I don't like the new front page.

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
margamatix

I don't like the new front page.

Post by margamatix »

Sorry, but I don't like the new front page, it's just too complicated, too much like someone showing off their website design skills when something simpler would be more effective.

I don't want to ruffle feathers- I love this site- but you asked for honest opinions and that's mine.

And *my* opinion only, so I wonder if anyone else has an opinion?

Vince
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Vince,

You can't ruffle myfeathers (I'm all fur).
Sorry you don't like it, but thanks for your comments.
You're right, the front page is a showoff page. It's supposed to say - hey this site is fun and worth a look. But it's also designed to provide a quick overview of all the main areas of the site to anyone visiting for the first time.

Is it the whole allwin thing or the new text links I added recently you don't like?
Seems a good plan to offer dynamically updating links to the latest news, market, auction and forum (that's how I just spotted your posting here) so that visitors can see immediately if there's anything new and go straight there. The PennyMachines Post news page would not be so easy to find without this.

Aside from questions of function, the style is a matter of taste - and I wouldn't expect everyone to like it.

You have the option of never seeing the default front page and all the other Flash by just clicking that red "f" symbol. You don't really need the homepage page once you know the site, because all the links are available on the other pages (including "Latest" at bottom of the page), but you might consider bookmarking the Site Map. This minimalist "plain text" gateway page might be more to your liking.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.
More comments welcome.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Just to balance the debate, I actually think the set up is very professional looking...and I admire your effort and results. Do wounder whether first time users will be confused about putting the cursor over the 'holes' when it refers to the gantry area, but that is probably being a bit pedantic on my part! :D
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You can click the flags as well as the "holes" now.
I agree, it was a bit counter-intuitive.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I like to think that pennymachines.co.uk is the thinking man (or woman's) dream coin-op website. Most websites are designed to the lowest common denominator. As a result, we become accustomed to an instant point and click expectation. The demands at this website are a bit more complex. If you're just looking for a simple answer to a common question, (eg. What is my allwin worth?) you may be disapppointed. On the other hand, if you're an aspiring or even advanced collector, this site has gems which will entertain, excite and enthuse you. Is the front page complex? Absolutely! It has to be to serve as gate keeper to the site itself which all will admit to being wonderfully complex. I recommend this site to all my coin-op buddies as the top site of its kind on the web, period. I have yet to hear one disagreement. .