Guest Posts

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
woody

Guest Posts

Post by woody »

Just a polite observation on the operation of the forum.

Is there any need to allow guests to post to the forum, without registering and signing in? Whilst I know IP addresses are registered, it would be nice when following a debate or thread to work out who is saying what for the sake on continuity, rather than trying to follow the conversation without knowing who is authoring each contribution.

Anyway just my twopenneth worth and to open up a debate. I enjoy using the site and am very grateful for the effort that has gone into it.

Best wishes to everyone

Woody
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Personally, I'm in favor of requiring registration for posting. This forum is not only a valuable tool for collectors but also an electronic Hyde Park of coin-op. Last time I was actually there, (Hyde Park that is, many years ago,) I did not see anyone wearing a mask. I like a spirited debate and there have been many here. I think if you have to put your identity on the line, it might soften the more mean-spirited comments that seem more interested in wounding as opposed to illuminating.
John Peterson, USA.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I guess I don't need to confirm that I am all in favour of registering.
If there has to be a place for them then I'd have thought Q & A was sufficient.
I've witnessed many excellent forums around the world degenerate through "Trolls" being disruptive.
The next question is multiple log ons. You don't have to go very far to witness somebody posting twice on the same thread under different identities, using one to be disruptive. Again there are forums where that is an immediate ban and removal.
Rules get in the way but unfortunately are necessary for an even playing field. You'll never rid yourself of determined opportunists, however Trolls are like petulant children if they can't easily get their fun here they'll move on.

Badpenny
ps If it really is too dificult to sing in, then tick the box and it'll do it for you.
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

Badpenny wrote: ps If it really is too dificult to sing in, then tick the box and it'll do it for you.
No thanks. I've heard your singing, and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. :mad:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

...... it's not the fact you've heard my singing that worries me it's the fact I only do it when I'm naked!!! :shock:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I take the view that it's worth tolerating 5 silly anonymous posts as the price to pay for a single interesting one.

The other strong disincentive to registering with a forum is having to divulge your email address. This requires a degree of trust because you don't know whether the site will protect it, pass it on for profit or carelessly display it as food for Spam bots.
I tend to use "throw away" addresses when joining a site to post a one-off question, but not everyone has spare email accounts. These email addresses bring in loads of Spam.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Completely agree with registering prior to posting anything in the Forum. If for no other reason than giving more authentisity to the views expressed.

Richard
JC

Post by JC »

I think I'm probably perched somewhere on the fence with this one. However, let's not forget that guests don't have to sign-in as 'GUEST' - they can choose a name, which would make things clearer in long threads which are dominated by guests' comments. At least we'd know which guest was saying what.

Jerry (not a guest)
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

On quite a few occasions I've signed in, but when I posted it came up as Guest. So maybe it's not always the poster's fault or intention.

If I spend too long on writing a post, I sometimes seem to be signed out again by the time I press Submit.