Interesting items in upcoming auction...

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
youngerap

Interesting items in upcoming auction...

Post by youngerap »

I noticed the following items for sale by auction in early September.

Links deleted (Stable door, horse and bolted come to mind, but better late than never).

It looks like both might have bits missing.
Last edited by youngerap on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
slotalot

Re: Interesting items in upcoming auction....

Post by slotalot »

I like their Estimates: £100 - £150 @&@ put me down for a dozen of each !!!.. !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ooooh dear Youngerap,,,,,you have let the cat out of the bag, as I am sure although half of us have seen these, we all hope we are the only ones that have

Well now you have below are three in this auction and I would love the Billiards. The Mutoscope Electric Crane looks all there comparing to other pictures of these...No idea who the early American floor standing machine "Greyhound Racer" is made by, Caille or Mills maybe, but wonder if this was converted for the british market as I am sure it says 1D in the picture and the coin entry is large..seems to be missing the handle though. And lastly the Handan No Billiards, wow that looks good and no reference of this in Paul Braithwaites book, so maybe pretty rare....

Well see you all there on the 3rd, got me readies ready !THUMBS!
Attachments
lot-billiards.jpg
lot-greyhound.jpg
lot-crane.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

No idea who the early American floor standing machine "Greyhound Racer" is made by, Caille or Mills maybe.......
Caille produced a number of different 'Big Six' machines. Wouldn't bother me much who made it for £100 - £150.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Damn and blast I was already writing my success story at acquiring these jewels.

See you there then :#:
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

I wonder if the greyhound racer could be an early Mills machine? It looks very similar to the Mills Chicago of 1900-1910 (as shown in the Morlacchi collection book).
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Watling
Attachments
watling.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

This thread probably answers tazmantic's question about where we find our machines better than any of the answers we gave him.
In so much as nobody mentioned provincial house clearance auctions, which as Treefrog hinted at most of us keep an eye on but never mention. !WINK!

As youngerap said "I am sure you would not expect the established collectors to volunteer their personal sources (would you?)."
And true to his word .... we didn't did we?
He then went on to prove he was a better man than we are by pointing out how to!

However I still stand by what I said in that I've fallen over more machines through telling everyone I meet what my hobby is, than I have any other way except of course for The Coventry Auction, the next one incidentally is Sunday November 24 ....... so it seems.

Please don't tell anyone though as we've gotten into the habit of enjoying a nice quiet day spent only with a handful of our best friends. We find this is a nice way of relaxing after several weeks hard work organising it.
Luckily the bargains we offer there can always be viewed again at the next Elephant House Auction as they snap up our bargains in order to stock their event and you only have to pay a higher commission.

BP (who lives a mere 20 mile hop, skip and a jump from Louth, however fully expects these items to go to an internet bidder for three times my budget ......... as per usual)
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Still nof offers of knowledge for the Billiards Handan Ni machine. Anyone seen one before? I went through the patents on this site and found more than 6 Billiards related machines, none Handan and none similar to this.

I may go alone as mentioned, but expect prices to be way beyond my capability, in fact add a zero and then multiple by 4.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're optimistic TF if you think you'll be alone after youngerap turned Queen's Evidence and then even our members in Orstralia discovered they can watch it live on't Webernet. You'll be surrounded if only in spirit.
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Oi, BP. I can assure you that I have never given any evidence on Queen (or any other rock band, for that matter). I just thought they were interesting items and in the spirit of this forum, thought maybe others might share that interest. Didn't know I had made a bit of a faux pas. :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No faux pas at all young man, be assured.

I did exactly the same thing myself about a year ago and received an email immediately from someone asking me to take it down as he was interested in going after it. I also remember a few years back a bit of a "how to do" on here because members were pointing out slot machines on eBay that were in the wrong category and others felt it was unsporting to point it out to the rest of us.

If it's on The Internet it's in the public domain.

TF's comment about us all pretending to ourselves that we're the only ones who know. Is bang on the mark.

A very entertaining thread I feel

BP
jingle

Post by jingle »

Nice one youngerap la
:o
Now then tree frog ;-)
You were terrible for pointing auctions out
When you 1 st arrived on this site lad,
I stopped searching in the end
I just waited for you to put it on here !!>*<!! :!!!:

Now then were is my bank managers number
@&@
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Holy crap! Just looked at two 'similar' period machines in the States (a Caille Eclipsel and a Judge) and the guide prices are $60,000 - $120,000 and $21,000 - $42,000, respectively.

The American auction machines are clearly in restored condition, but I am starting to understand why one might wish to keep this Lot quiet....... price guide of £100-£150? Yeah, that is realistic! :NBG:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ah Jingles how right you are.....my naive position in my early days on this site, I thought I was being helpful and posting every machine I found on here, actually it took me two years to clock on I was seriously pissing off other members collectors......der.....it took 20 emails, threats of debagging and unusual packages through the letter box to clock on this was not helpful.....now I am like everyone else....

Lets face it we are collectors and part of that is getting something everyone else does not have and the biggest appeal is the challenge... We are blee*ing addicts,lets face it and it is fun !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Addict! .... Who's an addict? I'm not ..... ok, I do a bit of slots now and again, but I can stop when I want ...... I've just got a bit of a cold at the moment. :-(
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

youngerap wrote:I am starting to understand why one might wish to keep this Lot quiet.......
Yep. I reckon I know about 80% of what's going through the auctions, partly because I pay to know and partly thanks to a collector friend, far more diligent than myself at scouring the internet, who very kindly tips me off sometimes. The fact that I (and he) knew nothing of this sale until you posted it here, suggests it might otherwise have slipped through with only a handful of collectors in the game. It will, almost certainly, affect the hammer price, perhaps very significantly, when you consider this site is watched by collectors, here and overseas, many of whom are not members or active in the Forum, but are likely to be extremely interested in these rarities.

When it comes to collecting, only one thing can trump cash, and that's information.

Certainly, if I'd known about this one, I'd have been horrified to find it discussed here before sale day. That's not to say you did anything wrong - just to let you know (and, as a new collector, it's understandable you wouldn't) - you're bound to put some serious collectors' noses out of joint. Others would argue you did a good thing - namely, serious collectors who didn't know, the auction house and the lucky vendor who put them in a provincial saleroom with little or no reserves!

Next time this site goes offline for three weeks because "The website owner has not paid web hosting charges for the current month", it might mean Youngerap saw an odd machine called "Bumper" at his local village auction and wonders if... !SHSSS!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Youngerap,

To tell or not to tell, that is the question. (Apologies to Willy S.) I unknowingly stepped on some serious toes almost 10 years ago when I discovered the Pansu Collection auction two days before it occurred and posted notice on our American coin-op site. Turns out several of the golden-heeled American collectors were attending and did not appreciate notice going out to the hoi polloi. My general rule of thumb is that the more who know, the better it is for the hobby. Unless I'm going to attend and want to keep the news under wraps, of course.

Self-serving, you ask? OF COURSE!

J Peterson
Generosity starts in the American home
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Well, two thoughts are bouncing around in my head about this subject: 1) I am disappointed that I might have denied a UK collector that chance to purchase a machine that, perhaps, they might never have thought would come their way. To them, I apologise. 2) I am not at all concerned about upsetting a 'serious' collector. Such a person should know the true value of this machine and I would expect them to a) expect competition at the auction and b) be prepared to pay for it.

I guess there is also a third thought, which is that I would guess the sellers of this machine do not know what they might have (or else they would have put a few shillings into some restoration work and whacked it into Christies). If they get a little windfall from this, all well and good.

For me, these were just interesting machines that I had not seen before.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I have to correct you here Mr P.

The Bumper was a fortnight ago in a Table Top Sale, Park Hall Road Walsall. :cool: