Twice in one night

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
hutto

Twice in one night

Post by hutto »

Having fed my Aristo with thousands upon thousands of sixpences dirtdog looking for that elusive jackpot, finally today, not once, but twice within two minuets, there it was !!YABBADABBA!! Is this a record? Will I be receiving a slotty Oscar in the post? !WORSHIPFULL!
jimmy55

Re: Twice in one night

Post by jimmy55 »

How much Hutto? Is it the same as a 'double rollover'? Spend it wisely! :lol:
hutto

Post by hutto »

Not sure how much, but half a Pot Noodle's worth each time !!THUMBSX2!! In my opinion, the best Valentine's night I have ever shown her !!LOVERS!! We know how to show um a good time up North @&@
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I think Valetine's night is the only night most would hit the jackpot twice ;-)
Last edited by treefrog on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hutto

Post by hutto »

Yes, not sure how long it will be before I hit the jackpot again !WORSHIPFULL!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

If it was Pot Noodles on Valentine's night ....probably a long time! :oops:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I asked her afterwards, "did the earth move for you?" She answered, "the bed didn't even move". Enough said :#:
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

hutto wrote:Having fed my Aristo with thousands upon thousands of sixpences dirtdog looking for that elusive jackpot, finally today, not once, but twice within two minuets there it was !!YABBADABBA!!
"Minuet" a slow & steady dance - to music at triple time.... !SMARTY!
You do treat 'em good up north kid, one arm 'round t'lass's waist and the other pulling yer Aristo behind her back..... !!ESCAPE!!
jimmy55 wrote:If it was Pot Noodles on Valentine's night ....probably a long time! :oops:
:lol: Exactly..
hutto

Post by hutto »

Nice one Andy, like that !!THUMBSX2!!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

If there is only one set of jackpot symbols, e.g. bars, the odds are normally 8000 to 1, 20 * 20 * 20.
If you have got them that close, I'd say you have Lady Luck on your side. Getting them back to back within two spins with a single symbol jackpot, the odds are huge.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

malcymal wrote:Getting them back to back within two spins with a single symbol jackpot, the odds are huge.
No, the ODDS are exactly the same; it's the PROBABILITIES that become huge - two different things in mathematics theory :didact:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Having fed my Aristo with thousands upon thousands of sixpences, looking for that elusive jackpot, finally today, not once, but twice within two minuets
Some months ago I started a thread about a Hi-Top I have that pays out ALL the time, yet it has pretty much a standard payout set-up.
It was sold to me with a full jackpot of 6d. When I got it home from collecting from the seller, I put a 6d in to see if the machine worked and up came the JP, first play. I should have known it was going to be a "loose slot" right from the start.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

malcymal wrote:If you have got them that close, I'd say you have Lady Luck on your side. Getting them back to back within two spins with a single symbol jackpot, the odds are huge.
I read hutto's post as within two minutes not two spins.
coppinpr wrote:No, the ODDS are exactly the same; it's the PROBABILITIES that become huge - two different things in mathematics theory :didact:
Absolutely spot on coppinpr, but is probability or likelihood actually tangible in this regard?
May seem a dumb question and I'm no mathematician but, actually, I think I've just answered my own question. :woops:
andydotp

PS. High Top still loose?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What are the chances of me owning The Coronet? I'll bet it's not probable due to the odds against. :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

andydotp wrote:but is probability or likelihood actually tangible in this regard?
Very much so, it's this kind of test that maths gurus use. The simplest is a dice throw. Every time you throw two dice and double six does not come up, the probabilities of it happening next time go up but the odds stay exactly the same. A fruit machine is also a perfect example.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Well,,,,erm,,, yes I suppose the probability does increase - simply because we're starting a new throw following a non double six and yep the odds are exactly the same I agree.
I think I'm grasping the mathematics here but my small brain is befuddled and being interrupted by the notion of probability, likelihood, and possibility.
I think I know what I mean but am not articulating it very well, sorry.
!PUZZLED!
:!?!: dotp
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The probability doesn't increase, nor do the odds. In this context, "probability", "odds", "likelihood", "possibility" and "chance" are synonymous. Odds are just a way of expressing probabilities as a ratio. (In other gambling/betting contexts, such as horse racing, odds don't represent the true chances that an event will occur, but the amounts that the bookmaker will pay out when it does.)
coppinpr wrote:Every time you throw two dice and double six does not come up, the probabilities of it happening next time go up...
If this was true, you could exploit it to your advantage - for example, only bet on the red after it has failed to come up ten times. This is known as the Gambler's fallacy.

The video below isn't very helpful on the subject, but it's Australian and features a bandit! It suggests, correctly, the fallacy stems from our tendency to find patterns where non exist. However, the misconception about probability which makes us think there should be a pattern, is discussed in this Poker Psychology article.
Essentially, there is no 'force of probability' which records past improbabilities and acts to correct them.

JC

Post by JC »

In the context of playing a bandit or throwing dice, probability can only be applied to a unique event, which as PM says, when expressed as a ratio, we call odds. The odds of the three reels of a bandit finishing in any given combination (say, the jackpot) are 8000:1. If the jackpot is won, on the next play the odds of the jackpot coming up are still 8000:1, because it is a unique event, and has no bearing on what has gone before.
If you were to toss a coin six times and on each occasion it lands heads, the probability that on the seventh toss it will land heads yet again is still 1:1, because each time the coin is tossed it is a unique event.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Thank you, thank you, thank you JC and Mr PM. **xXx**
That is precisely what I was attempting to argue. The throw of the die or the spin of the reels is a unique event so cannot be linked to a previous (or future) event.
Now we're all clear I suspect you'll be off to the land of nod. Sweet dreams.
Sunday roast lunch for me,,,, but chicken, lamb, pork or beef?
Guess the odds are about 4:1
Hope it's chicken.
hungrydotp
:byee:
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Flippin' beef again................ :-(
Chef! Chef! !PUNISH!