How to replace and re-cut a plastic backflash

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
widget2k4

How to replace and re-cut a plastic backflash

Post by widget2k4 »

Topic moved - Site Admin.

My ball keeps getting stuck on certain cups where the plastic has slightly split. It's annoying as it's really difficult to get it back out again. I was thinking of stripping it down and replacing the plastic. Does anyone know what sort of plastic it is I need or where to get it from?
Attachments
IMG_3924.jpg
slotalot

Re: wonders allwin back plastic

Post by slotalot »

The back flash looks to be in quite good condition, are you sure you have the correct size of steel ball in the machine?? I would be tempted to try one a size smaller first, before I set to and stripped the machine down. !!CHEERS!!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Yes the backflash is in mint condition but there is a clear plastic sheet over the top which is starting to crack round certain win holes. Most of them work perfect, just the odd one. I might try a smaller ball like suggested to see what happens, thanks.
What's the easiest way to get the ball out without having to strip the thing down?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

On most allwins if you open the door you can slide the glass up and out of the top of the door frame. :D
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Really? That simple eh, I never knew that and all these times I've been banging and rocking it to try and get the ball free.
jingle

Re: Wonders allwin back plastic

Post by jingle »

Wow I like that widget
Am glad your back :lol:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks mate :)
I am so pleased to be back, I love this forum :)
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

If you decide to renew the plastic on your Wonders giant allwin you will need A1 size 'acetate sheet' - not easy to find in stationers or hobby shops when I looked for some. Some online retailers sell it, mostly 115 microns thick (Fred Aldous, for example). However, the original is probably thicker - it was on my 24 cup, so I went for 250 microns thick which is closer to the original. This can be obtained from: http://www.artstore.co.uk. By the time you have paid postage it is not cheap but it did the trick in my case. Should you get some and need advice on how best to make the holes we can give you ideas.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks for that, I am going to try a smaller ball first as suggested earlier, it's a lot less work. :)
It's only the odd cup that's cracking around so smaller ball will probably work hopefully.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Bear in mind that if you use a smaller ball the game may be slightly different in that it could be easier to win? Another way might be to use a craft knife to carefully cut out the offending cracks if they are small and only around the tops of the cups. Alternatively, there may be enough room between the cups and glass for you to loosen the cups slightly and make a washer with a very small piece of paper or card. This may give you that bit of extra room for the ball to drop in.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I have just had a good look at it and it is only the top 4 cups that are damaged, but I must say down where the ball gets hit by the hammer has worn through the plastic and is just starting to damage the back picture so it may be a case of replacing the plastic after all. :(

Is it this I need? I only see 1mm or 2mm. It's free postage if you buy 2 sheets so it's not that bad. :)
http://www.artstore.co.uk/clear-styrolu ... 297-p-7700

Sorry, I found the one you mentioned.

I managed to find the same stuff on eBay so I ordered some. Any good tips on what to use for the holes?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

widget2k4 wrote:Any good tips on what to use for the holes?
I always use holes. :o
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Never thought of that BP :lol:

Before I drive on and cause some damage, can anyone advise how these round bits come off as they appear to be stuck. :)
You can see the damage on the back flash where the ball has eaten through the plastic. :(
IMG_3939.JPG

I don't normally complain about screwing :HaHa:
but removing them 24 cups involves a lot of it. :(
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Personally I wouldn't have worried about that, it's part of its history and story.

If it was worse and coming loose I'd probably get hold of a sheet of acetate (the sort that was used on overhead projectors) and trim a length to stick over it.

The "Return it to Showroom Condition" methodology is something I've never suffered from, however each to their own.
BP
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I have got some acetate sheets - the reason behind it is the ball is getting stuck in the cups as the back plastic is cracking around the cups, making it unplayable, so I may as well replace the lot in one go. I just don't want to cause damage taking them round things out as I don't see how they fasten on?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

When you remove the flash they will come with it because they're crimped against the back of it. You have to gently bend the crimping just enough to free them.
Cutting the plastic - culled from a previous post:
pennymachines wrote:I would advise cutting the plastic oversize so that its edges are held securely behind the wooden frame... Don't try hammering pins through the plastic because it's liable to split and splinter. Always pre-drill the holes. This applies to cutting as well - mark the shape to cut and drill out the corners before inserting a blade. This prevents over-cutting and splitting beyond the intended cut-line.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks PM :)
I have ordered a hole cutting kit to see if that will work?
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

I hate using Acrylic sheet as it cracks and splits at the first touch of a saw or drill; even if I use a pair of wood battens to sandwich it whilst cutting it still sometimes cracks a short while afterwards; very long cuts I find are impossible to make with a hand saw.
I prefer to use polycarbonate sheet because it is far more pliable, doesn't split or crack easily and is therefore much easier to work with; it can, with the right tooling, be folded cold or hot moulded to almost any shape.
Polycarbonate is available on eBay with thicknesses from ½ mm up and in a range of sheet sizes. There are two clear grades 9030 (standard) and Exell D (high security); it is sometimes available in a small range of colours.

John
JC

Post by JC »

My advice would be to remove all the gubbins from the playfield, remove the backflash and take it to a print shop and get it laminated. The screw holes can then be pierced with something like a nail with a ground point - larger holes can be punched with leather punches (if you have them) or carefully cut with a craft knife.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

JC that is a fantastic idea, wish I had thought of that. If I don't succeed with this acetate and leather punch that's exactly what I am going to do. :)
In fact I might just do it anyway to save a lot of hassle.