Wall mounting slot machines

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
treefrog

Wall mounting slot machines

Post by treefrog »

I have many wall machines, allwins, German bandits and electro-mechanical hazards, but have yet to get around to displaying them.... First batch up, a trio of mystery allwin type machines, more to follow as I paint the walls.
Attachments
Ipswich-20130527-00221.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Wall machines where they should be

Post by coppinpr »

Very very nice indeed. !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done TF; nice job. **xXx**
urbanbody

Post by urbanbody »

!!THUMBSX2!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nice........................ :cool:

Original sign treefrog, or have you had it painted?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Funny thing is now they are on the wall, I keep going back to play them (which I never did stacked in a pile).... I am planning to restrict the number I have. Well of course this is limited by wall space space, but also I do not want to jam every inch... The sign was bought on ebay earlier in the year and is really good quality modern work, done about 5 years ago I believe. The seller sold two signs he had done in February and previously sold some 5 years ago on ebay. I believe JC has bought from him and may have one in his arcade. Wish now I had bought both the signs he put up in February... Looks the part though.
jingle

Post by jingle »

!!THUMBSX2!! Nice one tree la
There was a really nice 30 s sign
On eBay last week
Sold 200 wish I would of watched it
If buyer wants to sell pm me
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Lovely looking machines. Did you restore the machines or is that how they came?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Would love to have said what great skills I have, but no, bought in good condition, just polished/waxed etc... Although I had to do electrical remedial work on the Cyclone... I play these more than I do the two Wonders on the opposite wall...
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Wall machines really look so good on a wall. Even better, if they're lit up as well. !!THUMBSX2!!

The plywood back of a wall machine is designed to support its full weight. I'm told plywood was also chosen as a sacrificial material. Woodworm makes its presence known here before having much impact on the hardwood cabinet. On the other hand, maybe it just attracts the worm. !PUZZLED! Anyway, if your machine falls off the wall, it's probably time to get some worm killer. !OMFG!

Four (ideally Spax) screws into (ideally Fischer) wall plugs through your (ideally brick) wall should support the heaviest wall machine. One way to support a counter-top machine, without building a visible shelf, is to fix a piece of angle iron to the wall and the base of the machine, so it's hidden behind and beneath. Anyway, what do I know - I live in a glass house and I don't stow thrones. :clown:

Has anyone fixed a heavy machine (thinking Conveyor, Challenger, Trickler) to a modern plasterboard wall?
And what about more sophisticated, flexible fixings that allow you to rearrange your collection at will?
treefrog wrote:I am planning to restrict the number I have
!!HYSTERIA!!
I remember saying that once.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

So what you're telling us then is you're not a fan of Blu Tak and Sellotape?

How are your shares in Spax and Fischer doing Mr P? I remember you cancelled our last PM Administrators Team Meeting as it clashed with their Share Holders' get together.

As for a system that allows you to rearrange your collection at will........
How's about reinventing the wheel and doing what the Fairground arcades did?

You can buy lengths of mild steel bar from B&Q which if you bolt to your wall with a small suspension pylon behind to keep it about three quarters of an inch proud of the wall. You can then attach flat bar hooks on the backs of your machines and slot them on ...off ... move them.
Attachments
back-fixing.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Badpenny wrote:You can then attach flat bar hooks on the backs of your machines and slot them on ...off ... move them
So can the bad boys should they gain access !! as I know to my cost !PUNISH!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Not wanting to make light of your awful experience and sincerely wishing nobody else falls foul of such scum .......

My old dad used to say if they're gonna have your stuff then they'll find a way.
Deter the opportunists he told me, those that target you because they know what you have are a different problem.
He also preached you should make it bloody hard for them to get inside but after that you don't lock internal doors, drawers or cupboards as they'll just destroy in order to find out what you're hiding.

After my narrow boat was broken into the last time I now leave it unlocked. It's been visited another twice since then but no damage and of course nothing gone as I don't leave anything of value on board.

After my van was broken into last Halloween I have rethought any future actions should it happen again. No details here though, but it won't resemble my previous actions.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Badpenny wrote:After my van was broken into last Halloween I have rethought any future actions should it happen again. No details here though, but it won't resemble my previous actions
Oh come on BP, tell us how you manage to discretely connect 240V to the door handle. :zapa:
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

A less discerning class of thieving b.... in sunny Blackpool. A couple of weeks ago they smashed the window to an empty shop I have a few machines in, pulled the blinds to one side took one look at the contents and left them alone. How bizarre that I somehow feel the victor, rather than a victim. Mind you I still have a trip wire and a crossbow in mind for any future incursions.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Mmmm, Shelf's, yes I did consider just screwing machines to the wall as, yes, they are designed to support the weight, but one I do not trust my walls and secondly, when you have paid good money I do not want to put my trust to the adventures of a worm... Also these Mystery Allwins weigh a ton, especially the Cyclone... I had also thought of the security side when this had been mentioned before... I bet if I went to a lot of arcades, machines are sitting on shelves, e.g. Jingle's new place, Merivale and JC's place all use shelves... Belt and Braces is best...

The other thong I have always wondered, is when the bar method was used, would an allwin not be sitting straight, as such affect play? !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Belts, braces and thongs eh Tom? !!THUMBSX2!!
highfield

Post by highfield »

Great display treefrog !

Did you make the support brackets or did you buy them off shelf somewhere. They look a better option than making a shelf as I was planning to do.

John
**xXx** **xXx**
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Bought from Wickes, very cheap pine shelves. I think about £3.50 each and cut to shape of machine and stain/waxed to tone down... These packs come with everything to mount, so good value... Originally I was going to go for a long shelf, but thought it would look worse in a bedroom.
highfield

Post by highfield »

Thanks treefrog - will take a look in Wickes.

John
!!RAYOF!!