Parkers, Bryans 11s lookalike

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
daveslot

Parkers, Bryans 11s lookalike

Post by daveslot »

Just seen this on ebay, 290102805334, Parkers Eleven Win. The question is, which came first, Bryans or Parkers? Who copied who?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I too spotted this machine. Did you notice the ball gantry and shape of the chrome is almost identical to the Bryans Elevenses?
Bryans produced their machine from 1955. Parkers machine is listed in Paul Braithwaites book as 1960, but who knows?
Attachments
Parkers elevenwins.jpg
Parkers elevenwins.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 9101 times
jez 11`s.jpg
jez 11`s.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 9101 times
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

I would guess that Parkers simply used old Bryans parts, probably from recovered machines. An early form of recycling!

What would be the point of making that chrome surround exactly the same shape as a competitor's? It would have been just as easy to design your own shape.

Another possibility is that they actually bought the components in from Bryans. Such deals between competitors are more common than you might think.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Parkers were a large manufacturer. I can't see them recycling Bryans machines. If you look at the chrome surround it is different - there is no aperture for the Elevens sign. Also have you noticed the clown graphic, looking a bit like a Pilwin?
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Yup you are right. I seem to recall that William Bryan and crew were extremely protective of their hardware and I am sure wouldn't engage in selling parts for others to manufacture machines.
Ray

Re: parkers, bryans 11s lookalike

Post by Ray »

Just to clarify earlier statements regarding Parkers Eleven Wins allwin, I have spoken to Mr Brian Parker today and he assures me that all of his allwin type machines were assembled above their arcade at 36 West Parade Rhyl. All components being supplied by local firms. I am now the owner of the machine that appeared on Ebay.
Brian

Re: parkers, bryans 11s lookalike

Post by Brian »

Hi Ray Brian here in Chester.

Note you have contact with Brian Parker of Rhyl. Do you think it would be of value to interview the Parker family to record as much information for future nostalgia and history? I think a history of the company however brief would be invaluable.

Hope to meet up soon

brian
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hi Brian, in response to your question regarding Parker's history, the subject is briefly covered in Carters Arcade book, giving a brief coverage of the family history during their early arcade, manufacturing and operating years. Should anyone want any specific information, I would be willing to enquire on their behalf.