Clearing Cascade coin jams

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
raj

Clearing Cascade coin jams

Post by raj »

Anyone who has had a Cascade will know how temperamental these are, especially with the later steel pennies. The extra thickness often causes jams at the coin exit hole. Rather than turn the machine upside down, and watch as the trips fall off the pins, a large magnet from an old microwave will easily move the steel coins around to free the jam. It won't however put the brass trips back where they belong!
Magnets on telescopic rods are also useful for retrieving steel balls from Allwin ball trays if the wrong sized ball is used, also for placing screws in hard to get to places.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Clearing Cascade coin jams

Post by pennymachines »

You can help to prevent Cascade coin jams by grinding the metal bit beneath the playfield coin exit aperture to a sharp bevel with a needle-ended file. Otherwise, the coin will often sit on the edge of this piece instead of falling through. If you then play again without clearing it (a sharp tap on the glass), another coin will fall on top of it: Voilà, coin jam!
jonathans257

Re: Clearing Cascade coin jams

Post by jonathans257 »

yes i have experienced this exact problem building my cascade operating on 10 pences i have ground an angle on the bottom of the exit steel work but experiences lots of problems so having to carry out numorous tweeks and adjustments , think i made it so accurate that one coin with a slight burr on it jams so thinking of adding a coin acceptor say a mechanical s1 or may add a paper gasket to slightly increase the clearance between the play field and the front glass .