10p mechanical coin acceptor

General vintage slot machine related topics.
jonathans257

10p mechanical coin acceptor

Post by jonathans257 »

I am looking around for a coin acceptor to go in my 10p Cascade I am building from scratch. I have found a company near Broadstairs doing one for about 21 quid which I think I should be snapping the guy's arm off for. Does anyone know if this price can be beaten and any companies that supply mechanical coin acceptors with the face plate?
raj

Re: 10p mechanical coin acceptor

Post by raj »

This might do the job et 2 Euros + postage: Jofemar Coin acceptor mechanism

The Coin Control acceptors found in Ballys would also do the job. You might even get a free slot machine thrown in. They are currently worth approx zero for non workers. I had a load, but got rid a few years ago for a couple of quid each. Don't pay too much!
Attachments
$T2eC16RHJHgE9n0yFlKjBQhGQ-GHt!~~60_12.JPG
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I didn't think a Bell Fruit Cascade had a coin mech??? !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It does - and it tends to be quite fussy (maybe why they are removed on some home games).
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

As Benny Hill used to say....”Learning all the time” !WORSHIPFULL!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just to be picky, it's a coin "rejector" you're looking for, not an "acceptor". The compact little box found in the Ballys and all mechanical pinballs are coin rejectors and were pretty much all made by the same firm which I THINK was called ICR Ltd. which stands for "International Coin Rejectors Ltd". The company is, I think, still going, but is all electronic now. If you search the net even now for this type of unit, you will still find them listed as rejectors, so there!! :didact:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually, both terms have been used by the industry for many years, but if we really want to be pedantic, it's a 'slug rejector' or, more precisely, a 'coin validator'.
The one in the Cascade should be called a coin rejector, because that's mostly what it does!

Incidentally, I'm not aware of an "International Coin Rejectors Ltd". I think you meant NRI (formerly National Rejectors Inc.).
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

You're right! NRI, I couldnt quite remember it, so pleased you mentioned it. I knew I'd got it wrong.

I believe the reason they are usually called rejectors is because that is their default mode. They are designed so that if they break down, or can't decide, they default to rejecting the coin. I don't think I've ever known one that let bad coins through, but plenty that rejected good ones. :dammit:
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

Mmm... good response and helpful. I think I am going for the coin rejector theory. I know these devices are adjustable to reject on diameter and weight and some other mechanical devices have a magnet for rejecting ferrous content, and then there's the electronic type, but anything electric I'm not interested in... The search will continue.
raj

Post by raj »

Here are a couple of Coin Control acceptor/rejectors, whatever, that might do. There are various parts that can be adjusted or tweaked to suit, and the magnets can be cut off if required. 2 for £21 delivered is not bad & the seller will probably have a box load if you miss these.
x2 vintage mechanical coin mechanisms for an arcade machine
Attachments
$(KGrHqZHJEcFEihKVW0oBRJUQSY92Q~~60_12.JPG
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The two in Raj's photo are NRI ones, like the ones used in Bally machines (and most old pinballs). These are always coin specific, so make sure you get the coin size you want. The two in the photo are missing their retaining lugs, but that is not a big problem but looks like they are missing the outer case, which might be.
jonathans257

Post by jonathans257 »

Thanks everyone, I've had a look and saved the seller on ebay for further watching. I got chatting to a bloke in the pub who repairs modern machines and pool tables, pinball, etc. who's now on the look out for me. He works for a family run business which have been around for donkeys', so he might come up with something.