3.5v bulbs

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
guyblue10

3.5v bulbs

Post by guyblue10 »

Evening all

Recently acquired a Love Test wall machine that has 3.5v bulbs in it. About half the bulbs are present, half missing. The originals are gold in colour and the remaining ones are mostly firmly embedded in their holders, but there are a couple of loose ones that screw into any of the remaining holders. Under a magnifying glasss they have Ever Ready 3.5v around the top of the gold part.

I have some new bulbs, silver base that appear nearly identical - they have Ever Ready 3.5v around the top of the base, but they don't fit - they screw in about half way and then stop....I've tried to put my thumbnail in the grooves of the bulb threads and turn them round to compare the pitches - they both revolve 4 full turns top to bottom of the threaded part.....the only visible difference is that the threads appear a bit "chunkier" on the newer ones.

I've tried grinding a the threads down a little on a new bulb with a Dremel, to see if I could get some sort of compression/thread fit combo, but no joy....I've done some googling and have seen the terms E 10 and MES to describe the bulbs but they seem to be identical and I can't find any references to thread differences over the years.

I was about to buy some new old stock ones one Ebay to try them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Of-Light ... 232f926197 but wondered if anyone had come across a solution for this...?

Thanks

Guy
slotalot

Re: 3.5v bulbs

Post by slotalot »

Hi Guy, I have quite a few vintage machines that take the MES (Miniature Edison Screw) lamps. I have always got mine from this chap: [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MES-Round-Dia ... 1c362669c0[/url]
I have never had a problem with these lamps fitting the old holders. :tarah:
guyblue10

Re: 3.5v bulbs

Post by guyblue10 »

Fab

I shall give them a try

Thanks