Vintage Coin-Op Collectors' Spring Show and Auction

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
JC

Vintage Coin-Op Collectors' Spring Show and Auction

Post by JC »

We're now taking entries for the auction on 22nd April.
Subscribers to the magazine received an entry form with their March issues last Friday. I've already had several returned, and an interesting and varied selection of machines have been pledged at this early stage. Anyone who requires an entry form can email me through this site and I'll email a form by return. All entries must be received by 1st April.
JC

Re: Vintage Coin-Op Collectors' Spring Show and Auction

Post by JC »

The entry forms have been coming in daily, and we now have a great range of lots entered for the auction. Everything is well represented: bandits; early pinballs; trade stimulators; electro-mechanical wall machines, plus a good selection of books, paperwork and spares, and miscellaneous related items. However, we are surprisingly low on allwins - yes allwins! So if anyone has allwins or anything else to enter, please do so ASAP, entry forms must be received by Sunday 1st April. If you do not have an entry form, please email me through this site.

See you on 22nd April

Jerry :D
JC

Post by JC »

Around 200 lots have been consigned, and I should like to thank all those who have shown support by entering lots, and to those who have already reserved a catalogue.
There are some really great machines on offer this time, and although I previously remarked that we were short of allwins there are now just about the right number on offer, including: the usual selection of Ollie Whales, plus a rare Victory Ball; a lovely BMCo; a couple of Wonders; a good selection of older allwins, including a nice reserve ball on half penny play.
A good selection of banits have been entered, which include: Mills Extraordinary; Mills Roman Head; Mills Hi-Tops; Various Segas; Jennings Governor; Jennings Little Duke, plus Aristocrat, Bally and various German machines.
Bryans machines are not quite as well represented as they were at Coventry, but do include: Pilwin; Elevenses; Payramid; Clock.
Other machines include: Caillie Commercial; a really nice Circle Skill; various electro-mechs; a number of early mechanical pinballs; some really interesting venders; fortune tellers; 2 Mutoscopes etc etc.

This time we have an interesting selection of fairground art and memorabilia, including some ex Carters' steam fair items.
There are some very interesting spares on offer, plus a good selection of books and paperwork etc.

So, there really should be something for everyone here. Catalogues will be available in the MARKET on this site, so order yours as soon as possible.
This should be a great day for us all - and remember, this is OUR day. Don't miss out.

See you on the 22nd.

Jerry :D
porf

Post by porf »

Hi,

Can someone post the time of the auction please?

Haven't got a catalogue, yet hope to attend and can't find this info.

Cheers

Paul.
JC

Post by JC »

Hello Porf

The event starts at 10.30 for viewing, plus there will be various items for sale by trade and private sellers. The auction starts at 12.30

See you tomorrow.

Jerry
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Spring Auction 2007

Thank you everybody for your support, I shall wear it always!
Especially if I'm to be hoisting bandits around at the next auction.
There was only one machine that nearly escaped my grasp, an allwin whose door swung open as I lifted it, bending my finger to a very curious angle. Today that hand resembles a a bunch of bananas in shape size and colour. A very loud cry of concern echoed around the room until everyone realised that the machine was safe!
I'll leave Jerry to express his own memories of yesterday, but from my point of view the job was a good 'un, I'm sure far from perfect, but as a friend of mine likes to say............
"History only lists one perfect person ......... and we crucified him!"

However don't hesitate to log into this site to tell us your views and your suggestions for the future, we really do take note.

I for one want to comment on something I heard from a few, but only know half the story, so enquiries will be made.
To whit ......... I was told by a vendor that two of their lots, which happened to be stars of the auction had'nt been loaded as there wasn't room in their vehicle. Very disappointing, not only had a lot of buyers expressed interest in these lots, even I had a wedge in my own pocket in case they were within my reach.
Still if that's what happened then there's always another auction another day.
BUT!!!!!!! If the version I then heard that the two machines concerned had arrived, but fell victim to the journey from the car park into the hall, then I for one am far from impressed.
Doing deals in the car park has always happened but does not make it any more acceptable. It's an insult to everybody.
Yesterday's auction cost the organisers a four figure sum: -
Venue
Printing
Advertising
Phone and other Administration charges
........... none of which come cheap, believe me, and they have to be paid in advance.

Plus none of that takes into account the amount of late nights spent tying up loose ends.
To summarise, anyone who is content to take advantage of my mate's hard work and committment then lie to save themself 5% has a lot of explaining to do in order to convince me they should be welcome at the next auction.

However, The venue was superb the refreshments spot on! The company, most pleasant. I enjoyed portering for two reasons.
It enabled me to bid on a few things, I learnt from the last one that when you're doing the shout up front it becomes a blur and you don't even recognise the lots you were interested in, ask Jerry what he bid on yesterday ....... NOWT! The other thing was it let me get amongst everybody and have a bit of banter. The comment of the day for me was: -
JC - Lot number xxxx a lovely machine probably from the 1930's
Voice to my left - Yeah, including the woodworm!"

The lots on offer were most varied and the atmosphere great. A summary will appear in due course.
I think we were slicker at paying in and out, but of course you have the final word on that.
Thanks for being there see you at the next one ...............

Badpenny & Doff :D
JC

Post by JC »

Well, now that the dust has settled and I've almost regained my sanity and voice (although not necessarily in that order), I thought I should express my views on the event.
To be honest, there's not much to add to Badpenny's post above. We said Coventry was something on which to build, and I think we have. There are still improvements to be made and glitches to overcome, but the consensus seems to be: 'Great show'.
But these events can only succeed with all of your support, and it really was great to see the enthusiasm and genuine desire to 'be part of it' from vendors and buyers alike. Many thanks to you all.

Sadly, (for Badpenny and I in particular) the day was marred by the incident Badpenny mentioned above. I shall not expand on what has already been said, as I am hoping to come to some arrangement with the vendor concerned. However, if I am unsuccessful in my attempts to resolve the issue (which is quite likely), then I shall name and shame, in one way or another. Badpenny and I will not tolerate spending unreasonable time and money organising events for little financial reward, just to have dishonest, dishonourable people take the p***.

Anyway, to the rest of you - thanks for your support. We hope you all enjoyed the day.

Jerry
Last edited by JC on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well done Jerry and Badpenny for organising what must have been quite a logistics exercise. There are many of us out here that appreciate such dedication and if it were not for just a few keen enthusiastic people the slot community would not be.

I enjoyed my visit to Sarratt on that warm sunny day although only came away with a few Bryans spares ! (wife was relieved though).

I am sure that the overwhelming number of collectors and enthusiasts value the ongoing efforts that are being made by a few people in continuing to promote this hobby of ours.

Arrgee
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Great thanks, look forward to that - save my pennies up !!