Bryans 1936 All Square crane

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
john t peterson
Reactions score: 7

Bryans 1936 All Square crane

Post by john t peterson »

This is absolutely killing me.

1936 All Square Crane

If this sells for the ridiculously low opening offer, I will not be able to forgive myself. Why not bid? Did I mention I'm moving? And I already have a ton of British treasure to transport eleven hundred miles, to say nothing about incurring the wrath of Dearly Beloved. Still....

J Peterson
American Weenie
Attachments
$T2eC16hHJGEFFm6Kuo1eBRlIfbz(E!~~60_32.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator
Reactions score: 30

Re: Killing me.

Post by badpenny »

John............... I've given your quandary sufficient regard and advise accordingly.

Regardless of whether it goes for the opening bid or even 6 times that amount it is not possible to excuse you from participating in this auction.
I am not convinced that the fact you are moving or the complications involved in the logistics of that relocation are genuine concerns.
Anyway I have a long wheel base Fiat van if it's any use?

I believe the issue for you is really inner torment over the thought of confrontation with your child bride.
You require practice in the art of changing the conversation.
Picture the situation the moment she first scrapes her shin on it.
"So I was in The Shopping Mall when.... ouch! ..... what the dickens is this? When did you buy ...... thought we decided no more......"
Help is here JTP
Stand in front of a mirror and try saying .....

"That reminds me of something funny my car said yesterday..."
"I'm thinking of chopping down the trees inside our snowglobe."
"Whoa! We're losing perspective here, you're forgetting there are more chickens than people in the world"

Or ...
Ask to borrow her chapstick, swallow it, go straight to the hospital.
Make a gesture towards a hug with her, then pick her up, fireman's-carry her to a lake and drop her in it., then blame me.

I'm sure others on the forum can suggest what's worked best for them.
Let us know how much you get it for.

BP
coppinpr
Reactions score: 28

Post by coppinpr »

You just say "I bought this for you "

beware of getting it wrong and saying " I saw this and it reminded me of you so I bought it" in this particular case that would not be good
john t peterson
Reactions score: 7

Post by john t peterson »

Well, the auction is over and I did not get the Bryans All Square. I fully intended to ignore the auction, convinced that one more lovely but fragile British orphan might be one too many. Then the advice came. Bob Klepner, Dean of Australian coin-op left no room for argument:
"Hi John
You’ve got to go for that crane. It could be the bargain of the year. It’s a fabulous mechanism.
Cheers,
Bob"
Other kind friends weighed in. The results were the same. I could not pass up this opportunity.

The auction closed at 2:33 AM Minnesota time. I set my alarm clock for 2:20 AM and stumbled out of bed. The opening bid of $399 was still the only bid. Goodness, what was wrong with the American collectors? Did they not recognize a jewel when they saw it? The $399 was still top bid with only three minutes to go. I had my number in the "bid" box, waiting for the final moments. I don't bid before about three seconds remaining. The tactical reason is obvious. The practical reason is that I don't want to fall prey to the temptation to continue raising my bid out of irrational exuberance, falsely believing that just one more dollar is going to win the love of my life.

At three minutes to go, the price jumped to $501.48. Good. My intended bid was three numbers. Still room for the hometown boy to win. My finger hovered over the "enter" button, ready to pounce. With less than ten seconds remaining, the price leapt to over one thousand dollars, finally settling at $1,333. I was both elated and dismayed. I did not get to bid but the old girl had some legs on her after all.

And so it goes. I'm off to the hospital later today, surgery scheduled to remove the Chap Stick from my stomach. Doctor says I should be right as rain in a month or two. For future reference BP, please be more explicit. The Chap Stick is for AFTER winning the auction.

J Peterson
Sleepless in America
badpenny
Forum Moderator
Reactions score: 30

Post by badpenny »

There's only one reason I intentionally animate myself in order to promenade around the house at stupid o'clock in the morning.
Billy Connolly once said that when you reach 50 you should never pass up the opportunity for a pee, and never trust a fart.

It's free sniper tools for me now !SHSSS!

Still it's obviously gone to someone who appreciates its pedigree.

I hope your local hospital is more up to date than the dentist I avoided a few years ago. It had a brass sign on the door that said ...
Whitchurch Dental Surgery
Access Via Back Passage

A bit radical I thought.

BP
gameswat
Reactions score: 21

Post by gameswat »

I have to say I hate this cabinet style, my least favourite crane of all time! But they do have a killer all mechanical mech.
treefrog
Reactions score: 48

Post by treefrog »

Not a crane man myself, but I love this design - so different to the usual box with fancy metalwork of all the others.... looks like it has tightened its belt :woops: