Peter Simper machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
operator bell

Re: Peter Simper

Post by operator bell »

anybody know whether the payouts can be adjusted, e.g. did they have anything that could be switched inside to adjust the payouts?
Being an EM, the payouts will be hard wired, but that wouldn't stop someone with the knowledge getting in there with a soldering iron and modifying them. The important question would be whether the payout counter - an electromagnetic device - is capable of counting to higher numbers. It also depends if the machine has a hopper or a tube payout. PS club machines had a hopper, but I don't know about AWPs.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Anyone got any pictures of Peter Simper machines, as I am sure I have played them, but cannot place them....
jumbo

Peter Simper Jumbo machine

Post by jumbo »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello, I'm a new member. I have a Peter Simper fruit machine called Jumbo. I have a problem - the hold just won't work. The buttons light as they should. I have cleaned the electro hold things to no joy. The machine takes old 10ps. I would just like to fix it. Also, I had to remove one hold thing as it was stopping one of reels turning. I have pressed all the relays at the back too. It is a sort of ongoing project. Also, if anyone can tell me more on the machine, I'd be interested.
Thank you,
Ross.
slotalot

Re: jumbo machine help

Post by slotalot »

Hi Ross, welcome to the pennymachines forum :cool:
There are a few of us on here that like to collect the old electro mechanical machines. Simper machines are considered a little modern for most of our members. That said, I am sure someone will be able to help you and they have been talked about on here in the past.

The first thing we need is some good quality photos of your machine so we know what we are dealing with.
Also. can I ask what part of the country you live in?? There could be someone near to you who is willing to take a look at your machine for you, me included if you are not too far away... :D
clubconsoles

Re: Peter Simper Jumbo machine

Post by clubconsoles »

Go To
http://www.fruitemu.co.uk/ib/index.php?/index

There are people probably more able to help there as they are more fans of the EM stuff !!THUMBSX2!!
Cheers
Nigel
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Nigel :cool: Thought I might have a look at that site myself, but I can't seem to get the registration page to work !!JUNK!!
Might give it a try again later :!?!:
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

Hello,
Thank you. I'm in Torquay, Devon. How do I go about putting pictures on please?
Thank you,
Ross.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Attachments
p-simper_original.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Wow, that one made it to the USA! The shipping alone probably cost the estimated $400-$600 sale price. Pity it's a crappy AWP version and not a jackpot game, or I might have bid on it.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

This one was on ebay a few months back, don't know if this pic is helpful??
Attachments
$(KGrHqJHJEkFGstwM5QNBRvKmRbUkg~~60_1.jpg
$(KGrHqJHJEkFGstwM5QNBRvKmRbUkg~~60_1.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Like the handles on these.... found an original flyer for another similar one.
Ipswich-20131116-00350.jpg
Ipswich-20131116-00350.jpg (22.83 KiB) Viewed 7008 times

170_4-20131022173734_original.jpg

operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Thanks for the pic, Nigel. Behold - the stabilizer!

I have anecdotal evidence of how efficiently it regulated the percentage. When I was very young, my Student Union bar became dissatisfied with the profits they were making with their Peter Simper machine (it was a Courage bar). So they bugged a first reel cherry with a bolt and two washers, so it could never stop on that symbol. Some weeks later I happened to be sitting nearby watching the SU president and the bar manager poking around inside the machine, and I mentioned the bug. They said, "We had to do something to try and get more money out of the damn machine." I asked them, did it work? They said, "Only for a few days. Then it went back the way it was before."
Attachments
stabilizer.jpg
phantom

Post by phantom »

Hello - new here so be gentle with me :D

I have a 1975 Peter Simper machine that is fully working and comes with the wiring programme.
I was wondering if it is worth anything at all?
The kids enjoy it for it's novelty value but all of the old coins keep 'disappearing'!

Here are some photos:
The front
The front

IMG_9404_zpsb3ed81e3.jpg

The hand drawn wiring diagrams
The hand drawn wiring diagrams

IMG_9399_zpsc6888fbd.jpg

IMG_9400_zps0a36e218.jpg

The rear (with back cover removed)
The rear (with back cover removed)

IMG_9409_zpsc28566fe.jpg

IMG_9410_zps3d4440d4.jpg

operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Great pics! More than 50 relays, wow. No wonder they could get them printed with the PS logo, they must have bought them by the truckload.

It looks as if the coin mechs have been removed leaving just the plates. Is it on free play?
phantom

Post by phantom »

No, it's not on free play - the coin mechanisms are all there just not obvious in the photos. It takes the old style 5p and 10p coins, of which we have a dwindling number due to numerous visiting teenagers.
I'll get some more detailed photos tomorrow and close ups of the fascinating wiring drawings.

Does anyone know of the significance of the RAF F4 Phantom and Westland Wessex helicopter on the front?
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

I have a Peter Simper machine in my collection - very small jukebox type cabinet and very well made. Really nice machines if not somewhat weird beside most others. I love it. And it has a rare road theme I also like. Basically when MPU machines came into use in the '80s Peter Simper could not compete as all their machines were e/m and all their machines at the time out in field and on the production line were crushed and wasted. Only a handful remain that were bought by employees. They are rare and I'm proud of mine. So crappy PCB machines saw the death of good e/ms. :dammit:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

glittering-prize67 wrote:So crappy pcb machines saw the death of good e/ms. :dammit:
A real shame, but progress is inevitably towards lower cost and less labour. Look at the previous pictures - more than fifty relays at five to ten quid apiece, and I don't know how many man-hours in the wiring harnesses alone. But a few survive and are lovingly cared for by people who remember and appreciate the workmanship. EMs are my particular area of interest. They're much, much easier to maintain than what came after, and you see the whole progression of technology, from post-WW2 government surplus and ex-Post Office telephone junk to the end of relays and the start of logic controls. Kind of tracks my childhood experimental phase that followed the same progression.
phantom wrote:Does anyone know of the significance of the RAF F4 Phantom and Westland Wessex helicopter on the front?
Ah, don't let the Navy hear you say that. It's a Fleet Air Arm Phantom. 'Course, young people of today would automatically assume it's RAF because Britain doesn't have any through-decks.

I would take a wild guess that this model with this artwork was intended for a Naval Officers' club somewhere.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Good guess OB, Fleet Air Arm at Yeovilton about 35 miles from Peter Simper home base of Bath. Find someone who served there at appropriate time - I bet they'll remember it in the mess.
phantom

Post by phantom »

Some more detailed photos of the wiring drawings and internal coin mechanisms etc, as requested:
IMG_9415_zpsf6a6f563.jpg

IMG_9417_zps7f956d15.jpg

IMG_9418_zps2f07d953.jpg

IMG_9419_zpsbfeeb62b.jpg

IMG_9420_zps65945c7d.jpg

IMG_9421_zpsc794be58.jpg

IMG_9423_zpsbda0f99a.jpg

IMG_9425_zps02fd87f3.jpg

IMG_9428_zps8dadcd4a.jpg

IMG_9431_zpsb8187cc6.jpg

IMG_9432_zpseb0e6d28.jpg

photobucket album