malcymal

Re: Jubilee "Upstairs Downstairs" Questions

Post by malcymal »

Thanks Andy, I shall pop over to their forum to take a look. Malc :cool:
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

Hi there,
I was wondering about your "upstairs/downstairs" 1978 poker machine. I have just purchased one, in great condition and would love to see it lit up so am not sure how to obtain a power cord for this machine for Australian standards. As far as I can tell, it has two flat prongs on the back and the bottom third one is round. There is also another one next to it, which is the reverse - so you have a female or male option for plug in.
Once again, I would love to see this machine lit up as it is an all time classic. Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards,
prawnhead.
JC

Post by JC »

...so you have a female or male option for plug in.
Er, no you don't! The chassis plug will ALWAYS be male (the line plug on the end of the power lead being female). The female chassis plug will be power out (for what reason, I have no idea).
Two flat prongs and a round (earth) sounds American.
zygo

Post by zygo »

G'day prawnhead.
Sounds good. I take it you're in Australia somewhere? Where did you find it?
Re. the cable.
You will need to make up a cable for it. I couldn't find the configuration off the shelf, but the parts are available. It consists of a normal Australian 3 pin male plug and some 10A extrension cord flex (I just cut this from an old extension cord). On the other end, you will need to add this PLUG SOCKET, EXTENTION, ORDINARY DUTY FLEX, 10A, 250V, ROUND EARTH from Rexel or whoever your local electrical parts dealer is. (Usual safety warnings and precautions apply).
80870-full.jpg

You are going to be plugging into the male fitting on the back of the machine. The female socket next to it appears to just be for connecting the next machines power supply in what would have been a line of machines sharing one power outlet, daisy chain style.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go. I still have some questions re. how the jackpot worked, so I would be interested in seeing the inside of an "intact" machine at some time.

Cheers,

zygo.
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

Hi Zygo,
Unreal, thanks heaps for the info. With that I should be able to get my sparky friend to fix it up for me!
Yep, I'm in Australia (NSW) so this info is perfect. It was listed on ebay and I rang him immediately and my wife had to travel up and pick it up for me. The bushfires had closed some roads and she had to go the long way round, so took longer to travel. It was a bargain and is in very good condition. All the laminate cabinet is still complete - no chips, cracks or anything. I am very happy with it - so now to see if it lights up. It works without lighting up, but you cannot get the full effect of the mirror on the back to see properly without the lights on.
zygo wrote:I still have some questions re. how the jackpot worked, so I would be interested in seeing the inside of an "intact" machine at some time.

I am happy to take photos or whatever for you to have a look at.

Cheers.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Aristocrat machines had the same system. I found a supplier of the male leads in the UK with UK sockets on the end and bought a load and instead of rewiring, I now use the original fittings. On the Aristocrats, both sockets can be used and connect to the same internal connections, so I assume this would be the same on your machine, but I would check if I were you....

I can try and find the supplier if interested.
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

Thanks treefrog. I will give Zygo's idea a try first just because being international fittings the standard volt system may be different? I'm not a sparky so not sure on this one, but I will get my electrician friend to check out and if I require more info will definitely let you know. Thanks. I will keep you posted on the update of how I am going - first thing is to contact my busy friend - hope they have a few spare moments!
zygo wrote:I still have some questions re. how the jackpot worked, so I would be interested in seeing the inside of an "intact" machine at some time.
Hi again Zygo,
About the jackpot.... I believe that it would have to be a manual payout - has a tube that only holds around $12. Once this tube is full, you can still play it, but the remaining coins that you put in, will drop to a tray in the bottom of the machine. This is the best explanation I can give you.
So in saying this - it would've had to have been a manual payout for the $16 & $50 jackpots.
The cord plugged in fine and I got it organised - however - the machine didn't light up. As this has been inactive for quite some time, I am going to purchase some new light globes. Hopefully this is all it needs as I have no other options for ideas if this is not the case.
Kind regards,
prawnhead
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There may very well be a fuse tucked away in there. I don't know this machine, but there usually is. Check that first.
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

coppinpr wrote:There may very well be a fuse tucked away in there. I don't know this machine, but there usually is. Check that first.
Thanks, I just happened to have that thought last night while trying to go to sleep. I have changed the light globes and I have changed the two little white things that are supposed to be changed with every globe change *(don't know what they are called) so I am running out of possibilities - so hopefully the fuse thing works.
Thanks for your idea!

cheers!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The little white plastic columns that twist into place are called starters.
The oblong boxes that have wires attached are ballast chokes, they're a form of transformer.

BP
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

badpenny wrote:The oblong boxes that have wires attached are ballast chokes, they're a form of transformer.
These transformers - do they need replacing?
Does anyone know if there are any fuses in this machine and where?
Thanks in advance.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The ballasts MAY need to be replaced - they are not expensive. BP is right in saying they are transformers but that is a little misleading as they are a dedicated power source for strip lights rather than a straight transformer.
Is it just the lights that don't work, or are there any special features that don't work as well? If it's the lights (and in fact all of the lights) if it's a fuse problem it should be upstream of the ballasts. If there is a main fuse and nothing works, it must be upstream of the main transformer for the machine (not lights) if it's a mains fuse, or down from it if it's a reduced power fuse. They are often push-in fuses (like our 13amp fuses) and fixed to the case on the inside right. Early ones were buried in the back of the case on some machines and hard to see and a pain to change. Power off please when even looking there. :!:
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

Thanks for the added info. Yes it is just the lights that don't work. Mechanically it is great. I will check out the replacement of the transformer. I have tried to look for any fuses, and would have thought that there would be one somewhere but could not find any - hidden is very true - that's why I asked as I cannot see it.
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

Hi again,
Thanks to all who have helped with valuable info.
We have it working.
I am wondering if the box on the bottom that says "upstairs/downstairs" is supposed to be lit up? How do you get to the lights inside it if any?
I am very happy with the outcome of this. Thanks
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think you have to strip the door down from the inside for that one :-(