe change in law/maybe improve % payout or maybe just because they didn't work very well............................).

Mechanisms I have had, seem to be all mechanical in operation.

Wiring is only there to switch on "10" symbol via a bulb behind it in the topbox when the Take Ten feature starts, and to then swith it off at the end of Ten game feature play. (NB: the normal tube to illuminate
the rest of the top artwork is also present on this model,it just has an additional simple bulb behind the ten symbol on the artwork).

From memory:
x3 ten symbols on centre lines pays a token.
As vertical the finger moves, the top of the finger flicks the switch to illuminate the "10" bulb.

At the same time, the finger lifts the gate on the Take Ten feature bonus mechanism to initiate the feature.

This rotates on each play for the next ten plays until a notched section causes the bonus mechanism to reset into normal play. As it does, it also trips the switch to switch off the bulb behind the "10" symbol in the topbox.

On these ten feature plays, the player still has to play a coin but, if any special feature symbol on the centre line of the first reel shows, then a token is dispensed by the usual finger and slide operation. (Most of the first reel symbols are feature symbols, so high payout).

I'm no expert, so please don't believe a word of the above as it's only input. Get advice from all quarters before making any changes or adjustments.

Only change one aspect of the mechanism at one time, where possible, and
take pix or video before making changes, but general advice would be.......

First, check for loose coins, nuts, bolts, washers that could foul the mechanism; loosen mech with paraffin or similar, but protect any vulnerable areas first, e.g. reelstrips/electrical wiring and contacts and the whole coin payout slide area.

GP
whizza

Post by whizza »

When the arm is pulled down almost to the point of activating the mechanism, the fingers are clear of the payout discs and all three reels can be turned manually.

What is the purpose of the V shaped bit of metal in this picture? (There is a spring attached to the left hand vertical of the V). This appears to be involved in the mechanism that pulls the fingers clear of the payout discs. Should the tension from this spring, as the arm is pulled, move the V to the right as the circular bit at the top of the V lifts up? It doesn't. The V will move by hand, but is very stiff.
V.jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes, the button should reach the top giving extra time before the fingers fall back in place and setting the kicker. The main operating bar is not going the full cycle. Could be many reasons, you need to track it back. Could be simply a worn or bent bracket. One test is to place the blade of a screwdriver between the main operating bar and the plate that raises it, making the bar lift higher, cycle the mech and see if this makes the machine run.
whizza

Post by whizza »

What might this lever (circled) be for?
It can be pulled out about 1cm.
Could it be for releasing stuck coins?

L.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your advice thus far.
Last edited by whizza on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think it's a fan stop. I dont do Arcadians much, so I can't check. Someone will. If it stops the fan and thus the clock from unwinding - very useful during testing, as it would leave the reels free to spin.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Only guessing here, but on a few of my Mills machines this wire/rod lever retracts the little tooth (check LH side of mech) when a jam occurs.
On the Mills it's seated at the back of the mech and you pull it to operate it.
Opposite with this Aristo version, as the wire appears 'forward'.
Push and it might work similarly with a swivel the other end.
a.p
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As Coppinpr says, it stops the fan on the clock to allow you to test payouts, for example, so you can align your win, release the fan while holding the reels in place. I am sure there were other maintenance benefits, but it is useful - saves taking out the mechanism. Not seen this on any other machine/manufacturer.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

whizza wrote:When the arm is pulled down almost to the point of activating the mechanism, the fingers are clear of the payout discs and all three reels can be turned manually.

What is the purpose of the V shaped bit of metal in this picture? (There is a spring attached to the left hand vertical of the V). This appears to be involved in the mechanism that pulls the fingers clear of the payout discs. Should the tension from this spring, as the arm is pulled, move the V to the right as the circular bit at the top of the V lifts up? It doesn't. The V will move by hand but is very stiff.
If that V shaped arm is too stiff to tip far enough over to the right in order for the button to stay sat on the top of it then ......
The vertical fingers will make contact with the payout disc of reel one, stopping it from spinning (sneaky feeling of Déjà Vu times 4 here).

Looking at the photo of the back of the mech, the right hand blade of the V shaped arm has a nasty score mark on it. Is it fouling on the spring, thus not travelling far enough to let the button get the top of vertical bot of the V?
Until it gets to sit up there, the vertical fingers won't stay in place allowing the reels to spin.

Also take that spit pin out and clean all the crud off that pivot, then use light oil.

BP

ps .............. vertical bot of the V a science fiction film from the 1970s starring Peter Cushing and Julie Andrews.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I had an Aristocrat Esprit where you could pull the handle and the reels would not spin. 1st reel never shifted and, due to gunk, fouled the second and so forth. The third was getting fouled on the payout feelers. The first reel had some teeth worn on its cog, so the kicker just slipped off. I removed the reel bundle, cleaned them all up and experimented with different size washers placed on the right hand side of the reel axle, before placing back in the A frame. Eventually, there was clearance from the feelers, about 1 to 1.5 mm and, because it shifted the first reel and others slightly over to the left, the kicker did not slip as the cog where the kicker made contact had been worn more to the right edge. After this, the reels (made of plastic, so light) whizzed and all was good. It's trial and error with this sort of problem but, when you get it spot on, very satisfying and makes that "oh my god what have I done" type purchase, more justified. Apart from the oil on the wife's table, clothes, carpets, ad infinitum.
whizza

Post by whizza »

After a drop of lubricant, the V now appears to be moving properly.

If I put coin in, pull the arm, stop the fan using the fan stop, spin all 3 reels by hand, restart the fan, the bandit appears to work OK.

Just need to locate the bit that is supposed to start the reels spinning automatically.