1930s Rebound pinball identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ddstoys

1930s Rebound pinball identified

Post by ddstoys »

Hi there,
I've recently purchased a very old coin operated pinball machine and I'm unable to did any info on it.

On the outside it has no visible marking, but the apron has holes which may have held instructions or name plates maybe?

The machine has holes for scoring, as per usual, but some holes have a score and a question mark and these holes have a wire and weight system so if you get both question mark holes your balls are returned to you.

It also has a wire ramp in the center of the playfield which originally had a kicker activated by solenoid which fires the ball through a look and down the wire ramp. There is also a solenoid operated kicker down the very bottom.

If anyone has any info or ideas how to best find info on this game I'm all ears.

Not sure if I can upload photos from my phone. If not, I'll try tomorrow from my PC.
Thanks, Daniel
Attachments
image.jpg
gameswat

Re: 1930 era pinball machine help needed

Post by gameswat »

Hi Dan, machine is called "Rebound" by Exhibit Supply circa Dec 1934. See this link for another example http://www.pinrepair.com/prewar/rebound.htm
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

AWSOME - thanks for the reply. I was literally scrolling that pre war page as the email notification came through.

I'm very excited about it. This machine is in very good original condition. The only thing I've done so far is wiped the glass and adjusted the coin mech to get it working.

The game has two coils but without knowing the correct voltage (I'm guessing 110v) I'm not going to risk putting on a plug.
Does anyone know a good place for this kind of paperwork? I've already emailed PBR, so fingers crossed.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Dan, start low - it should be battery operated on 12 volts for those kicker coils most probably. Unless someone added a later transformer to knock down from 110/240 to 12 volts? Globes are usually 6 volts and will work OK with a simple lantern battery. But the coils will need more Amps. I usually buy rechargeable high amp batteries used for home alarms. I have one oddball game that runs on three separate battery supplies, one x 6 volts = 6 volts. Two x 6 volts in series = 12 volts and one x 6 volt lantern for the lights.
ddstoys

Re: 1930s Rebound pinball identified

Post by ddstoys »

Thanks again for the reply.

I spent the afternoon playing around and you were spot on 12v is perfect. They must have had an external battery connected maybe!!

I got the lower kicker working and the bell but the middle kicker is missing the armature. Would anyone have one of these floating around??
Attachments
image.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I guess that would be a coil you're missing rather than an armature.

Does it look as if the one you got working for the lower kicker would fit where the missing one should be? If so show us a photo of it.

BP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

This photo appears to be the surviving armature and he another the same BP?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sorry me old fruitgum it's probably me, but the above means bugger all to me. I understand all 13 words individually if not together.

To me an armature is the spinny bit of an electric motor.

DC motor Armature
DC motor Armature

The photo posted by ddstoys looks to me to be a lever as you'd expect to see used as a kicker. It would be activated by an electro magnet acting on one end of it.
ddstoys said I got the lower kicker working and the bell but the middle kicker is missing the armature would anyone have one of these floating around?? So guessing that this lower kicker was also worked by an electromagnet coil I was wondering if the setup would have been the same?

BP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

This photo appears to be the surviving armature and he "NEEDS" another the same BP?
Sorry, busy day.
This is a small moving arm, hence armature. He should probably have said lever.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Yes, sorry, my mistake. The photo shows the part I need. The coil is all still intact - just missing the shown piece.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No wonder I'm on my 6th long term relationship, I can't even communicate with other slotties, what bloody chance have I of ever being on the same wavelength as a woman? :-o

Looking at what I now understand to be the missing bit, it shouldn't be too difficult to make one. You know the dimensions and it only needs to be steel in order to be affected by the coil. Perhaps a bit of old Meccano?

BP

edited to say .... This is one of the best laughs I've had this week..... I have an image of 133 forum members having read this thread and all thinking "Well I understand.....????"
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Long time between posts. Finally have this game sorted out. Big thanks to Treefrog for an original 1d slide mech and a mate for pressing me up another kicker arm.

Does anyone know what kind of balls these would have originally had? This has some marbles which have more flat spots than round spots.

I’ve found a US supplier for replacement marbles but unsure if that’s what they should be. I couldn’t imagine the kickers having enough strength to kick around a steel ball.

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Very nice resto, looks a thousand dollars. !!THUMBSX2!! And nice to see the slide back in use. :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Cool machine - nice restoration - well done! !!THUMBSX2!!
Can you post a link to the marble supplier you mentioned?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Looks good DD, the early electric games are usually simple but still fun. Yes marbles will be right, they don't get many hard knocks if the plunger rubber is in place, only when players fire multiple balls very quickly and they collide togther.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

cait001

Post by cait001 »

Just chiming in that I also order from Moon Marble. Have a huge variety more on the way, 1", 7/8", 9/16", and some 5/8".
Awesome selection, and a great way to customize your old pin games.

Remember that even if a marble will fit, sometimes it is not designed for that size.
for example, we got one table working and had 1" balls in it, which were fine atop the playfield, but could sometimes jam under the playfield. So we went to 7/8".

Ddstoys, what country are you in? I find shipping marbles is super pricey outside of the USA. I am in Canada and drive just south of the border to grab my order.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

I’m in Australia so no cheap way - $38 shipping for a pound of balls.

The lady was nice enough to just send me what I needed - 12 balls 10+2 which dried the shipping to $16.

And you're spot on about the sizing. Size and weight both play a part in these games. If these balls do fit I’ll have to adjust a few of the mechs that work on the ball's weight.