Aristocrat Olympic Top Score - What's it do?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotsoffun

Aristocrat Olympic Top Score - What's it do?

Post by slotsoffun »

Ok, I know its a stupid question? and obvious answers will persue...lol

But I picked up one that someone has "butchered", all wires cut inside, and bits removed and thrown in the cashbox... Obviously someone tried to fix then gave up... I might be joining them soon!!

But just wondered if anyone here owns this machine and can tell me what its supposed to do and if I've got bits missing? I've included a couple of pics, and my guess is...
The machine appears to only have a couple of slides, and from the front glass only appears to have two winning payouts. Pays out 4 coins for all types of winning symbols, and a token 5/- for jackpot. If you look at the picture of the broken gadget someone removed, this has a micro switch inside which I'm guessing controls the other payout option, "When top box lit, special symbol on first reel pays 5/-".
Have included the picture of the slide pay outs just in case others are interested, but I've never seen this type of slide system that handles both token and regular payouts - very clever idea!

So is my guess right? What I'd like to know, does this machine have any sound fx, or does it have any flashing lights. Because the whole thing is not working I've no idea if this is original? and is it easy to reconnect that gadget?
Attachments
Clever Token Pay Slide
Clever Token Pay Slide
Award glass front
Award glass front
Gadget broken
Gadget broken
Olympic
Olympic
aristomatic

Re: Aristocrat Olympic - Whats it do?

Post by aristomatic »

You may find this old thread helpful.
I have not seen that particular artwork before but it may just be another stable-mate of the Take Ten and other alternate artwork options using the same/similar multi bonus option.

Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Thanks for the link. Yes its internals are the same. However, the only thing that is different is the number of wires that go in to the mechanism via the plug on the left side of the mech.
On all other versions they have 2 wires, these operate the lights in the top box when a bonus win is active. I have these 2 wires too. However, on my machine they are an additional 4 wires that run along the back of the machine, and are then cut!
If you look at the photo of the rear there are the 2 brown wires (indicated by red arrow), and the additional 4 wires (indicated by white arrow), 2 of the wires are cut short so difficult to see in photo.

Just hoping that any one can shed some light on to what they think these may have been used for? I can not see any thing on the mechanism that is potentially electrical, or solenoid, or counter etc...
Any ideas guys much appreciated.
olympic5.jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Strangely the Italian Ascot machine I'm working on (see post) has the same token/coin combined slide set up. This was not the original Italian method but added much later in the UK. The slides have a locking peg that stops the token paying when the coins pay.
The broken gadget controls the length of time the special payout is lit. It simply advances once every pull until the latch drops and the switch goes off, switching off the light and (normally) the switch allowing the token slide to operate, but on yours I can't see how the token slide would know when to fire unless there was a solenoid somewhere. Any sign of a switch on the vertical payout levers? Sadly I don't think any of these had sound effects.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I can't see how the token slide would know when to fire unless there was a solenoid somewhere. No solenoid - the token payout is all mechanical. On all these types of machines that I have had, a separate vertical lever pays a token on all first reel symbols, except those without the surround around the symbol. All symbol positions with a surround on the first reel only have cutouts on the steel plate inline with the token vertical payout lever. This token lever is only operational when the cam is activated by the three special token symbols in the previous play cycle. Once the cam is deactivated (and the light goes out), this token lever is locked out again, so it cannot payout in normal play.

This system is great when working - really neat - but is very temperemental as it needs very fine tuning of the height of the cam with relation to the height of the vertical fingers and the lift pieces added get damaged or broken off. Very frustrating and very difficult to explain properly without the mech in front of you, but now you have read this you will know that.....

GP
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

Thanks guys for the help, I'm getting there...
I'm pretty sure there are no solenoids... but if you look at the picture, the ratchet wheel gets pushed around 1 click (tooth) each machine cycle - one of the vertical fingers push it round.
On the outer wheel (highlighted in yellow) there are 2 cut outs that allow the small pin (shown by big arrow) to drop in which does two things, switches a micro-switch (hidden other side of the wheel), and lowers the arm (indicated by small arrow) this part holds or releases one of the vertical fingers which releases the lowest pay out slide (the one that pays the token award).
I haven't quite worked out when the lights controlled by micro-switch come on or go off...
Any more ideas in the pot?
This sits above vertical payout levers
This sits above vertical payout levers

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've had several (not Aristocrat) machines with this type of cam all solenoid controlled. Now Aristo has explained the mechanical version, all becomes clear. He's right about another thing - these cams are always jamming or breaking. They are usually low on the mech and get very dirty, causing them to get stiff, which adds to the problem.

With the solenoid versions only one micro switch is needed, turning on and off the power to the lights and payout. On the mechanical version, you clearly need two switches - one mechanical - to allow the tokens to pay at the right time, and the micro switch to control the lights, which should come on and stay on the same number of clicks as the token payout.
coppinpr

Re: Aristocrat Olympic - What's it do?

Post by coppinpr »

coppinpr wrote:Strangely the Italian Ascot machine im working on (see post) has the same token/coin combined slide set up, this was not the original Italian method but added much later in the UK.
Here is a photo of the similar mechanical combined token/coin payout on my Italian "Ascot" machine, the token payout is released by the usual horizontal finger system same as all the other slides. The token slide is simply longer than the others so extends forward of the other slides and the token pays through a separate shoot
italian payout.jpg

malcymal

Re: Aristocrat Olympic - What's it do?

Post by malcymal »

Firstly, I do hope you can get your Olympic back in working order. I have never seen that artwork before and being a fan of these be nice to think this machine can be bought back to life again; it looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing the images!

Secondly, thanks to Coppinpr for showing what that token award device looks like for an Aristo. If anybody has got a spare one just like this and wishes to part with it, please stick it on the market and PM me.