Somebody knows... Maybe you?
whizza

Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'

Postby whizza » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'
Ainsworth Consolidated Industries

Hello

I have recently acquired my first bandit but am struggling to get it working.

The coin mechanism appears to be working OK.
After inserting 6D coin, the arm can be pulled.
Soon after, there is a noise that sounds like the 3 reels stopping, but the reels never actually start spinning.

Any advice as to why the reels do not spin, gratefully received.

Also, what is the power connection for at the bottom left side on the front of the mechanism?
Multimeter shows 3.5V AC on the connector.

coppinpr

Re: Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'

Postby coppinpr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the best slot forum there is... bar none.
Aristo's are pretty much indestructible, so I'm sure we can get it working between the lot of us. First of all, you must learn the motto of the forum "we love photos!". Someone on here will almost always be able to point you in the right direction if we can see photos. Photo the machine, and all the relevant parts and someone will work the magic.
My guess is... and it's just a guess at the moment, the kicker is either not engaging or the reels are gummed up solid. Open the machine and work the mech, so you can see what's going on and answer these questions:
1. Does the clock load during the handle pull and run down after its let go?
2. Do the reels move at all after the handle reaches its full pull?
3. Do the three arms that lock the reels one at a time retract during the pull, ready to allow the reels to turn?

Let us know, show us pictures, and we will love to help.

!TWWP!

whizza

Postby whizza » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Some pictures of the bandit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93136305@N06/

The 3 reels do move up very slightly as the arm is pulled down.

The red strip spins.

The 3 arms move out of the cogs as the arm is pulled down and go back into their cogs one at a time.

The center and right reels can be rotated by hand, but something is stopping the left hand reel from being rotated by hand.
LuckyChance.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 pm

I'd suspect that lelectrickery gizmo mounted over the vertical fingers myself.
Usually, if the first reel on a bandit is fouled, it's the vertical fingers not clearing the payout discs.
If the first disc can't turn, then the kicker can't move, so none of the reels move.

BP

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:08 pm

aristocrat take tenauction.jpg

whizza

Postby whizza » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Can someone enlighten me as to what the electrically powered component is used for?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93136305@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93136305@N ... hotostream

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm

The socket is clearly to attach the power from the case to the mech but almost certainly the power only lights the special feature lights for the duration on the feature play.
I've not seen this exact set up but many quite like it.
When the correct line comes up, the mechanical cog system mounted on the payout finger frame is engaged (A), lighting up the special feature and (B), allowing a win every time the special symbol appears in the first window. The cog system advances each pull, until the rotation is complete and the lights go off and the feature dis-engages.
I've often found this type of cog system gets very stiff and fails to turn. COULD be that is what is jamming the payout disc and thus the first reel and kicker?

As I say, I've not seen this one and it is possible the cog mech is electrically powered, in which case a broken/jammed solenoid or motor would screw things up. Take it off, try the machine without it, clean it, lightly oil it, make it work by hand, smoothly, then replace it. Sounds like fun, wish I had it here :(

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am

I have never seen this box of tricks before, admittedly I'm not that into machines you have to plug in to play (my pinball is the exception).

What does it allow the player to do?
I've searched through all of the photos in OP's Flickr account and thoroughly enjoyed the Pole Dancing Club. Is there one in Bromsgrove?
As the wires from the steppa motor seem to go to a female socket, I'm puzzled as to what manages what it does?
Is there some kind of controller in the case?
Are there a set of contacts on the reels ?

Peering at it from every angle, I note there are three vertical fingers crudely tied together with bare wire that look as if they are controlled by it.
It can't force a mystery payout, as the fingers look intact and need to pass through the payout discs.
Does it hold the fingers back?

I agree with Coppin - take it off and see if the machine plays. I think it's stopping vertical fingers from withdrawing, thus locking up reel one and jamming the kicker.
As I originally said, I suspect that unit isn't behaving, but what does it do?

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Well I am a fan of keeping this item working with the electrics. I would guess these were conversions in the UK. You see, as Coppinpr says, similar schemes on other machines, e.g., Mills, Sega and Aristocrats. I think I have a few, but not like this.

Possible way this works is: This has two slides. I think the top slide is for the 2 coin one shilling payout and the bottom manages the front token tube payout for 5 shillings. These two fingers seem to be controlled by the said motor/gearing and, I suspect, stops the fingers going through all the discs, maybe the first two only (upper finger 5 and 6 from front to back). When the feature kicks in, it allows the finger to go through all three to payout on wins the other slide. I would have thought this should be plugged into the front door and/or top box to light up when the special feature kicks in, also into a transformer. The feature will run so many times before locking the fingers again. I of course maybe completely wrong. Aristomatic has a similar machine by the looks of it, perhaps he can confirm.

Question is, when operating, are all the upper fingers completely clear of the discs. If so, then, as Coppinpr says, it is probably just something like old hardened grease on the kicker. The mechanism is very clean, but you can see that dark old grease in places. We cannot see the kicker from the pictures. Also where does the wire go to, as we cannot see the empty cabinet?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:10 pm

I agree with keeping it as it is.
I'm suggesting removing it merely to see if the cycle kicks in without it, as I guess it's not doing it's job. If it cycles without the gizmo then there's your problem (sucks teeth, shakes head and tuts).

I know we haven't seen it up close and that I keep repeating myself, but the owner gave a big clue when he said ...
"it sounds as if it's spun the reels ........ reels 2 & 3 can be turned by hand but not reel 1".

So until new evidence, I still say ......
If the vertical fingers aren't completely withdrawn they will foul the payout disc of reel 1 which will remain locked, whilst the other two will be free to turn by hand.
We all seem agreed that the gizmo affects the vertical fingers, so to me there is a connection there worth checking. :!?!: