Just a Quickie Question - Removing Black bit from Bandit Arm

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
markymark

Just a Quickie Question - Removing Black bit from Bandit Arm

Post by markymark »

I'm wondering how do you remove the black plastic ball off the tip of the bandit pull arm. If I want to get the arm re-chromed surely i'll have to remove this! I've tried twisting it, thinking it was screwed on, but it won't budge. Maybe someone out there knows how to get this off.
thanks
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

The ball definately screws off; but as it's been tight on the arm for many years there is probably a fair bit of adhesion.

Incidentally, if you have any questions regarding your Sega restoration project you can just ask them in the same topic where your first question was raised...viewers will see that a new posting has been made. By doing this it reduces the number of individual subject postings which viewers have to trawl through. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Try removing the arm assembly, and sticking it in the freezer over night then upend it in a saucepan of boiling water just so the ball is submerged. That might break the seal and get it turning.
markymark

Ouch!

Post by markymark »

I tried removing the handle last night.... What a ****!!!! It will not move at all.... Gonna try Badpenny suggestion tonight, (that'll please the wife!!!) - If I can't get it off, will the electro plater still be able to chrome the handle with this in place???
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I take it the plastic handle won't crack with the sudden extremes. Another option is to turn the arm upside down and try and let some WD40 or other wonderous chemical (there's all sorts around -try an auto shop) seep into the joint. Theres a suggestion somewhere on this site about using molasses for some stubborn situations.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Might be a silly question but could it have a left hand thread ?
markymark

BooHoo

Post by markymark »

Still trying to get this silly thing off.. Maybe someone has glued it in place.. I tried the freezer and boiling water trick, no joy! Used a wooden mallet and hammered it to try and break the seal.. No joy! Left it soaking in WD40 for 24 hours.. No Joy!!!
Any suggestions of removing this black ball handle much appreciated!!!
Thx
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've had these re-chromed without removing the ball. I guess they just suspend the arm in the bath with the plastic above the surface. Or maybe the chemicals don't affect the plastic? When plating hinges, to keep the chrome off the hinge pins I wrap them with insulating tape. You could do the same with the plastic ball to protect it, but I doubt this is neccessary. Ask your plater.

And if you do get the ball off, make sure you protect the thread from chrome or you won't get it back on again!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

You lot have got it all wrong. You don't want to move the ball from the handle. That's just silly. You want to move the handle from the ball!!!!!