Is it easy to change from 25cents to Accept UK coinage?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
markymark

Is it easy to change from 25cents to Accept UK coinage?

Post by markymark »

Hi

I've been looking at buying a restored golden nugget or mills slot. Having searched for months it appears the Americans are superb at restoring these old machines. Can't find any UK based ones!
However, all these machines are set to operate on 25cents. Is it an easy task, or possible to convert to a UK coinage? Or do we have an equivilent type coin size that would operate one of these.

Shame I gotta buy from states, shipping expensive!

thx
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Buying a quality American Bandit

Post by badpenny »

Hi Mark ..........

If you're new to this site, or if you're new to slot collecting in the UK and have not yet built up your network of contacts consider the following instead of importing from USA: -

Place a wanted advert, the link is on the left of this page, fourth from the bottom "Market"

Subscribe to the magazine "Mechanical Memories" the link is also on this site but
https://pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=467
will take you straight to it. It has a for sale & wanted section.

Be aware that there are live auctions to attend where you are likely to find such a machine already on GB currency, depends on your budget and depends on the condition you want.
So far as I am aware the next live auction will be Coventry Mid November. The last auction we ran was In Herts in April with over 200 lots everything ranging from bandits to wall machines including coins, spares, books, fairground memorobilia.

So I suggest you subscribe to the magazine (on line) and bookmark this site so you can revisit regulary.

Welcome and we look forward to meeting up.

zenataomm
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

hi mark, a 25c machine will operate on an old 5p/ 1/- quite happily, the present 10p usually works ok, these are slightly bigger and sometimes you need to open the coin entry slightly
grabber

Post by grabber »

HELLO IF YOU ARE BUYING A GOLDEN NUGGET MACHINE BE CAREFULL MOST OF THESE ARE BRAND NEW ,THAT WHY AMERICAN MACHINES LOOK SO NICE ,WHY DONT YOU LOOK AT SLOTS OF MONTANA WEB SITE YOU'LL FIND IT IN ARCIVE AND LINKS THESE PEOPLE ONLY SELL FULLY RESTORED OLD MACHINES ,I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR COLLECTING ,,,
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

........... dower is quite right. There's quite an industry over there turning out replicas. The other thing to take into account in importing one is HM Customs, it's a bit of a lottery but if you win and they pick your package then you've got duty to pay as well!
Bit like winning the jackpot really only in reverse!
markymark

Thx

Post by markymark »

Thank you to all collectors. I wondered why the american ones looked so bright and shiny, Didn't realise they were made new! I took everyones advice and bought a machine from here, its an old sega bonanza. Sorry to ask but the arm is very rusty, where do you guys get spares from.. or is it worth rechroming?? thx again