Revamped Beromat-type bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Re: Revamped Beromat-type Bandits

Post by coppinpr »

Can anyone sell me a payout slide (1d size) for my Beromat mech shown a few posts above? Also anyone know how I adjust the bottom payout slide so that it retreats a little further as you pull the handle? Mine does not quite go far enough back for the down rod to drop in place to take the pressure off the payout release rod so it can pull back if there is a winner.

Out of interest, I found these interesting photos of a party at R&W in the 50s to launch a new jukebox:
http://www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk/blog/ ... mment-1623
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm apologising in advance for the two very unhelpful and confusing comments I'm now giving.

I have boxes of spare slides ............. in Coventry ........ I'm in Derby and don't know when I'm next there. If you don't get what you need pm me.

Remove the mech. and follow the linkage that pulls them back into place you'll see that it is driven by the main axle and the collar that attaches it can be slackened off and moved to make it travel a bit further. The securing nut is accessed from the back of the machine.
Attachments
GW Adjustment 2.jpg
GW adjustment.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I did find that part but can't seem to move it when the bolt is released. Do you need to remove the pin (collet?) that also goes through the part, as seen in your photo? If so: how? I don't know, thanks Paul....
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

DOHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!........... Didn't see that. Although I've noticed that they don't all have those pins (that's my excuse)

Now I remember falling fowl of this problem before. I tried to knock the pin through and was in danger of smashing the monkey metal (not good) I turned to bodge-ometry a skill I learnt as a youngster in the back room of my uncle's arcade in Paignton.

So unless anyone else can come up with a better idea ........... I'll PM you with how I got around it.

Badpenny
raj

Post by raj »

if a light tap produces no result, I would drill out using 2 or 3 different sized bits. The pin is probably fused into the shaft & the shock of hitting it will almost certainly cause cracks & failure in the casting when any load is put on it.
There are loads of nasty rotten machines kicking about, so it might be possible to source a spare part if critical damage occurs, or use epoxy putty to repair
cleantex

Post by cleantex »

You will not arrive to drill them out, it is very hard steel and very soft surroundance. And sure, after more than 50 years they stick well !PUZZLED! I always put some WD40 debloc oil overnight and yes, they need a lot off hard knocks. I use 2mm or 3mm pins to drive out. Sometimes even there are 2 ! in each other. It is also very important to look from what side they were pushed in, important to drive them back the opposite way. When it becomes really too much hard, I use heat from electric blower pistol. In general, this resolves the problem very quick.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Another Beromat British variant, not one I have seen before....and not the most attractive, the Sterling....

What is interesting is it says Kraft Sterling on the top, I wonder if this is the same Allwin Kraft !PUZZLED!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120773173127? ... 1423.l2648
Attachments
sterling.jpg
treefrog

Is this bandit English?

Post by treefrog »

Topic moved & merged - site admin.

To most probably pretty dull, but I have always liked some of the English 50s/60s creations based on German or American mechanisms....This machine on US fleabay, to me looks very English and based on an old penny coinage with the 12 coin payout... Very similar to the Beromat versions made by the likes of Vale, but with a traditional bandit mech inside (although this mechanism does not look like a Mills or Sega). On the front there appears to be a WA motif. The seller states the top "Jaguar" box is not genuine, but based on other similar machines, probably is. Quite like this variation, shame it is not on the UK ebay. :(

item 27c2fcbb99
Attachments
wa.jpg
raj

Re: Is this bandit English?

Post by raj »

The handle looks Jennings & the arrows on the payout window interior look Sega, but the payout tray looks a bit Aristo , so the odds are it is a UK pastiche, particularly if it is on old penny. The chrome stars appear on a number of German revamps, also the Yanks have better bits to play with so probably would not go to the trouble of producing such a strange, but interesting slot. !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Three more - Another Sterling, a King Kong (both from the Bottom of the Slots thread) and Las Vegas.
Attachments
$(KGrHqN,!iMF!zFerdI1BQcIGoBDWg~~60_12.JPG
king-kong.jpg
$T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbUMzBRKTd63Ecg~~60_12.JPG
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I came across a Las Vegas, last picture, exactly the same colour, perhaps same machine, at the Brighton jukebox fair. It was selling for £170. It's a bit of an oddity, because it looks like a Beromat mech but it has 20 stop reels, not 10. Puzzling.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

A picture of the "Roma" mentioned earlier in this thread.
Attachments
roma.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

This is my Roma after it was rewired and got lights working. I suspect the one you have just posted has had its converted fruit reel strips removed. On mine, I can see the original number strips under the fruit strips. Is that a photo of your machine? You can get replacement fruit strips for this (there is a seller on ebay who offers these and very good they are too) and I could copy my award card for you!
Attachments
romalights.jpg
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

There is a Las Vegas on ebay:

1950s beromat armed bandit
;.jpg

Ending soon...
banditboy

"King" Machine

Post by banditboy »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Morning all,
Before I go to relax in the back garden for the day !!THUMBSX2!! , I just wondered if anyone had come across one of these before. Apparently it has a plastic front?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-King- ... 1c327e32bc.
Attachments
king.JPG
treefrog

Re: "King" Machine

Post by treefrog »

Another one of the Gunter Wulf/Beromat type conversions. Not very rare, but what is rare is to get one with a non broken case, as most seem to have. Not my appeal, they look a bit cheap, but should not be expensive... Seen them in Red, Yellow and Blue, but there may have been other colours.
Attachments
king1.jpg
king1.jpg (11.43 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm sure I've got one of those.

As TF says yet another GW revamp.
I remember a row of about a dozen of them on Paignton Pier when I was about young.

Mine is blue I'm sure, I ought to dig it out ...... when I recall from where.

BP
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

I had a yellow one and yes, the case had suffered some damage, just like the one currently on ebay. Robust in every mechanical sense as you expect from beromat derivative but the cases are very brittle.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I quite like these as one of the better German revamps. They actually look better in the flesh (or I should say, plastic) than in photos. Quite short and dumpy but, as everyone says, always damaged.
the cases are very brittle
Matches the pot metal mech then :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The case on mine was intact when I stored it somewhere safe.