Buckley Jewel Box Digger restoration

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gamblingman

Buckley Jewel Box Digger restoration

Post by gamblingman »

I recently found a Buckley Table-Top Jewel Box Digger while purchasing some slots from an estate. It is in pretty rough shape, but mostly all there, and it is going to be a fun restoration project. One thing I am missing is the front prize door, so if anyone has any old Buckley parts out there, please email * address removed - Site Admin. I can have a local company do a re-cast, but I thought I would see if I can find the part first, and yes, I've already tried James Roller......he was a bucket-full of information and restoration tips, but he does not have an extra door. I will post pictures of the restoration as it progresses this summer. I have a few slots to finish first!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Buckley Jewel Box Digger

Post by pennymachines »

Hi gamblingman and welcome to the site.
I've removed your email address, otherwise you will be spammed! Members can contact you via the PM or Forum email system without compromising your account.

I really like countertop diggers and the Buckley Table-Top Jewel Box Digger is one of the few electric versions. Is it just the prize door missing or the whole front casting? You could place a wanted advert in the Market, but I have to admit, the chances of finding one are slim. I've only seen a few Jewel Box Diggers in the UK.
gamblingman

Post by gamblingman »

Thanks for looking out for me on the e-mail. Yes, the door is the only thing missing...the casting is good, and the rest of the parts are there.......they may be covered with 45 coats of paint, but they are all there. I know finding a Jewel Box door is going to be a life-long journey, but I thought I would throw it out there, in case anyone knew of anyone that knew of anyone. I would take any Buckley door that is available....as something is better than nothing, and only the designs were different. If I can find a good door somewhere, I can get a rubbbing of the Jewel box door, and between the two I can get a re-cast made that will look original.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Gamblingman :D
You could always try Jim Roller; he was very helpful when I was restoring my Jewel box digger, and mine was in a very sad state :oops:
https://www.jamesroller.com/vintage/
If he can't help you I will be very surprised. Let us know how you get on. !THUMBS!
Attachments
jewelbox.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

gamblingman wrote:I've already tried James Roller......he was a bucket-full of information and restoration tips, but he does not have an extra door
Come on Stuart - keep up! :didact:
Nice Jewel Box BTW. :D
gamblingman

Post by gamblingman »

Wow that is gorgeous! Is there any chance I can get some detailed pics from you all of the way around? I have a few questions about window trim, etc. I would especially be interested in detailed pics of the door. I may have to create one and have a casting made if all else fails. I hope the wood on mine is as good under the 50 layers of paint........I know there were some holes drilled into the case and it is going to be a challenge to fix them correctly.

Thanks for the pic, and like I said, I would love to see any others you could provide.......After looking at it a little longer, did you re-make the cabinet?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

pennymachines wrote:Come on Stuart - keep up! :didact:
Sorry Dave...... You know I can't read !!ESCAPE!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Gamblingman, sounds like you might need to invest in some of this product or the like, Click here for link
Edited to add external link BP
I've had huge success with it copying some very important parts as no shrinkage in the mold. And especially when I was just visiting fellow collectors with similiar machines, I could quickly mold this stuff together (1 min) and form it over the part while still in situ on the machine (3 mins). Wait about 10 mins and then off comes a superb silicon rubber mold to use later. And not even any mold release needed unless it's a very fragile surface, then I cover with something like clingwrap first. You could prob even send some to an owner of a Jewel Box and ask them to mold it for you. Good luck.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

The makeup of the door is quite complex, it is not just a flat plate, it has a small bracket on the right hand side to which an extension arm is fixed. This extension arm trips an anti-pilfering device when the door is opened and also makes up part of the hinge assembly. I have done a quick drawing and taken some photos that may be of help to you. !!PHOTO!!
You could try asking at Leerock Foundry. They might be able to help you with the parts. :!?!:

edited to provide link BP
You are welcome to come and have a look if you need to? :tarah:
Attachments
f closed.jpg
f open.jpg
s closed.jpg
s open.jpg
hinge pin.JPG
h1.jpg
gamblingman

Post by gamblingman »

Great pictures, thanks so much for posting them. Jim did send me pics of a Treasure Chest door, so I know the lever, etc. I will check the foundary, thanks for sending the link. It will likely be a longshot, but worth a call. I have found a couple of people that own Jewel Box Diggers, and in looking at their pics, I don't think either of them have the correct door as yours does. I know it is a real pain to get the door out, so I am not going to ask you to make a mold, but if you ever have to take her apart for any reason, I will gladly pay for the materials and pay you well for your time. Your pictures will help a lot..... if I can't find a Jewel box door, I might be able to find a regular Buckley door to cast from, and I am betting I can get close to re-creating what you have. I have a friend who is an absolute whiz on metal work... but nothing beats the original.

Again, thanks for all of your help... you have inspired me! lol
gamblingman

Post by gamblingman »

By the way... I would love to come over and take a look at it.... but the drive is just a bit too far and I think I might get wet in the process!
Gameswat wrote:Gamblingman, sounds like you might need to invest in some of this product or the like, Click here for link
That looks like some great stuff!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

gamblingman wrote:By the way... I would love to come over and take a look at it.... but the drive is just a bit too far and I think I might get wet in the process!
Well this is what happens when you go living in a foreign country /\UK/\ .......... !SOFA!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Stuart. I see your machines are begining to fill the lounge, how do you manage to persuade Mrs Stuart to let you? !PUZZLED!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I keep moving them around, !!JUGGLE!!
that way she never quite knows how many I have got. !SMARTY!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

A lovely digger Stuart and beautifully restored, well done **xXx**
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Gameswat wrote:Gamblingman, sounds like you might need to invest in some of this product or the like, Click here for link
Edited to add external link BP
I've had huge success with it copying some very important parts as no shrinkage in the mold. And especially when I was just visiting fellow collectors with similiar machines, I could quickly mold this stuff together (1 min) and form it over the part while still in situ on the machine (3 mins). Wait about 10 mins and then off comes a superb silicon rubber mold to use later. And not even any mold release needed unless it's a very fragile surface, then I cover with something like clingwrap first. You could prob even send some to an owner of a Jewel Box and ask them to mold it for you. Good luck.

Gameswat ....

I've been thinking about this stuff Amazing Mold Putty that you introduced to us.
I note it only takes heat up to about 200 C.
What do you use to cast the item in? I can't find anything that melts at low enough a temperature.

BP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

BP, I've only cold poured using these molds, usually to make resin or plaster patterns for my foundry to sand cast from. Preferably something that doesn't shrink much, though I always oversize the patterns by 7% to 10% with car filler putty or card glued on the edges to account for the metal casting shrinkage anyway. Can't tell you how many rare and valuable early machines I've seen in the states with sloppy fitting cashbox doors and trims etc! I've also re-made automaton heads straight from this silicon molding putty too.
gamblingman

Post by gamblingman »

Since you brought it up.....I am getting ready to send the buckley door pattern I made off to be casted. The guy at the foundary told me 3/16" shrinkage for every foot of material. Since this door is a little over 5 inches, I left a generous 1/8" on the inside lip all the way around.....but what you are implying is that the shrinkage is much more. You would be talking at least 3/4" per foot.....is that what you have been experiencing? Just curious as this is the first project I have sent to be casted.....It took a lot of hours, but I managed to make a dead ringer for that Jewel Box door, and I don't want it to come back unworkable.
:shock:
Thanks
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Well done on getting the pattern sorted, do you have a photo of the pattern, I would love to see it :D
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jewel Box Pattern

I've not put it in Resources, not likely to be needed much unless someone needs a pair, or there's a run in them.