The Duomat/Duolett/Rondomat search continues!

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
perana5000

The Duomat/Duolett/Rondomat search continues!

Post by perana5000 »

Someone must have a nice one of these for sale, the less mucked about with the better, dont mind instructions transfered to English as long as its done well and the glass has not been butchered. In return I offer good money.
All the best to everyone
Mark. mrkosborne@yahoo.com
treefrog

Re: The Duomat/Duolett/Rondomat search continues! :)

Post by treefrog »

Well when I get around to restoring the one I bought at the Elephant auction today, I will let you know :lol: .....it was just the front, sides and the back all flat pack. The only missing wood being the rear top, which will be easy to make of cause not as seen or described in the advert, another good reason not to bid blind at auctions.....Having said all that I took a punt at it as it was an original 1D machine with english text and on getting it hope the thing appear to work !OMFG! (well not had it paying yet) at least looks all there...with a small bit of joinery for the missing wood, as the rest is solid, it will be a nice cheap machine for £70.....something to do while out of work...always fancied one, but they usually go for between £300 to £400...
Attachments
duo1.JPG
duo3.JPG
duo2.JPG
raj

Post by raj »

Mmm, one I walked away from I'm afraid, :!: which probably saved you a £twenty! Harold will be watching over you to make sure it is put back to its original condition !SAINT!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ahhh so I owe you a !!CHEERS!!

By the way, I was trying to work out who that new member was to the forum, especially with such a high number of posts in such a short time,,,finally worked it out....are you incognito? !SOFA!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Do you need parts? Is that the coin entry and gate lying loose on the back board? I have a wrecked one out back somewhere.
perana5000

Re: The Duomat/Duolett/Rondomat search continues!

Post by perana5000 »

It's slow progress in the search. :) But where there is life there is hope! :)
jingle

Post by jingle »

I think the last duo mat in decent condition made 580 ish
Bout a year ago
On eBay
Not at slot auctions tho
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think three to four hundred is below the going price personally.

It's true anything is only worth what someone is prepared to pay (as we keep saying) but there's also what it's worth to the owner. My Duomat is a belter. I had been aware of one that had been mechanically and case wise kept in fantastic order, however it had been allowed to tip on its face breaking the glass.
The owner was holding out hoping for a spare glass to crop up ...... !!HYSTERIA!!

By chance I came across one with a shot case and battered mech but intact glass. I bought it for £250.
The owner of the other one offered me £325 for the glass, I instead offered him £250 for his glassless machine.

This went on for months until he realised he wasn't going to find another glass and that repros look like repros due to the mirroring affect.
I bought his and married the two together.

So in total I paid £575 and still have the spare mech and dial graphics. Over the years I've been offered up to £650, but have never put it on the market.

Badpenny !!YIPPEE!!
jingle

Post by jingle »

so there we have it perana5000
mines not to dear after all at 450
but good luck searchin
there not that common
and very fancied beacuse there mechanical
especialy to arcade owners

jingle
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add to this one.

I've recently been helping a fellow collector iron out a gremlin or two in his machine caused by the dreaded metal moth that afflicts the Monkey Metal these machines are made with.

I know that some collectors are nervous about the fragility of this alloy, but I've never had any real issues with it.
What's more I've often expressed confidence in my ability to perform a repair if necessary due to the advances in modern adhesives and repair putties. So here was an opportunity to put my thumb where my mouth was.
The particular machine I was working on was damaged due to trauma as well as de-lamination of the castings, and took the repair very well. After a month of heavy play there is no evidence of movement within the repair.

The Duomat has always been a big favourite of mine and is a super game to play whilst the mechanism is a delight.
IMG_1138.JPG

The mechanism is not a standard Wulff and takes a bit of studying to understand and learn what to look for or work out what questions to ask a vendor. Also the veneers on the case are glorious
IMG_1139.JPG

After depositing the coin, you turn the handle as slowly and gently as you wish.
Both wheels leap into action and will spin for about 15 seconds (if the governor hasn't been wired closed, I always cut the wire if it's been fiddled with) With a gentle whirring and rumbling the top wheel gently stops with the big chromed arrow pointing to one of a choice of numbers. Soon afterwards the bottom wheel which is a roulette wheel complete with static ball attached stops. If the ball lands in the bottom segment then the machine pays out the amount the top wheel is pointing at.
However if it stops in either of the other two marked zones two coins are paid out. Otherwise you lose.

You will see from the next photo that the only recognisable parts from other GW machines are the clock (which are famous for their durability) and the payout slides and mechanism. Both of which are transferable from any cheapo Novomat type bandit.
IMG_1141.JPG

To ensure all is correct you really need to remove the mechanism from the case. Daunting if you don't know how. The coin acceptor and the starting handle stay in the case, but the handle is attached and needs its linkage errrr ...... unlinking.
Follow the metal rod, nearest you at the back down and you'll see it's attached to a crank by a tiny circlip which needs removing first.
IMG_1140.JPG

If you don't have a pair of circlip pliers then use a thin metal blade or an old school compass, making sure you get your left index finger behind the circlip. Don't worry about the fountain of bright red blood that shoots into your face as you'll be distracted by the flight of the circlip as it arcs its way into oblivion never to be seen again. Excellent!

Having detached the connecting rod between the mech and the handle assembly, now you need to undo the three butterfly bolts. One at the top in the middle and two either side of the frame casting about an inch from the bottom of the mechanism.
Can you see them all in the next photo? We know where they are don't we boys and girls?
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG (48.81 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

Now you can gently withdraw the mechanism taking care not to knock the case over (The glass front is irreplaceable) or catch the dangling rod you disconnected from the handle.
Placing it carefully on the dinning room table watch out that the spacer feet on the bottom don't snag your wife's best lace table cloth.
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG (48.19 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

A hint ......
Just like the GW Bandits the payout accuracy is dependent upon the freedom of the vertical rod that allows the correct number of slides to be released. Whilst in play that rod must be loose and free to move easily. However with a Duomat it's also essential that the curved arm which regulates that rod is very free in its bearing otherwise the payouts will be all to cock.
These photos show that curved arm from both sides.
From the back with the mech in situ
IMG_1142.JPG

From the other side with the mech out.
IMG_1145.JPG

Same view but showing how easily depressed the curved lever must be in order to not mess up the payouts.
IMG_1146.JPG

Everything else is a question of watching to see how the multitude of levers, axles and wheels with tyres work on this precision machine.

So there it is The Duomat. A real beauty, introduced I believe in 1956, built to last 3 years and after 57 years still delighting my tiny mind and defeating the doom sayers of pot metal castings.

BP
PS if anyone can post a picture of a cash box and dimensions it'd be great thanks
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Caught this thread and leapt to the man cave being sure I had a coinbox in mine, but, not for the first time, I was mistaken. The back section is surprisingly narrow at 2" and I don't have anything else near to compare. It was pleasing though to read the opinions on values as mine is on 1d and I only paid £200 for it 6 months ago. @&@
Attachments
2013-05-01-19.35.01.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Wow £200 is cheap and looks nice as well. I had to pay more than that for the rough one on the left. The right one is the same as at the beginning of this thread from the Elephant house, so major resto project.....

I have also posted a picture of the cash box which this had and, yes, it is narrow, similar to the NSM boxes. Nice write-up BP, have not spent a lot of time working these machine out yet, but have two to compare. My complete machine works, except it only pays 2 coins on all colours, including green, so I need to work out why the other payouts are not working... The cabinet needs tidying as well.... Still, lovely smooth mechanism....

Attachments
Ipswich-20130501-00178.jpg
Ipswich-20130501-00177.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nice machine the Duomat. As all the mech is hanging on the door, does this give hinge problems and subsequently cause the door to drop slightly, as can be the problem with the large R & W allwins?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No, because the "door" on these German machines is actually two thirds of the cabinet which fits snugly, tongue and groove-style, into the back.

If it's been converted to old penny, the cash box will either be missing or artfully butchered.
The dimensions are 26.3cm tall x 23.4cm wide x 7cm deep.
Attachments
duo-cashbox.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well you have got me hooked into looking at my machines now and working out how they operate. My Scottish barn pile needs a total strip down as old grease and grime has slowed the mechanism to a snail, so for another day, but is complete. The complete one with the occasional payout issue I believe is suffering from a timing problem. Obviously the clock is in control of this, but my machine releases the slide retainer sometimes too early, which means the slide retaining pin cannot move when a win occurs. There is one part on the arm that holds back the slides made of steel and angled that releases the arm on a pinion. I am guessing due to the softer metal and hard metal over time the pinion wears and as such the arm is released too guess. See picture below. I am suppose either to adjust this steel plate slightly higher or find another way in adjusting the timing. The other machine also has similar wear. Of course it maybe this plate was replaced when wear occurred, not clear on this, so will try plate adjustment first....
Intriguing mechanisms though and you do wonder who actually designed these things
Attachments
Ipswich-20130502-00179.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi TF .........

I'm delighted we are raising a bit of interest in this overlooked classic.
Even Mr Bryan himself once declared to one of our very own how impressive The Duomat was You Know Who You Are (unless I am misquoting you, it was an early morning and we'd both just driven some distance in the Winter).

Regarding your observations TF.
They all have that plate and it reacts against a brass block. I've never had to reposition one.
If you want to speed up the win selector or slow down the slide release ..........
IMG_1149.JPG

That one lengthens or shortens the slide release, and this one the payouts....
IMG_1150.JPG

Follow the action of the arm attached to the clock and you'll see that it does trip a lever at the end of its cycle that lifts the slides release.

Regarding not getting a higher payout than 2 coins.
Assuming the slides haven't been butchered and the regulating rod pictured above hasn't been adjusted so as not to lift further than the bottom slide then check a bridge has not been placed across the gap the payout feeler drops into.
This is the same sort of thing we commonly find in GW bandits.

Here you can see behind the roulette wheel there is profile wheel that is attached to the rods that the brake wheel rumbles over to stop the wheel. On the profile wheel you'll see the deep slot the payout feeler drops into, further down is a much shallower one that allows the 2 coin payout to be chosen. Check the deeper one for any added bridge.
IMG_1151.JPG

Best of luck.

Thanks Mr P for the dimensions I'll pop straight down to Tesco in the morning, they claim to sell everything one needs.

BP
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Anyone know which came first the Duomat or Duolett? :!?!:
Looks like this one has a Nostalgic machine as stable mate.
Attachments
duolett-02.jpg
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

duomat 1956
duolett 1958

quick reference point for all things German is http://www.automatix-club.de/

manufacturers, dates, pictures, etc and random info on some like the duolett appears only to have 2748 made

as they say in Southern Germany - auf weidersehen y'all
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Lovely looking machine. !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

There is of course the Rondomat as well, made in 1960...The main differences between the Duomat and the other two is the restart button for the main reel. I am sure the Duomat is more common here as a few have been for sale recently, e.g. in the Market, Coventry and Elephant....I seem to have a acquired a few, only three working though as below