Aristocrat Bobby Dazzler help

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
platau

Aristocrat Bobby Dazzler help

Post by platau »

Hi,
Just recently bought a machine in very poor condition but it basically works and will probably work well with some TLC.
It's an Aristocrat Regal Super 22 "Bobby Dazzler". Australian 10 cent.

The mech is the same as the 4th photo in this post: Aristocrat Questions

Wasn't until I got it home and looked deeper that I noticed both coin tubes were missing.
Can someone please explain (hopefully with photos) what they look like at the top and also how they work with the "L" shaped lever for when the payout tube is full? ...I will make them if I can get enough info.

Second question.
The plastic cog for the 4th reel is not connected to the 4th reel, possibly broken although I can see that there are screws missing, so I need to remove that reel to investigate... I know to mark everything before I start pulling it apart, and to work methodically, but is the correct procedure to remove the left hand frame first, then slide the reels to the left?

Thanks,
Platau
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Aristocrat coin tubes

Post by badpenny »

Hi platau and welcome to our home from home.

When you say both coin tubes are you referring to the payout tube and including the over flow one with the holes?
The L shaped lever that sits at the top of the payout tube protrudes through a slot and lays at the topmost level of coins.
When you pull the handle the lever stays back until after the coin has entered the tube. At the final clunk of the mechanism cycle it flies forward and jettisons any coins obstructing the top. which then go down the overflow chute and into the cash box hidden behind the payout tray at the bottom.

Yes sliding the reel bundle out in one piece is the way to go.
Be aware the reel stops will foul an easy extraction.

The plastic cog needs to be fitted exactly as it determines the line the reel stops on. This will effect how the symbol appears in the window, which in turn may leave the payout disc miss aligned so the vertical fingers no longer enter their holes so your payouts get buggered.

My advice is partially tighten the cog before replacing the reel bundle, then with the reel stops in place make sure the symbols are all in line and the steps on the payout discs also.

BP
platau

Post by platau »

OK thanks for your answer and yes I was referring to the payout tube and the over flow tube.
If the cog is not secured because of the 4 missing screws then I know it will be a reasonably easy fix, providing that the threads are ok, and I know it can only be secured in one (or 2) of 4 positions since 22 won't divide equally by 4 but by 2.
I did notice that the reel stop levers will be a hindrance but I reckon I'll get around that somehow.

I wonder if someone could post a close up photo of the top of these tubes, so I can see how to make them.
Last edited by platau on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Go for it geezer :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There is an easy to follow guide in Tips and Tricks on removing the reels. The key is to half load the cycle first. The L shaped bar is not strictly necessary at all so no need to use it if you're making a new tube. The casting at the top might be a problem though. I'll take a photo later.
platau

Post by platau »

That would be great...thanks.
I will use the "L" lever if I can, so photos showing the details for the slot in the tube and the coin overflow area (casting) will be a significant help.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

platau wrote:Is the correct procedure to remove the left hand frame first, then slide the reels to the left?
Just to be sure we are all on the same page here, and if you mean "do I remove part of the main mech frame to remove the reel bundle" the answer is no.

To remove the reel bundle, half cock the mech to the point where the vertical fingers have pulled back from the payout discs, undo the reel bundle shaft and remove it by pulling it out. pull the reel bundle towards you out of the front of the mech easing the reel stop brakes out from between the reels as you go (you would need to remove the coin tube first if you had one).

When you replace the bundle do it in the same way but pay attention to the reel stop at the back which locks into the payout discs and the kicker below as these tend to move and foul the reels as you replace them.

A few photos, but the only Aristocrat I have on the go right now is a Nevada, so might not be same as yours (I've not seen a photo of your mech):
Attachments
cointube4.jpg
cointube3.jpg
coin tube 2.jpg
coin tube1.jpg
platau

Post by platau »

Photos of it.
Plenty of surface rust to clean up. Think I'll just paint it black or white or maybe purple or something. Whatever looks nice I guess.
The cabinet is water damaged as well so I will probably build a new one for it.
You might also notice red paint on the edges of the payout discs. That's how I lined everything up after pulling the reels apart.

I've cleaned the reel spindles but it still has a problem.
Half of the time the reels will spin ok but the other half they don't spin properly at all. The kicker seems to be doing its job but it's as though there's something binding or getting in the way of spinning freely. One thing I've noticed is, if I block the clock fan ( by pulling out the rod ), then pull the handle, the reels can't be positioned wherever I want. They are like jammed up because the payout levers are not withdrawing from the discs properly, or at all.
Attachments
P1020161.jpg
P1020160.jpg
P1020158.jpg
P1020157.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There are, I think, only four reasons for the reels not to run free when the clock is interrupted: the kicker, the payout disc lock at the rear of the payout discs, the vertical fingers or some item being bent or inserted to cause a blockage. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, the first three can be fixed in one go by adjusting the anvil lifting cog on the right side of the machine. The correct way to do this can be found here: Adjusting worn bandit "dog & cog" so cycle completes. This will cause everything to move a little further before the cycle starts to run down. but please handle with care.
platau

Post by platau »

Found the problem.
The lever at the back that runs from the clock and under a roller at the other end had a very dry pivot. A quick spray then oil and now its spring can pull it back and the reels run free.

Next problem is payout.
First up it wouldn't pay properly until I discovered that one of the fingers had a broken spring.
Next, sometimes a pay wouldn't drop the coins. I saw that the lever (like a trigger) that sits behind the pay slides didn't always pop out but a little persuasion with a screw driver would drop the coins. I adjusted the screw at the back of that lever and it seems to be alright now.

One pay has me stumped. It won't pay 3 queens. That's the only pay that's 14 coins. Any ideas there ?

Platau
platau

Post by platau »

Correction...It won't pay 4 queens either.

Think I'm starting to get how it all works now.
So am I right that these fingers represent each symbol ?
Are these fingers in order like "9" starting at the back, then "10", "7" , "8" , "jack", "queen" , "king", and so on ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It sounds like all of your major issues are down to excess dry grease, you're probably going to end up dismantling most of it bit by bit to clear it all out.
Rig a 4 Queen play then look at the vertical fingers.
There should be one that lines up all the holes on the payout discs.
Has it a weak spring? Lazy action? Been removed?
Or has it been rigged by having blanks fitted to the payout discs filling in the holes?

BP
platau

Post by platau »

I had another look before reading your reply .
The queen finger drops into the first reel disc only, then I checked the second reel. It has 2 queens and one has a blank insert. Why would that be there ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

To stop it paying out. !SMARTY!
They were only one type of bugs available to the operator to rig the machines payout %

Get a long thin screwdriver down between the discs and prise the bugger out.

While you're at it look for anymore, but before you remove those check the symbols on the win line. It was more usual when fitting a slug to stick a non winning fruit like a lemon over the one being altered.

BP
platau

Post by platau »

Ah so that's what they did. Cheatin' bastards.
Yeah no worries I was going to check all the symbols out tomorrow. I notice there is more than one blank in there.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just make sure they shouldn't be there before you remove them, sounds like the one in the Queens hole was a con but others might correspond to changes made to the reel strips as BP says, reducing the payouts but not conning you on the reel readouts, run through ALL the payouts possible listed on the payout card and see if they pay correctly.
platau

Post by platau »

I found 3 blanks and needed to remove 2 of them. That part of the payouts works well now.

Next : Sometimes the handle will jam because the coin will slip up and to the left when the handle is pulled instead of dropping straight through into the carousel. Jiggling the handle will allow it to drop.
Attachments
dd62b871-fcb1-4d9d-8d4e-096c00685331.jpg
tazmantic

Post by tazmantic »

Yes I believe so.
platau

Post by platau »

I put a light spring on there but it still jams. Must be something else cos when I push the handle back the coin will then drop into the carousel on the next pull.
platau

Post by platau »

I found that the double ball ended rod behind the coin mech was bent, so I straightened that out then adjusted it a bit longer so that the coin drops on to the lever I mentioned earlier requiring a spring.
So, that's fixed now. No handle jam.