Aristocrat Bobby Dazzler help

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
platau

Re: Aristocrat coin tubes

Post by platau »

Have to renew the cabinet now.
How do I get the handle out of the cabinet ?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

That's easy! With slight variations Aristo handles disassemble like this:

Remove the Damper pump which is attached to the handle and case with a split pin at either end and put it aside for servicing (see Servicing an Aristocrat damper pump).
Photo the handle mech first.
Remove the spring, remove the main handle lock washer which is held in place by a tiny screw (this lock washer MAY have disappeared over the years).
Remove the main bolt from the middle and things should start to fall out. The main handle bar itself might surprise you by coming out of its boss at this stage.
With all the parts removed that come loose when the bolt is out remove the three or four screws that hold the sleeve in place and remove the outside and inside parts.
Being an Aristocrat you should have a mass of parts ready to clean rather than the a few parts jammed together like you do with a Mills handle. Even the knob unscrews if you try hard enough.
Clean and lightly lube everything and then be relieved that you took a photo at the start. Reassemble the lot making sure to replace the fibre stops at the ends of the inner bracket travel.
Disassemble the pump as per the other post, clean, adjust and rebuild and you've got a brand new handle assembly. !SMARTY!
platau

Post by platau »

Thanks. That's great information.
I have had the handle out and fixed the pump as well.
What I also need to do is remove this handle pivot and bezel from the case because they're going to be powder coated. So, how do I get that out?
I can see three bolt heads behind the handle mechanism that probably hold the backing plate up against the inside of the machine but I can't see how the bolts would come out because the handle pivot is castellated in what appears to be a dovetail on the inner end where it goes through the actuation lever.
Attachments
P1020173.jpg
P1020171.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Not sure where you're going wrong with the handle removal.

Parts A,B,C come off when you remove the main bolt and the internal parts D comes off when you unscrew the flat head screw/bolts on the inside under the handle mech,
With all the parts removed that come loose when the bolt is out remove the three or four screws that hold the sleeve in place and remove the outside and inside parts
There is nothing else to remove :!?!:
Attachments
handle.jpg
platau

Post by platau »

OK thanks, that's what I thought.

What's this bracket for?
Attachments
P1020176.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Your machine does not have the standard Nevada coin tray so I'm guessing this is a non standard coin tray lock bracket.
platau

Post by platau »

I've got some new timber panels for the new cabinet from a local commercial shop fitter. Pick them up early next week.
All the chrome parts, front door, top surround, handle, handle pivot and bezel etc are going to the powder coaters tomorrow. Still trying to decide on the colour. I was going to go black but the signage (panels that light up) have a black background so it would be too much. I'm leaning towards a medium charcoal metallic with a gloss clear coat. Might do the rest of the machine exterior in a dark blue as I already have some beautiful laminex (for the timber cabinet top and around the footrest) that's dark blue with like gold spider webs through it. The new timber panels are a blonde/grey wood-grain.

PB1.jpg

This is the laminex. Is very dusty and still has the protective plastic on it but you'll get the idea. I think it will look great on the tiny countertop just underneath the coin tray and around the front and sides of the foot rest. I also have some almost black left over carpet tile to put on top of the foot rest.

A couple of other things : When I tighten the bolt (on the inside) for the handle pivot just enough so that the handle can still be operated freely, the handle is a little loose where it goes down through the pivot (C). So when the handle is pulled it rotates a little which causes wear on the handle bar (B). Is there a way to tighten this ?
Also, I can't get the knob off the handle. I would say it is threaded but I can see that there is glue as well. The powder coater says he bakes the job at 200 deg and I don't know if the knob will be destroyed at that temp. Is it made of Bakelite ? or some other plastic ?...Bakelite would be OK at 200 deg but anything else will be wrecked.
platau

Aristocrat Bobby Dazzler desperately needs help

Post by platau »

I was almost finished assembling my machine after having built a new cabinet and getting all of the chrome parts powder coated when I struck a problem.
I couldn't get the handle to go together. I spent ages trying to figure out why the tube that goes through the bush from the handle to the inside of the cabinet wasn't long enough, then I suddenly recalled that the bush was slightly recessed in its housing. Something has gone very wrong with the part when it was in the hands of the powder coater. I think the bush is probably heat pressed into the housing and I'm guessing that it came loose when they baked the powder coat.

To try to explain I have included photos of before and after.
Can anyone tell me, how far the bush is supposed to be recessed inside from the housing outside face ?

I'm going to go back and see them tomorrow. They will have to fix it but it's a bit of problem when I don't know to tell them any measurements. Good thing I've got a photo to show them.
Attachments
P1020171.jpg
P1020183a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Help needed desperately with Aristocrat

Post by coppinpr »

I'm sorry but I'm at a loss here. The after photo looks so different as to be a completely different machine! I can only assume you recessed the boss into the new wood case as it is clearly not the same shape as it used to be. Can I ask, why did you replace the case? Was it badly damaged in some way? I've never ever had one that did not clean up as new. What you have now might end up looking great but it will never be an authentic Aristocrat now.

Hard to say the position of the inner sleeve as I've never had to even remove one let alone totally rebuild one. Surely the position of the rest of the handle parts will show you the distance. :!?!:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Is this the machine as originally?

It's a little difficult to understand from your post what exactly is the issue, so could be a number of different reasons to explore to get you up and running.
Prior to reassembly within the cabinet did you reassemble all the handle parts outside of the cabinet? If so, did everything all seem to be correct then?

And just to be clear...

If you remove the starter bracket on the inside off the bush, does the bush go all the way through on its own or not?

GP
platau

Post by platau »

The old cabinet was severely water damaged. The previous owner had it under a car port and I'd say it copped a bit of rain hence the rusty chrome.
The cabinet was carefully measured and copied in exact detail including the way the handle goes through the timber.
All I have to do is get this handle fixed up and it's then finished.
As for working out the proper position for the bush from the other parts is pretty difficult in this case.

P1020191.jpg

Sorry about the blurry photo and the colours are not right either. I'll try to get a better one in daylight.
aristomatic wrote:Is this the machine as originally?
Yes that's the original machine.
Yes everything worked properly before.
I had the handle apart a few times and did reassemble without the cabinet. The cabinet has no bearing on how the handle fits.
And yes the bush did go through but now not far enough.
Last edited by platau on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aristomatic

Re: Help needed desperately with Aristocrat Bobby Dazzler

Post by aristomatic »

I'll leave you to it then.

GP
platau

Re: Help needed desperately with Aristocrat Bobby Dazzler

Post by platau »

I tend to have a photographic memory and while I was looking at it I suddenly had a flash back of the bush being level with the hub and not recessed at all.
Well the powder coater reheated the part and pressed the bush through but short by 1.5mm. He couldn't get it to go any further.
I managed to fix it by taking 1.5mm off the inside of the ring that the handle goes through and adding a 1.5mm ring to the inside of the machine.
The machine is all complete and working well now and looks fantastic too.
robwood

Need help with a Bobby Dazzler machine

Post by robwood »

Topic moved, merged & double topic removed - Site Admin.

I'm trying to restore my Bobby dazzler machine and having a few dramas. I pull on handle and it gets stuck half way.
coppinpr

Re: Need help with a Bobby dazzler machine

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome to the site, and I'm sure we can help, BUT !TWWP! ...we love photos, once we see it... we can help.
Attachments
bobby dazler.jpg
robwood

Post by robwood »

Thanks for the welcome mate, I will post a few pics no dramas.

In the last picture, should there be springs on the two levers? As I pull arm it stops half way, so I lifted the spring on the right, the coin dropped but the arm still stopped.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190121-011932a.jpg
Screenshot_20190121-011952a.jpg
Screenshot_20190121-012050~2a.jpg
Screenshot_20190121-012106~2a.jpg
Screenshot_20190121-013618a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Hello Rob,

I have this machine and assume you are in Aus.......

You mention missing springs and yes there should be one on the coin detector as I have highlighted with the blue arrow and you can see in the picture of a different machine below.

It would also be worthwhile ensuring the machine turns over correctly by presssing the bypass lever highlighted in red. When held you should be able to operate the machine
Attachments
32E98DFE-3C71-4F84-B878-EEED4C8D4FC4.jpeg
32E98DFE-3C71-4F84-B878-EEED4C8D4FC4.jpeg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
915A9EAD-2A94-439D-B140-7D465DD1D28B.jpeg
915A9EAD-2A94-439D-B140-7D465DD1D28B.jpeg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
robwood

Post by robwood »

Hey mate, yes I am in Aus. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my cries for help. I will definitely do what you have advised me to do.