Revamped Beromat-type bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jonesthegarage

Re: Revamped Beromat-type Bandits

Post by jonesthegarage »

Not another contender for the ugliest Beromat derivative - this isn't a contender, it's the undisputed champ! Close to some of our members though so sure will find a home.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fruit ... 35c777108f
Attachments
calypso.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It has to be one of the easiest modernisations ever.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Jonesthegarage wrote:Not another contender for the ugliest Beromat derivative - this isn't a contender, it's the undisputed champ
:#: Oh dear, I have one - same yellow plastic surround, but called Alpine...... I quite like mine in an odd way and, yes, if this was near me I would buy, as usual.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

....and the King shall return

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vinta ... 1019527857

don't recall seeing the blue one ending on ebay. Was it removed by gaming police?
Attachments
redking.JPG
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Another one on Gumtree....A Gold Rush....

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vinta ... to-content
Attachments
gold-rush.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Not seen that one before.

We should be compiling a collection of all of these pictures........ where would we keep them Museum? Archive? Cupboard under the stairs?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I think it would be remiss of me not to add a pic of this gem to the pile. About as classic as the UK revamper got me thinks! Can't remember exactly what model this started as, but had figured it out when restoring. The nice original german veneer was still hiding under that sky blue Laminex.
Attachments
space flightomat.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I have seen one in the flesh and decided I shall have one one day.
Then again I was going to retire at 30 and marry Catherine Zita Jones. :#:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

There was a separate thread on these a couple of years ago as a couple came up for sale, including one at Coventry....did take my fancy except for the price :#:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2675
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

malcymal wrote:I came across a Las Vegas, last picture, exactly the same colour, perhaps same machine, at the Brighton jukebox fair. It was selling for £170. It's a bit of an oddity, because it looks like a Beromat mech but it has 20 stop reels, not 10. Puzzling.
I've always been fond of these British re-vamp machines as they are straight out of my youth.
I'm now bringing together two different stories from that time.
1 The previously mentioned Las Vegas re-vamp
2 My comment I'm more interested in how something has accrued individuality during its working life. My Uncle used to spend spare moments in his arcade constantly prettifying the machines that put bacon on the table.

One of the jobs my Uncle had me doing during the Summer hols working in his arcade in Paignton in the '60s was to make his bandits appear more attractive to play than those the competition had across the road.

Along with the truck load of bandits he'd bought from the shifty looking bloke who made his deliveries on a Sunday evening !!UHOH!! he also bought a big box of Günter Wulff bits and bobs. His original idea was to have enough spares to do his own maintenance (errr ... for me to do his own maintenance). Initially he was hacked off to discover that mainly he'd bought the first reel respin levers that had been removed during the conversion.
Then he realised he could make his bandits seem easier to win by me putting the mechs back to re-spin and connecting up a button to the front to activate it. For years he had a sign outside that said something like .....
notice.png
notice.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 6120 times

Whilst I beavered away out the back re-linking the unlinked links
dizziness-confused.jpg
dizziness-confused.jpg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 6117 times

Still once you learn how to do something you tend to remember it.

Now the second part.
It seems I've bought the Las Vegas that malcymal talks about seeing at Brighton. If it's not the same machine, it appears identical.
IMG_1376.JPG

I bought it from one of new members. It was through going to collect it that I introduced him to Pennymachines.
Getting it home I found........
It does have double the reel symbols than stops.

Had been converted to 2np by sleeving the tube, cobbling the slug rejecter and melting a massive glob of solder to the bottom slide to prevent the smaller coins falling through, unless there's a win.

It was paying two coins every play regardless.

The handle was staying down until the cycle ended and then slamming back up.

The timing clock had been speeded up by wiring in the weights.

The brake on the first reel wasn't aligned to its stop, so the moment you played it, its brake immediately engaged.

Tackling the above list, I decided to revisit my formative years and after carefully chucking everything in my spares box onto the floor, by upending it from a height, I found I had enough spares to replace the respin function and installed a button on the front above the V of Vegas.

So it now works on old penny, rejects slugs properly, runs a perfect cycle in 15 seconds, pays out as it should and respins the first reel as if it was one of Uncle Gordon's.
Uncle G is now in his eighties and when I told him of this latest project he looked dreamily at me and with a tear in his eye he asked me wot the 'ell I was blethering about. He has no idea who I am, he thinks I'm somebody he sold a Ford Pilot V8 to in 1956 and wants his money back. Although I tell him I wasn't in the habit of buying cars when I was two, he's quite rightly very suspicious of me.
Mind you my memory is also collapsing for if I ever knew the manufacturer of this particular re-vamp then I've long since forgotten so, if anybody out there has any ideas, please shout out.

They are one of the better attempts to rehouse a Günter Wulff mechanism and update it. Someone has taken a lot of trouble repainting it. The handle is Günter Wulff style yet longer and the case is very robust with a folding side on the left to allow for tinkering and easy removal.
IMG_1377.JPG

The only thing left to do now is alter the denomination badge from 2np to real money

BP
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I suspect it is the same machine 'cause, the first thing I spotted, it was a 20 stop; certainly same colour scheme. It looked identical and was priced at £170 by a dealer at the Brighton Pinball and Jukebox Fair a few years back. Back then, it was running on old penny but was gunked in WD40 and it stank everytime you got a payment, coins coated in it. I do like it though, it's quirky and something a bit different too.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Three more...
Attachments
Bonanza
Bonanza
Viscount
Viscount
Vegas
Vegas
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

$T2eC16d,!)MFIb35p-lUBSSZ7YR0Kw~~60_12.JPG

how strange this should appear on Ebay so soon after previous post. Whoever heard of it, a Viscount on top of a Duchess, ooer missus
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Kindly remove those monstrocities from my screen.
I thought we had standards 'ere.
Ta.p
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Kindly remove those monstrocities from my screen.
I thought we had standards 'ere.
Ta .p
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

........... have you developed a stammer Andy?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I am not a fan of slot machines. It's a personal failing and one that I do not feel the need to apologize over. I much prefer the previous era machines: allwins, catchers, shooters and the like. Still, I look at the sales and auction results in order to keep up with current trends both with price and taste. If I did collect slots, I think I would go for the ugly and unusual, like the Viscount pictured. Once you tired of playing, you could toss the guts and use the case as a trash collector.

I also appreciate the vagaries of English usage. Here is the text associated with the Ebay offering of said Viscount: "Vintage one armed bandit, am going to sell as sold as seen only because use the handle is jammed and I don't no how to release it, it was working and some stage as there are pennies in the collection box. The lights came on once plugged in and the reels do move, so anybody who knows what there doing could probably get it working as it should. If machine sells I would like buyer to collect if possible so they can expect it before parting with any money. Machine just wants some TLC."

The obvious question: Expect it to do what?

J Peterson
American living in the past
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Living proof that we don't teach our own language let alone its grammar in our schools........... I expect :dammit:

Stage now open for gags about Grandma ....... :cool:
raj

UK Beromat rebuild

Post by raj »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Here is a very tidy example on Gumtree. Ex Henry Powell I believe.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vinta ... to-content
Attachments
DSCF1347.JPG
treefrog

Re: UK Beromat rebuild

Post by treefrog »

Not that tidy....this was at the Coventry auction and has a great big crack through the plastic, which is why there is 4 bolts on the front plastic that should not be there. Interesting as the crack was full of dirt and easy to see, so this has either been cleaned somehow for these pictures or paint shopped....

I had two of these a Manhattan and Vegas I sold in Blue and Red this year for less than this and a few of these have been in previous auctions selling for no more than £120.....so seriously overpriced.